Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion fads we love to hate

Jogging Suits

Cowboy boots with jogging suits,pants tucked in boots,large nugget watches,nugget bracelets,Rolex watches w/diamonds,quartz watches,cheezy new houses,vinyl jackets,the list could go on and on....

Feraud

Bartender
bburtner@moran said:
Cowboy boots with jogging suits,pants tucked in boots,large nugget watches,nugget bracelets,Rolex watches w/diamonds,quartz watches,cheezy new houses,vinyl jackets,the list could go on and on....
You just described exactly how I roll.. ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miles Borocky said:
I don't think any man off a ranch should ever wear cowboy boots...

Agreed. I believe in clothes suiting the wearer's lifestyle and the occasion. Do your shoes need to slide easily into a stirrup? Is your shirt likely to get caught in barbed wire? Are you out in the blinding western sunlight all day? No? Probably, you don't need to dress like a cowboy.

Caroline said:
In ladies fashion a few years ago, there was a big push for these odd, knee length "shorts" for the office, in tweeds and in suiting fabrics. You were supposed to wear them with tall boots. Yuck! I can't bring myself to find a photo of an example. In my head I called them "the new urban sombrero" ala Seinfeld. Happily, they are in the past for the most part.
Makes me think of those ladies shorts called (spelling) coollotts. Rare for them to look good on anyone.

Send in the Clowns!

in the late sixties or early seventies, culottes may have looked good in diagrams and posed pictures but in motion and use they tended not to hang correctly eventually looking clownish at best.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
Agreed. I believe in clothes suiting the wearer's lifestyle and the occasion. Do your shoes need to slide easily into a stirrup? Is your shirt likely to get caught in barbed wire? Are you out in the blinding western sunlight all day? No? Probably, you don't need to dress like a cowboy.

I really have to disagree. Cowboy boots are cool on any number of people. many men would look silly in anything else. I have a few pairs but never really wear them. Not really me.

Wearing boots off a ranch are no worse than us wearing old clothes of a different era.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
Makes me think of those ladies shorts called (spelling) coollotts. Rare for them to look good on anyone.

Not sure how they differ from gouchos, but those should be left for the gouchos.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
My biggest complaint is the hipster kids in their emo/punk/proto 70s punk shag haircuts etc. i do not object to the look. I simply object to the fact that it is just a rehash of old looks and they all look almost exactly the same in their particular trend.

Of course many here including me wear an exact copy of a vintage look, but we do it on purpose. these kids don't really have any idea of the history, except the trendsetters who while showing no creativity, at least often have an idea of the history. the rest think it is their own new modern look.

back in my day (old man rant) we were rather creative (new wave days) and whatever look you wanted to do was cool as long as it was original and creative. these kids today all just copy trends.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
The Wingnut said:
I tuck my Hawaiian (or similar, I have just a few hawaiians) shirts if I'm wearing nice trousers with them and an appropriate belt & buckle. I feel like a slob with an untucked button-up shirt, and if I feel like a slob, I'm not relaxed. It's not all about the look I project, it's about how comfortable I am in my clothes.

Conversely, I'm in t-shirt and jeans right now, and I've got my shirt untucked. My day-to-day clothes are pretty run of the mill(Dickies jeans, ringer tees and PF Flyers) and tucking in my t-shirt feels a bit awkward unless I'm wearing a jacket that the shirt will hang below, or if it's cold out.

I wear vintage hawaiian shirt tucked into high rise vintage slacks, often under a 40s sportcoat such as a houndstooth check. It is a great look and generally how they were worn back in the day. I wouldn't tuck it into jeans I guess, but then again, i wouldn't wear it with jeans.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
in the late sixties or early seventies, culottes may have looked good in diagrams and posed pictures but in motion and use they tended not to hang correctly eventually looking clownish at best.

John, I second that! and as you say --- Bring in the clowns!:icon_smil :icon_smil :icon_smil ---lol

culotte- gaucho- midcalf, whatever this horror is called, in my opinion,is nothing short of agonizing ugliness.

clam-gaucho-top001v1-300.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
I really have to disagree. Cowboy boots are cool on any number of people. many men would look silly in anything else. I have a few pairs but never really wear them. Not really me.

Wearing boots off a ranch are no worse than us wearing old clothes of a different era.

If someone has a ranch or grew up on one, I'll buy that. But a dentist from New Jersey who feels he is really a cowboy at heart is kind of a stretch.

I am sure we'll get some responses to this but here goes:

One thing that I find annoying is when the youth of today follow some fad that would to most people seem to have obvious drawbacks like scarification, facial piercings and excessive tatoos. Here is the thing in order to show their individuallity they follow the crowd in these out of the ordinary tactics to say, "Look at me and How cool I am!" Then when you do look they get pissed off. Or they try to act as if it's some sort of "political" statement. But first off you aren't supposed to look or (gasp horror!) "judge."

You can't get a Mohawk and expect people not to look!

I have to question if that underaged teen actually knows what that tounge piercing is actually for, making a decision to get one if they don't know and what their parents influence is on them if they do know.

There seems to be a general coarsening of life with a trend to extend the outrageous. A lot of people's lives are certainly going to take some really heavy duty councilling later on.

just_me

Practically Family
Paisley said:
If someone has a ranch or grew up on one, I'll buy that. But a dentist from New Jersey who feels he is really a cowboy at heart is kind of a stretch.
SNORK!! lol

That made me think of the upper-middle-class suburban white kids dressing ghetto and talking gangsta.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
HadleyH said:
John, I second that! and as you say --- Bring in the clowns!:icon_smil :icon_smil :icon_smil ---lol

culotte- gaucho- midcalf, whatever this horror is called, in my opinion,is nothing short of agonizing ugliness.

clam-gaucho-top001v1-300.jpg

I dont know.....:rolleyes:

4411_1.jpg

I think these look pretty cool...Granted they are from the 30s, but still.

LD

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
I think these look pretty cool...Granted they are from the 30s, but still.

LD

Yes, they do look rather good, but again, that's a drawing, everything can look good in a drawing. The ones I have encountered, don't look like that!:(
I suppose at the end of the day,it's all a matter of taste, you like them or you don't. [huh] :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
HadleyH said:
Yes, they do look rather good, but again, that's a drawing, everything can look good in a drawing. The ones I have encountered, don't look like that!:(
I suppose at the end of the day,it's all a matter of taste, you like them or you don't. [huh] :)

I think the length makes a real difference. The '30s version seems to come just below the knee, the modern ones are much too long. Mid-calf pants on just about anyone make the legs look stumpy.

Culottes were widely promoted in the late '30s for bicycling wear -- the ancestral version of the "pedal pushers" of the fifties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred