Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion fads we love to hate

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
- Of late, I've seen very many men wearing db jackets and blazers...... gaping wide open. Something about a DB jacket (it's fine with overcoats, though) gaping like that just looks all kinds of swrong to me.

I see that quite often up in these parts, as well.

Oh.... here's a thing that drives me nuts: too-long jeans trodden on til they wear to a ragged tail at the back. Simply hideous. I admit I buy mine too long on purpose - so that I can have the cuffed look I like. But to walk on them til they fray out? Seriously, whoever decided that tramp-chic was the way to go?

The heels of my jeans tend to get completely frayed, but I don't buy jeans that are to long. When I'm at home, without shoes, I guess they're just long enough. But I snip the threads ;) Plus, I buy sturdy jeans, not thin fashion ones, so they last a lot longer.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
hawaiian shirt

TheSwingingBee said:
On the subject of Hawaiian shirts, I hate when people tuck them in, it just doesn't look right. They're for relaxing so relax people!
Hm, this is interesting. I agree with you completely regarding the untucked hawaiin shirt look for men, but what about women? Did women wear them in the 50s, and if so how and with what? Did they have a huge man's shirt untucked with shorts:eek: ? I have one that's my size, that I was thinking of wearing tucked in with capris and an elastic cincher belt... Please let me know how/if women wore them back in the day!

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
cherry lips said:
Hm, this is interesting. I agree with you completely regarding the untucked hawaiin shirt look for men, but what about women? Did women wear them in the 50s, and if so how and with what? Did they have a huge man's shirt untucked with shorts:eek: ? I have one that's my size, that I was thinking of wearing tucked in with capris and an elastic cincher belt... Please let me know how/if women wore them back in the day!

I don't know if women wore Hawaiian shirts in the 50's, but I wouldn't doubt it. I imagine worn tucked in, sort of a blouse style, one would look perfectly fine.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I tuck my Hawaiian (or similar, I have just a few hawaiians) shirts if I'm wearing nice trousers with them and an appropriate belt & buckle. I feel like a slob with an untucked button-up shirt, and if I feel like a slob, I'm not relaxed. It's not all about the look I project, it's about how comfortable I am in my clothes.

Conversely, I'm in t-shirt and jeans right now, and I've got my shirt untucked. My day-to-day clothes are pretty run of the mill(Dickies jeans, ringer tees and PF Flyers) and tucking in my t-shirt feels a bit awkward unless I'm wearing a jacket that the shirt will hang below, or if it's cold out.

And flip flops? From a practical standpoint, if the Air Force sees fit to ban them from public wear other than poolside and gym environments on all bases, that's good enough for me. I have one pair, and they're left over from basic training; they were referred to as 'shower shoes', and that's where we wore them - they keep your bare feet off of the floor and prevent transmission of funky foot disorders. They're a health and safety hazard, far too easy to trip while wearing, lose one and injure your foot, get debris between one's foot and the footbed and injure yourself or get an infection. They're fine at the beach and around the house, completely wrong for wear about town, and absolutely inappropriate for any professional environment.

Edward

Bartender
Mr_Misanthropy said:
I don't know if women wore Hawaiian shirts in the 50's, but I wouldn't doubt it. I imagine worn tucked in, sort of a blouse style, one would look perfectly fine.

Trying to put this delicately, but I should imagine that for a lady with a sizeable bust in comparison to her midriff, it would be necessary to wear the shirt tucked in otherwise it would make her look much larger all over than she actually is. Bearing in mind the boxy cut of a typical Hawaiian shirt... Me, I'd wear it untucked - just like Elvis. ;)

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
As far as tucked or untucked, with Hawaiian shirts, I think it's merely a question of preference. Male or female. I believe both are period accurate. Whatever looks good on you. Me, I'm pale and skinny.. I look like a Chinese lantern if I wear any colorful shirt with a print.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Naama said:
Very thight jeans.

Naama
:eek:fftopic: Totally off topic, why do you call yourself "face"?

Apart from that, I leave the fashion fads to others, and that includes dislikes, as well. But then again when my 13 year old son wants to wear a stupid structured baseball cap with oversized hooded sweatshirt and oversized jeans, I may get a bit annoyed...

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr. Rover said:
vesta_kmotr1.jpg
vesta_kmotr1_2.jpg

I don't know about you, but looking like a fat, sweaty, balding mafioso is not my idea of being stylish.

Exactly - but the unbuttoned vest is the least of his problems... ;)

Miss 1929

CharlesB said:
I must say that I can be pretty anal about dressing. That being said...I have always and will always wear my Converses with every thing. Suits, jeans, it doesnt matter. The day I cant wear a pair of converse all star high tops with a suit, is the day the terrorists win!

My husband threw one of our friends out of our wedding for wearing Allstars with his tux. Made him go home and change shoes.

But I like you anyway!

Edward

Bartender
Miss 1929 said:
My husband threw one of our friends out of our wedding for wearing Allstars with his tux. Made him go home and change shoes.

But I like you anyway!

Is that the fine line between fashion and fascism? :p ;)

BegintheBeguine

I did it. I bought flip-flops from Target yesterday. Why? To wear to work? Dinner? Cocktails? Dancing? The airshow? The pug meetup? An airplane trip? The White House?
No. I'm packing them in the suitcase for my business trip, where I'll need something to walk from the room to the swim pool. I'd rather wear wedgies with my Maxine of Hollywood but with the dressy clothes and ballgown and all I have to pack I didn't want to take up any extra room or weight, and some hotel pools disallow street shoes.
It's true, flip-flops aren't street shoes.
I hate feeling the thong between the toes, so uncomfortable. At $2.50, and only to wear around the hotel they fill the need. Grr.

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
I've got one, I don't know if it's been previously mentioned as I didn't go too far back into the thread...

patent leather EVERYTHING!

I've been looking for a nice pair of shoes and a new purse for weeks and everything I find looks like it's been shalacked twice over.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
ShesSoVaVaVoom said:
I've got one, I don't know if it's been previously mentioned as I didn't go too far back into the thread...

patent leather EVERYTHING!

I've been looking for a nice pair of shoes and a new purse for weeks and everything I find looks like it's been shalacked twice over.

Pleather is even worse!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael