Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Father's Day

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Yonder horizon.

You know, shopping for my mom throughout the years has always been pretty easy. When I was a kid, I used to always buy her ten dollar pens (she was a bookkeeper once upon a time). Then, I'd buy her nice tidbits: a little, mounted painting for her office; a wind chime for the garden; antique salt and pepper shakers. Mother's Day was easy.

Father's Day's a little different. Of course, my dad and I have got plenty problems (but that is another story and irrelevant); shopping is harder, too. I never know what to get my father for birthdays, xmas or Father's Day. Sure, I've gone the Sports/Golf/BBQ route in the past. I've bought a steak knife set, a framed panorama of Wrigley Field, (I think last year it was Dodger/Cubs tickets); there're some decent gifts in there, but for the most part, I strike out in the Father's Day department.

So, I'm curious. What kind of gifts have you guys given your father for Father's Day in the past? What do you plan on giving him this Sunday? What does your son give you?

And, fathers, what would you like?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Fathers Day - as well as Mothers Day - are just marketing events!!!:rage:

If you can not treat your parents nice every day - why on this one special day?

Which reminds me of a little episode from my childhood.
After I had presented the usual flowers to my mother on Mothers day, I asked her when it was the "Childrens Day"?
"Why sweety, thats every day" - came the answere.

As a father of two sons, I have never gotten anything - or expected anything either. Why should I???

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
My dad's request

My dad has the same request every yr. "Just a few kind words"
So I will grill him a steak and let him watch the US Open.
For him that is a grand day.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
As a father of grown children, I have some perspective on this subject. Firstly, gifts don't matter. I have sufficient income to buy whatever geegaws I want and such money is better spent by my two offspring in supporting their own young families.

Secondly: I'm sorry Hallmark, but all your printed paper has no relevance to me. Why give something someone else made and that will immediately thrown away? Cards are a waste.

All I want from you, my Daughter and Son is a phone call or better yet, a visit and time spent sitting on the deck with an adult beverage or two. Perhaps even listen to a couple of my stories even though you have already heard them many times lol . Let me look at my grandkids and see, in their faces, features that bring back memories of older family members who are now gone. Finally, let me know that you recognize that the old man, with all his faults, did the best he could for you.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I just want to hang out with my little guy and have fun. I wish my dad was still alive so I could have him over as well, like we used to. Presents are neither here nor there.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
No celebrations here!

My father never did , doesn't and never will care about Father's Day.
In fact, for him the whole concept it's all a big fat nuisance. [huh] :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW