Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion fads we love to hate

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
BegintheBeguine said:
Really? I always bought my dad, hubby and roommate clothes that fit and look well on them. My hubby, who likes to shop, buys clothes for himself that makes him look like a toddler. Or Eminem.

That is so funny that you say that.
I always refer to guys that dress that way as "Baby-Men".
Especially if they are a bit overweight.

Big T
Oversized Shorts.
Big Ball Cap on sideways.

Cracks me up.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Clothing with visible logos of any kind (unless it's your own company's logo). What an amazing con! Marketing weasels have somehow convinced people that it's cool to pay for the privilege of advertising their brand. P.T. Barnum would have loved it!

Also high on my hate list are the previously ridiculed big baggy shorts and t-shirts with sideways ball caps, crocs worn anywhere outside the garden, and flip-flops worn anywhere other than the beach by anyone other than Jimmy Buffett.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Here's my short list...

1. Those tiny little skirts that look more like a wide belt made to be worn over some sort of legging.
2. Men who can't fit themselves properly in a suit. It's OK to buy off the rack, but know your size and if you are disporportionate, get it tailored!
3. A vest sweater over an under shirt.
4. Pullover style jackets with sports logos...with a shirt and tie.
5. Wearing white after Labor Day!

BrewCrew

New in Town
Some women's fashions I find unattractive are smock tops and those long retro sweater coats. IMO the smock tops make every woman look pregnant and the sweater coats just look ragged and low end to me.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Wow..i can't believe flip-flops are a no-no:( i could sit here and type for a full 20 minutes about why i love them so much..especially the cheap purple ones i am wearing right this minute that i bought for $3.99 at the hardware store:D but enough about my flip flops...

I really hate that people wear sleep pants out in public, they're pajamas people!!

I don't like all those pointy-toed shoes that are so hot right now, either..you could impale someone with those things.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Longish, untucked T-shirts worn over jeans. I know this is the de facto National Costume of 21st Century America, but I'm not just being a grumpy 1940s throwback in criticising it. There are sound reasons for considering this look to be a blight on the landscape -- it's simply not flattering to maybe 90 percent of the people who wear it. It's fine if the wearer is tall and thin, but any shorter, stockier person wearing it ends up cutting their legs even shorter and giving themselves an even blocker, stockier torso. On most adult men, especially, the look is not unlike that of a Peanuts character -- all head and torso and no legs at all.

There may be those who see some appeal in looking like Charlie Brown, but I am not one of them. Get a shirt that fits properly, America -- tuck it in, pull up your pants and shape up!

the tall Tee shirt. Since when did an 80 year old man's pajamas become fashionable?

Why all the hate for hooded sweatshirts? It's very economical. A warm sweatshirt that covers your head. Ingenious.

Waistcoats that don't cover the belt buckle look silly.

Copper

One of the Regulars
Warbaby said:
Also high on my hate list are the previously ridiculed big baggy shorts and t-shirts with sideways ball caps, crocs worn anywhere outside the garden, and flip-flops worn anywhere other than the beach by anyone other than Jimmy Buffett.

I have to say that aesthetics aside, I love the super baggy jean/short trend, especially when combined with crocs, flip flops or any other ill-fitting footwear. These trends are often adopted by youthful ne'er-do-well sorts, you see.

Such otherwise ill-advised sartorial choices make them so much easier to catch when they run from a stolen car or a break and enter.

:)

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
What's even worse is having the waistcoat tucked in your trousers! :mad:

I saw a commercial that had a young man wearing a pocket square in the upper breat pocket of his waistcoat which suggests that it's outerwear. Removing your coat in the office is fine, but I don't think of a waistcoat as the top layer in business attire.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
For me personally I hate those "pregnant tops", but if others wear them that's fine with me. I don't care what other people wear. I rarely notice other people when I go out, anyway [huh]

The Shirt

Practically Family
Today on the street

I saw a young man sporting a nice dark grey suit and tie with flip flops. Ratty old flip flops. And a ratty red back pack. While chugging a sport drink.

I wanted to scream. Flip flops with formal clothes - has it really come to this?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
The Shirt said:
I saw a young man sporting a nice dark greay suit and tie with flip flops. Ratty old flip flops. And a ratty red back pack. While chugging a sport drink.

I wanted to scream. Flip flops with formal clothes - has it really come to this?

There is a guy at my office who always wears really baggy, ill-fitting suit trousers with a button up shirt and a tie - with ratty tennis shoes and a baseball cap.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
News anchor? ;)

The Shirt said:
I saw a young man sporting a nice dark greay suit and tie with flip flops. Ratty old flip flops. And a ratty red back pack. While chugging a sport drink.

The Shirt

Practically Family
He was a great looking young man. All I could think was - no thanks. I don't mind them at all with casual wear mind you. Sometimes people have it almost right and them "ka-pow!" no way.

Oh and I get the "my feet hurt and I need to walk a few blocks/miles downtown syndrome". But I started to think maybe he has a foot fungus he desparately needs to air out. :p All is forgiveable of course - but it looked rather funny anyway.

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
rikrdo said:
I LOVE Flip -Flops !! :eek:

Here in sunny Caly-for-nee-uh (for you Ah-nold lovers ;) ), Im in shorts 8 months a year.
What the heck else do ya wear with shorts???

Girls: Keep paintin them toes (french tips are especially nice) and keep wearin them flip-flops !!

I'm with you on this one, I think we have kind of our own look out here though. My bf wears shorts and button down Hawaiian shirts most days after work, with flip flops. I don't know when it's over 70 most days I find it hard to get into jeans most of the time.

On the subject of Hawaiian shirts, I hate when people tuck them in, it just doesn't look right. They're for relaxing so relax people!

My biggest pet peeve though was those hoodies a year or so ago that zipped up to cover your face usually with a skull or something else equally grotesque.

And I second everyone here about wearing clothing that doesn't fit you particularly well. I think clothes fitting should be taught in schools, how to dress for one's figures, like if you're short don't wear skirts that hit just above your ankles, it makes you look quite a bit shorter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff