Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite comfort food . . .

RedPop4

One Too Many
I don't have a particular comfort food, when feeling bad. However, I NEED macaroni and gravy with meatballs, and I need it often. Well, often enough.
It's something I like to have on hand at all times, and the two weeks or three when we're between and haven't made it, are tough sometimes.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
cookies, and if possible eating chocolate chip cookie dough until I'm sick :p I also sometimes crave something 'hearty' which always ends up being some kind of Italian food dish

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
RedPop4 said:
I don't have a particular comfort food, when feeling bad. However, I NEED macaroni and gravy with meatballs, and I need it often. Well, often enough.
It's something I like to have on hand at all times, and the two weeks or three when we're between and haven't made it, are tough sometimes.

I used to make that every Sunday, a tradition I adopted from my ex mother in law.

FedoraGent

One Too Many

I was just thinking about one more thing. I haven't had a good phosphate in awhile. Is there anywhere in the Bay Area that anyone knows of where I can get one these days?

Thanks,

Jon

magneto

Practically Family
FedoraGent said:
I was just thinking about one more thing. I haven't had a good phosphate in awhile. Is there anywhere in the Bay Area that anyone knows of where I can get one these days?

Have you tried the St. Francis Fountain at 24th and York? VAlencia 6-4200.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pot roast with veggies (mushrooms, baby onions, carrots, celery and baby reds) and lots of gravy - just made that last week.

I also make meat loaf, gravy and mashed potatoes about once a month and/or when I'm "in a mood." And I make enough for lunches & dinners for a few days. Gravy on the veggies, A-1 or Worchestershire on the meatloaf.

And as others have mentioned - mac & cheese. Usually homemade from scratch. But in a hurry, I'll use "the blue box" except I never use the recipe on the box. I put in the powdered "Cheddar" and the butter it calls for, but instead of the milk, I use sour cream - however much it needs for it to hold together and be somewhat creamy. We've got several friends who to this day can't believe it's from the box.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
magneto said:
Have you tried the St. Francis Fountain at 24th and York? VAlencia 6-4200.

Again Magneto, 10 more points. No I've not tried it. I think I'll try it when I get back from my trip down to Monterey. OOOOOH Phosphates. :) That's great that you have their exchange in there and everything.

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
Stouffer's Welsh Rarebit over english muffins washed down with Coca-Cola from those small glass bottles. And, butterscotch pudding for dessert.

I've tried making my own Welsh Rarebit. It never comes out as good as Stouffers.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
J. M. Stovall said:
Chilaquiles...mmm. Stop it, all this talk making me hungry!

my boyfriends mom makes those for us every sunday! unfortunately, on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning, they are less comfort food and more like something ill endure for his mom! but before my stomach turned into a wimp i loved them.

my #1 comfort food is mac and cheese by annie's (the mild mexican flavor is the best). i love baking cookies from scratch too when im stressed out, but i never end up wanting to eat the end result, i just like baking.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Good topic!

For quick comfort food I rely on Campbell’s tomato soup (made with milk) or a homemade hamburger on pumpernickel bread with mayo and tomato.

For “special occasion” comfort food—i.e. when I have more time or I’ve had a major emotional blow—either homemade shepherd’s pie (best recipe I ever found was in an old Victoria magazine) or tater tot hotdish. The latter is so Midwestern that I blush to admit that once a winter I just have to make a batch, and that batch must contain hamburger and frozen green beans with loads of fried onions both on top and in the mixture. The top must be crispy to contrast with the mushy interior as well.

I also realized that I must truly be an assimilated Easterner since I automatically typed “casserole” instead of the Midwestern “hotdish” of my youth and had to change the term for accuracy.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
pigeon toe said:
my boyfriends mom makes those for us every sunday! unfortunately, on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning, they are less comfort food and more like something ill endure for his mom! but before my stomach turned into a wimp i loved them.

my #1 comfort food is mac and cheese by annie's (the mild mexican flavor is the best). i love baking cookies from scratch too when im stressed out, but i never end up wanting to eat the end result, i just like baking.

Anything breakfast is my favorite, I can eat it any time of the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic