Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Families of the Lounge

EstherWeis

Vendor
My German grandfather in 1945. He was 17
1bf0a4fce5375ccc1aa1f33af4080b25.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^^^ That just looks wonderful. I know your grandkids will look back on their childhoods ("children hoods" the word does not pluralize easy) and feel they were incredibly enriched because of you.

Thanks. I have the most wonderful memories of my Maw, and it's my hope that I can be at least half as good a grandparent that she was.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
For Father's Day, Hubby wanted to go fishing. He hadn't been in years, but loves going. We planned to incorporate that into our family summer vacation roadtrip last week. We drove 5 hours to the eastern side of our state. The area is mostly high desert, and prone to being very hot and dry. Imagine our surprise at finding this gem of a lake, and having 80° fishing weather. He didn't catch anything, but he taught Lily to fish. Priceless.

20160621_135057-1_zpsapobyufu.jpg

^^^Now that is just too cute.

Any idea of when / how dressing little kids in sailor suits started? As a classic movie fan, I can say it certainly was quite popular in the '30s.

Big Man

^^^Now that is just too cute.

Any idea of when / how dressing little kids in sailor suits started? As a classic movie fan, I can say it certainly was quite popular in the '30s.

I'm not sure when dressing children in sailor suits started, but I have an old family photo from around 1910 of my great uncle's son dressed that way.

I'm not sure when dressing children in sailor suits started, but I have an old family photo from around 1910 of my great uncle's son dressed that way.

That's pretty far back. Wonder how it started.

I have, at most, a handful of pictures of my '60s childhood - my parents were not into taking pictures - but there is one of me in a sailor suit, which meant it must have been common as my parents (really my mom, as my dad had no part in my childhood wardrobe, other than, as he would say, "paying for it") were not the type to "think" about this stuff and just bought what everyone else bought for their kid to wear.

And my '60s rig was nowhere near as extensive as you grandson's.

Just showed the picture to my girlfriend and she is swooning for your grandson: "he's ridiculously adorable and the shoes are insanely cute."

Last edited:

Big Man

Here is the photo of the sailor outfit I mentioned in my earlier post. This is my great uncle Sank Brown's son, Jim, and Jim's mother, Fae. Jim was born in 1914, and appears to be about two years old in this photo. If that's correct, then the photo was taken in 1916 or 1917.

Here's another old family photo. This is my great aunt Laura Brown Wood's son, Fulton. Fulton was born in 1907. I would guess Fulton was around six or seven in this photo, which would date the photo to around 1914. While this is not a "sailor" suit, it is a "military" theme. Since both these old family photos were taken around the same general time, possibly the influence of World War I was having an impact on children's dress styles. It's just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner