Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion Faux Pas. Wearing new hat at home?

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Anyone else break in their new hat by wearing it around the house while doing their chores? I'm wear my Federation with denim shorts, tee shirt and sneakers. I go out to dump the trash and my neighbor is weeding his yard, I scurry in before he spots me as it's a rather ridicules look. LOL.

vonwotan

Practically Family
When I received my hat from Art I did not want to take it off my head and would have worn it to bed had I found the right combination of bolsters and other pillows so I would not damage his work of art. :D

Rules were made to be broken!

S

Samsa

I frequently wear new (vintage or otherwise) hats around the house, in order to get the hat to conform to my head. When I just started wearing proper hats this helped me to get used to the way they looked on my head, and I was thus less self conscious about wearing them in public.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
cooncatbob said:
Anyone else break in their new hat by wearing it around the house while doing their chores? I'm wear my Federation with denim shorts, tee shirt and sneakers. I got out to dump the trash and my neighbor is weeding his yard, I scurry in before he spots me as it's a rather ridicules look. LOL.

A ridiculous look? Trust me, you'll get over it!!!:D In any event, at least you're outside when your neighbor spots you. How about those times when an unexpected guest arrives only to find you with a lid on inside??? BTW, you'll get over that, too...:D

I especially make a point of wearing hats that I've stretched a tad, just to make sure that they settle in at their new size. So, no, cooncatbob, you're not alone!!!

Should we start a support group? :)

Cheers,
JtL

Earp

One of the Regulars
You're not alone Bob. I have done this now and then, especially when I get a new hat. I just want to have it on my head. Sometimes the wife smiles about it. But she says I look really good in my hats and likes it when I wear 'em! Yep, I married the right woman! :)

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Morning garb while sipping coffee in the driveway: Bathrobe, slippers...fedora du jour. AND I greet the neighbors, joggers and various dog walkers with a tip of said chapeau. I am what I am and that's all that I am!

What one does in the privacy of ones own home.

Heck, I have been so overjoyed to get a 'new' hat
that I have worn it in my undies and even (gasp)
in the nude!

Well I guess it's not really not nude since I am wearing the hat, but well you know what I mean.

Just don't answer the door like that! :eek:

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love that sentiment, Popeye!

Mr. Lucky said:
Morning garb while sipping coffee in the driveway: Bathrobe, slippers...fedora du jour. AND I greet the neighbors, joggers and various dog walkers with a tip of said chapeau. I am what I am and that's all that I am!

I always say, " I am what I am. I do what I do. I be what I be!" That's me!

-dixon cannon

Stoney

Practically Family
Well Bob, I figure that most of the folks here have the same feelings about their hats and would be suprised to find anyone here that hasn't worn their hats around the house, just because it felt good to put one on.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
I often wear one of my hats while perusing the FL!.....just to keep the feeling right! I'm glad to see we all suffer the same affectation!

-dixon cannon

I do that all the time too, sets the mood. Right now I'm wearing a dark brown stingy brimmed Stetson. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in my affliction. lol

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Nope, not alone! I often wear one of my fedoras while reading the lounge. I've also had it on most of the night, as I work on a screenplay -- same as browsing the Lounge; it helps me be in the right mood. :)

-Tofu

Rooster

Practically Family
I work at home in a basement shop. It's darned cold down there 50* to 60* so I wear a hat in the house all the time in the winter. I don't in the summer, and would never wear a hat at someone else's house. It's a matter of practicality more than a style statement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou