Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion with Aunt Flow

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
I dont know, I think there IS a secret sidewalk plot, and they have your name and mine on a list :mad:

LD

It's very good to know that I'm not the only one who believes in this secret plot. That' why tourists come to San Francisco - not to see the sights or ride the cable cars - but to make me late for work.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
GI Problems

I've been reading a book called No More Digestive Problems by a Dr. Yoshida, a gastroenterologist whose practice caters to women. She says that menstrual problems can be related to the digestive system and that our GI systems are a little more sensitive than men's. If you have bad menstrual problems, it might be worth checking out.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Bit late in on this one, sorry. While I'd rather not go out with Auntie F for the first couple of days, it's no big hassle. Just management. Back then I guess it must have been pretty awful, but, since the 30s Auntie F was effectively and diplomatically got around by using various versions of a product now back in use today. Anybody interested either for practical purposes or history, trying googling Mooncup.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Just bringing this oldie back to the top.

Does any one have any insight on what types of herbal remedies ladies might have used back in the day? I realize with modern technology we have those lovely head packs from ThermaCare and Midol, but what do you suppose they would have done without them?

Midol/Advil/OTC pain relievers do nothing for me. My pain is so severe that I can barely move. The week before I get bad cramping and terrible mood swings, and then once it starts, the pain just does not go away. It gets so bad that on numerous occasions I've been doubled over in pain, and even thrown up because it hurts so bad; the bloating is awful - some days I look like I'm 6 months pregnant! :eek:
I've gone to the doctor for these troubles, but she says nothing is wrong.

A few years ago I was sent to the hospital for a sharp stabbing pain in my lower abdomen/side (about where your ovaries are located). It was very painful and tender to the touch. I had a CT scan done...they couldn't find any issues (then again they couldn't get the contrast IV to stay in my arm :rolleyes: ) but knew there was infection. They didn't know what it was from (ruled out appendicitis), so prescribed Levaquin and I was on my way. After taking the antibiotic, I felt really good. I mentioned this to my current doctor, asking what it might have been - thinking perhaps a cyst or something ruptured. She didn't say much. (I think it's time to find a new doctor!) Since then, I've had the same types of stabbing pains on the same side, not constantly like before, but still very painful and uncomfortable.

Anyway...I'm just curious what would have been done in cases of PMDD and severe pain...just hot water bottles and suck it up? Would they have taken some kind of herbal remedy?

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Not herbal, but a lot of old books always seem to dose woman who are having "womans probs" with laudamum (sp)and other poppy drugs. And they think we have drug probs today.[huh]

Kim_B

Practically Family
pretty faythe said:
Not herbal, but a lot of old books always seem to dose woman who are having "womans probs" with laudamum (sp)and other poppy drugs. And they think we have drug probs today.[huh]

Yeeeaaahhh...I'm sure that would go over really well these days! lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Some of the ones I have heard of as being associated with this are:

Cramp Bark
Chaste Tree
yarrow

*disclaimer* But as with all things medical..I am not a dr..or a herbalist...so this is just what I have read in books...

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
This is a very long post, and I apologize. This is a topic I feel strongly about. If you read any of it, pease read the bit about the book that is the second half of my post.

Endometriosis won't show up on a CT scan or an ultrasound. The fact that they didn't find anything isn't conclusive. If they did an ultrasound and you had a cyst, it should have shown up.

I am going through a bit of this myself. In July of 2006, the first month I tried to get pregnant, I didn't ovulate. I had a terrible cycle with abnormal bleeding after 48 days, and considerable pain associated with it. I was very tender in the ovary area with a constant dull ache that alternated with shooting pains.

They told me they thought it was a cyst and that they usually resolve on their own. So I trusted their opinion and didn't get an ultrasound done. Having tests done for every little thing is what causes insurance to be so high, so I try to just chill out.

I was still having the dull ache and the sharp pains in October so I went back. They did an ultrasound and didn't find anything wrong. I had many ripe follicles, but no cyst. My OB suggested it could be Endo, and to take motrin. Unless the pain was crippling, she wouldn't do anything.

I continue to have a constant dull ache with the sharp pains. I haven't ovulated now in July, November, January, February or March. Makes getting pregnant rather hard :(

I am now seeing a fertility doctor. He basicly told me that the only way he can figure out for sure what is causing the pain would be to do an exploratory surgery, and that is more of a last resort thing. He suggested that it could be endometriosis, or any number of things that won't show up on scans. Endo can be very, very painful.

I think you need to find a new OBGYN that will listen to you. Mine wasn't taking me seriously, thank goodness the fertility OB is. He seems to think that he can easily fix my ovulation problems ::yay::

The only thing that works for me with terrible cramps are vicodin that I got for all my dental problems. While mine aren't as bad as yours, they are pretty unpleasant. Is your OB willing to perscribe something for the mood swings? If you do have PMDD, an anti-depressant can work wonders.

Important section!

I also have THE most wonderful book to reccomend. Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. Link This book has been amazingly wonderful. Just read some of the 900 positive reviews about how this book changed women's lives! It is a factual book about how our bodies work. Our reproductive system is like an amazing orchestra playing together at the same time. But if one instrument is off, you notice it. This book goes beyond the basic health class information and really teaches how things work and how to identify problems by charting your waking temperature. Charting what your temperature is when you wake is the key to the book.

There is SO much mis-information out there still, that OBs continue to perpetuate. The whole "every woman ovulates on day 14" thing is a complete myth. And because OBs tell women to try to get pregnant around that day of their cycle, alot of women are trying at the wrong time! I ovulate on day 19 or 20. If I didn't know this, I would NEVER get pregnant! Or, if I was trying to avoid getting pregnant, the results could be disasterous.

There is so much information that can be found in charting your temperature when you wake each day. Things like: having thyroid problems will appear through charting. Knowing when you ovulate. Having a luteal phase defect. Having an egg get fertalized but then not implant. It's all there in your waking temperatures. And the reasons for it are scientific. Not soft-mushy science.

I strongly recommend that EVERY woman read that book. There is so much myth that we think is truth. This book empowers you to be in charge of your body. I can now talk to my OB with knowledge and say " I KNOW I didn't ovulate. Something is wrong and you need to listen to me!" If I didn't have this information, I could wind up taking drugs that I don't need, having surgeries that aren't necessary, or just waiting forever to get pregnant.

Empower yourself, arm youself with knowledge, and start taking back our bodies from the dark ages where women went into hiding during their menses! You will appreciate your body, respect it, and never think it is gross again!

::ahem:: Ok, I will step down off my soap box now. This book made a huge impact in my life, if you can't tell. I really belive in it, and in arming yourself with knowledge. This is probably one of the most important books I have ever read. Please, read it, I will happily loan out my copy :)

Kim_B

Practically Family
Wow, GoldLeaf - thanks!
I am like you - I hate going to the doctor or having procedures done unless it's absolutely necessary because it just makes insurance that much more expensive, not to mention I feel like a hypochondriac, reacting to every little thing that I think is wrong with me.
I am due to go in for my annual in August, and there are a couple women's centers in my area - I am going to go there instead of my usual doctor. I just want some one to take me seriously when I tell them that I hurt so bad I can't move! I will have to take a look at the book you mentioned - thanks!

Fleur - I've read up on Endometriosis, and have wondered if that could be it. I always hate reading things like that because you see the list of symptoms and think "Hey, that's me!" but in reality you can just be fooling yourself into thinking that so you have some peace of mind.

I think my best bet would be to make a list of all the symptoms and when they happen and take it to the doctor with me...

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
not sure about golden era, but i know one herbal remedy from the past is red raspberry leaf tea. i think it works best when you drink it often throughout the month. traditional medicinals sells it in the bag, but i'm sure you could get it much cheaper at an herb shop and use a strainer, and find instructions online. i'm sure pot has been used extensively in the past as well (although i am not advocating its use now as it is illegal). the acupuncture clinic i worked at had chinese herbal patents they often prescribed for menstrual "side effects", but you'd have to see an acupuncturist or chinese herbalist for those.

cutting out dairy, salt and sugar a couple weeks before helps me as well.

epr25

Practically Family
Kim_B said:
Just bringing this oldie back to the top.

A few years ago I was sent to the hospital for a sharp stabbing pain in my lower abdomen/side (about where your ovaries are located). It was very painful and tender to the touch. I had a CT scan done...they couldn't find any issues (then again they couldn't get the contrast IV to stay in my arm :rolleyes: ) but knew there was infection. They didn't know what it was from (ruled out appendicitis), so prescribed Levaquin and I was on my way. After taking the antibiotic, I felt really good. I mentioned this to my current doctor, asking what it might have been - thinking perhaps a cyst or something ruptured. She didn't say much. (I think it's time to find a new doctor!) Since then, I've had the same types of stabbing pains on the same side, not constantly like before, but still very painful and uncomfortable.

Anyway...I'm just curious what would have been done in cases of PMDD and severe pain...just hot water bottles and suck it up? Would they have taken some kind of herbal remedy?

My boyfriends ex wife has a thing called IC and your symptoms sound like what she suffers with. I don;t know what that stands for but I know it has to do with your bladder. You might want to check that out.

epr25

Practically Family
On this subject I found some old Cosmos from the 40's and I was shocked to see that there were adds for Tampx in there. I had no idea that those were available then. For some reason I thought that tampons were mor eof a 60's thing? I am so sure so many women must have prefered Tampax to those giant boat cushion pads and belts they had to wear.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Actually, tampons were invented in 1929 and submitted for patent in 1931. They were first sold in 1936. I was amazed to learn that, too!

This website I found features some vintage ads...this is thought to be the first brand of "internal sanitary napkin" marketed.
fax.gif

http://www.mum.org/faxAd.htm

kerry

One of the Regulars
Hi, Does anyone have any good remedies for the emotional side of pms? I can cope with the physical side, although I do like to wear loose clothing and have to take pills for tension headaches. I just get very tearful and very grumpy for about a week beforehand. My job doesnt help as I spend alot of time dealing with cross people.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I find that when I'm pms-ing/emotional, chocolate is about the only thing that makes me happy!
Diet has been a key factor to keeping symptoms low key...wheat free, little sugar and low salt diet...if I stay good to eat this way, I really have no cramps, no bloating and hardly none of the pms moodiness- mostly, emotionally wise, I just need a little bit of space.
This month was a bit unusual (lots of get togethers) and ate way too much of what I knew I was supposed to stay away from...the cramps were so bad that I was in a fetal position and felt like I had to throw up, and was REALLY moody...not good!
getting gussy; I think it's my stubborn nature that I refuse to have anything get in the way of what I like to do:D

Goodie2Shoes

New in Town
I saw an ad for Tampax in a Vogue Pattern magazine I got from 1949. My daughter & I found the wording amusing. If you can't read it let me know & I'll post it bigger on my website.
1949-tampax.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
I guess I'm one of the abnormal ones because, while I generally have a headache for about 1/2 of the first day, I really don't have that many issues otherwise. I occasionally get some bloating, but I just wear something that I know won't be tight and constricting. If I'm having a particularly "bad" day I'll make sure I don't wear white pants, but otherwise I dress and go about my day as normal.

I'm exactly the same way. I may not wear something form-fitting if I'm bloated, but other than that, I just go about my normal business!

Goodie2Shoes

New in Town
As for how I feel at that time of the month. If I could just go to sleep for the 2 days before and the first 3 days of it I'd be great...LOL...my husband said if women did that the whole world would come crashing down around us. I thought that was kinda cute as I'm taking it to mean the men need us :) I do just suck it up though if it has hit me on a night I really wanna go out and look great.

As for the girl who says she has sharp shooting pain in her ovary. I'd definitely seek help until you find someone who listens. My midwives are also women's health nurse practitioners and they do my regular gynecology appts as well. I find they really listen as they are women and they are more on the side of helping--using natural means---etc etc...not just a doctor bound by medical science only. Now I have had this problem Come to find out that sometimes my body has a hard time releasing an egg and that is what is causing the pain. I find it is centered around my ovulation time and as soon as that part of the cycle is done so is the pain. I really did think I was going to die a couple of times but that is what we came to the conclusion of. Maybe this may help you in someway. Doesn't really help the pain. I find heating pad works. I guess I'm just glad to know it isn't something really wrong with me..just a minor glitch in my system....and perhaps yours too :)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
GoldLeaf said:
I also have THE most wonderful book to reccomend. Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.
I bought this book as well, so ditto on that.

Also, another reason for heavy painful periods--fibroids. A year and a half ago, I was diagnosed with fibroids and it turns out that almost half the women out there have some and sometimes they get big and painful. They are not cancerous, but can mess with your chances of getting pregnant. Just this year alone, I've talked to four different women who had fibroid issues and had to have surgery this year.

My OBGYN took 21 fibroids out of my uterus. I was wondering why I couldn't lose weight and looks five months pregnant. Sheesh! Some were as big as grapefruits, others, the size of oranges, and some as tiny as cherries. A veritable fruit salad of fibroids!

But after that my periods have been a breeze. And people can still get pregnant after the surgery--it certainly has helped my chances of getting pregnant!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou