Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion Disasters OR Discovering My Inner Snob

MisterPaul

New in Town
I just finished a job interview with a young man, and I must say, he was a disaster! He was wearing a suit, so I was impressed with the effort, but he left all three buttons buttoned up while he sat. As a result, he had to sit bolt upright the whole time. I thought perhaps he simply wasn't schooled in proper suit wearing, but the small detail of leaving the sleeve label on the suit told me this man was a real rube.
I suppose I sound somewhat snobbish, but I was truly disgusted with his appearance. He bragged about his father's Marine Corp service, and yet this young man's shoes were dull and completely scuffed. I doubt they ever saw a daubing brush.
When he complimented my clothing, nothing more than a simple gray suit, blue shirt, burgundy tie and pocket square - I was really loathe to accept. I had no return on the compliment, which was highly uncomfortable.
It saddens me to see that dressing up these days means wearing a t-shirt without holes in it. I hope the fashion pendulum swings the other way soon.

Feraud

Bartender
I would cut the kid some slack. It sounds like he made an earnest effort. I have seen young people wear less at interviews. We should not expect young people to be fully formed fashion mavens at a young age.

Did he meet the technical requirements for the job?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
MisterPaul said:
I suppose I sound somewhat snobbish, but I was truly disgusted with his appearance. He bragged about his father's Marine Corp service, and yet this young man's shoes were dull and completely scuffed. I doubt they ever saw a daubing brush.

I think it's admirable that someone should exhibit such pride in his father. Also, the Marine Corps is far more than shoe shining, especially passing that practice down to your children. ;)

MisterPaul said:
When he complimented my clothing, nothing more than a simple gray suit, blue shirt, burgundy tie and pocket square - I was really loathe to accept. I had no return on the compliment, which was highly uncomfortable. It saddens me to see that dressing up these days means wearing a t-shirt without holes in it. I hope the fashion pendulum swings the other way soon.

Personally I always accept a respectful and honest compliment graciously, even if I have nothing complimentary to say in turn.

I agree that there is a lot of dreadful dressing down in business settings, but I agree with Feraud that it sounds like this kid should be cut some slack. I don't know if he was interviewing for a position at a men's clothing store- if so, I can see how his lack of attention to certain details would make him unqualified.

Edward

Bartender
I'd agree that he does at least seem to have made an effort, even if he got it "wrong".... Funnily enough, though, I've noticed that sleeve label issue before myself. I was just thinking about it at a wedding on Saturday as I noticed on another guest's sleeve a small depression where the label had obviously been recently removed. That so many people appear to keep them on these days I put down to the fact that we now live in a label and logo obsessed society. So many men simply aren't aware of the actual purpose of the sleeve tag, and so conditioned are they to garments bearing prominent logos that it's not really surprising for them to simply assume that the label is supposed to be there. Not that I'm any less despairing of the situation, of course, but if individuals are prepared to make the effort to wear a suit for an interview, maybe there's a spark there of some future promise...

Jovan

Suspended
Me and my friends would joke that it's so they can return them the next day. lol Seriously though, I've seen people wearing those XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXL tall Ts who leave the price tag hanging out... as if $9.99 at Champs Sports makes them rich.

It could have been a mistake on his part, or simple ignorance, or maybe he picked it up in a hurry and didn't see. Anyways, I would cut him some slack too. If he's qualified in every other way, there's no reason you couldn't hire him and tactfully give him some pointers on business dress. [huh]

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
MisterPaul said:
I just finished a job interview with a young man, and I must say, he was a disaster! He was wearing a suit, so I was impressed with the effort, but he left all three buttons buttoned up while he sat. As a result, he had to sit bolt upright the whole time. I thought perhaps he simply wasn't schooled in proper suit wearing, but the small detail of leaving the sleeve label on the suit told me this man was a real rube.

When he complimented my clothing, nothing more than a simple gray suit, blue shirt, burgundy tie and pocket square - I was really loathe to accept. I had no return on the compliment, which was highly uncomfortable.
It saddens me to see that dressing up these days means wearing a t-shirt without holes in it. I hope the fashion pendulum swings the other way soon.

Him wearing a suit at all shows it is swinging....

And seriously...instead of returning the compliment, maybe next time you could say 'Son, not sure if you know this, but you remove that tag....and its perfectly allowable to unbutton the buttons of the jacket when sitting'

How are people supposed to meet your high sartorial standards if you don't even -help- those who are TRYING....

carter

I'll Lock Up
I have to say that I agree with Feraud and PrettySquareGal. Not to be overly critical but to enlighten:

This was an opportunity to gently educate the applicant concerning his apparel After all, he opened the door.
You could have invited him to unbutton his jacket and be more comfortable. However, there may have been an issue with his shirt or tie that you were unaware of.
The label on the sleeve was probably an oversight. By gently pointing this out, you'd have done him a favor. Unless, of course, he was planning on returning the garment post-interview.
Reminding him that polished shoes make a difference would have been simple and helpful.

Look at it this way, if he was otherwise qualified and hired, you had an opportunity to be a mentor. If he was not hired, at least you would have given him some helpful pointers for his next interview.

If we do not seek to 1st understand we lose our opportunities to educate. Why not try to be an educator? There are enough critics to go around several times over.

One of the best things about the Fedora Lounge is the amount we all learn from one another.

:)

Jovan

Suspended
Miss Neecerie said:
How are people supposed to meet your high sartorial standards if you don't even -help- those who are TRYING....
I've been saying something to this point for some time here. It's not productive to sit back and make fun of those who aspire to dressing well when you can just talk to them, write a letter (if they're a celebrity you can't get within 100 yards of :p), maybe even write books (like Manton here) on the subject. Kind of like that thread where everyone sat back and demeaned the football players' dress even though they were wearing styles we all liked -- peaked lapels and waistcoated suits.

MisterPaul

New in Town
Thanks for the enlightening conversation. To elaborate, the fellow has most of the qualifications, so I will definitely have him back in the next round of interviews.
I hope next time he comes in, he'll be a bit more relaxed. I'll feel much more comfortable giving gentle hints and recommendations at that point. I suppose I never looked at myself as one who could mentor, but this thread, in it's short life so far, has given me a chance to change my viewpoint.
I strive to conduct myself with the behavior and attitude of a true gentleman, regardless of how out of date it might seem to some. Helping a well-intentioned young man would be a personal improvement.
I knew I could count on you all.

Feraud

Bartender
Not to go too off topic but what thread are you referring to in this comment?
Jovan said:
Kind of like that thread where everyone sat back and demeaned the football players' dress even though they were wearing styles we all liked -- peaked lapels and waistcoated suits.

To elaborate on another point.. if you think your well intentioned comments will be taken as an insult it is better to not give 'em at all. I am guilty of allowing people to give speeches with broccoli in their teeth and their flys open. ;) lol

Starius

Practically Family
On a somewhat related note, this reminds me of something we covered in a logic course I took back in college. I recall the professor saying that people hired based on resumes usually faired better in their respective work environment than people hired based off of in-person interviews, on a statistical average that is.
Apparently, when we (humans) are in that kind of interviewer position, we put greater emphasis in our own judgment of character than we do in credentials. Which ends up being a kind of logic fallacy issue more times than not.

As I recall, the book How we know what isn't so: The fallibility of human reason in everyday life is a good book on such things.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by MrPaul
Thanks for the enlightening conversation. To elaborate, the fellow has most of the qualifications, so I will definitely have him back in the next round of interviews.
I hope next time he comes in, he'll be a bit more relaxed. I'll feel much more comfortable giving gentle hints and recommendations at that point. I suppose I never looked at myself as one who could mentor, but this thread, in it's short life so far, has given me a chance to change my viewpoint.
I strive to conduct myself with the behavior and attitude of a true gentleman, regardless of how out of date it might seem to some. Helping a well-intentioned young man would be a personal improvement.

BRAVO! I'm glad this has been helpful to you and perhaps to the applicant.
I believe you may have just expanded your opportunities to further the inspiration of the FL! :eusa_clap

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
If this kid knew what a storm of controversy (tempest in a teapot) he's inspired, I wonder how he'd feel. Please keep us posted on his progress. I can see some sort of sitcom premise, or film concept here. This kid becoming a guinea pig for an unknown bunch of fashion experimenters. Maybe you could post secretly made pix of him as he progresses! Our own version of "What Not to Wear", combined with the "Truman Show". Poor guy! I wish him luck!

Starius

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
If this kid knew what a storm of controversy (tempest in a teapot) he's inspired, I wonder how he'd feel. Please keep us posted on his progress. I can see some sort of sitcom premise, or film concept here. This kid becoming a guinea pig for an unknown bunch of fashion experimenters. Maybe you could post secretly made pix of him as he progresses! Our own version of "What Not to Wear", combined with the "Truman Show". Poor guy! I wish him luck!

Heh heh, don't forget to mix a bit of "My Fair Lady" in there. Shall we take bets to see if he can make this young man dapper?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
MisterPaul said:

I know that as a young adult I was most appreciative of that kind of gentle & courteous mentoring. I am most grateful to those who took the time and care to do so.

Jovan

Suspended
Feraud said:
Not to go too off topic but what thread are you referring to in this comment?
The one about Beckham and his suits, which later digressed into a whole football team's three piece suits provided by Marks & Spencer.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It can be hard to get past a person's appearance. But it's worth it if the person has merit.

Why don't you submit an article to the campus newspaper of your local college on this subject? I'd keep it positive and mention some stores where students can buy nice clothes inexpensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael