Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite comfort food . . .

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Grilled cheese sandwich & tomato soup
pea soup
Moravian spice cookies
burgers and hush puppies from a local place called Cook-Out
pilmeni(Russian dumplings)
blini with jam or sour cream + caviar
bread and honey
spaghetti and meatballs

olive bleu

One Too Many
Gosh.. there are so many!! I am an emotional eater anyway, so i eat to feel good daily, but one of my favourites is a big plate of fries, piled with stuffing and floating in gravy! You can actually order this in restaurants where i come from. ..And i have leftover stuffing & turkey gravy from the holidays in my fridge right now.. yeehaw!!

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Mmmmmm...

Gotta go with smothered pork chops and (real) baked macaroni and cheese. Simply (the key to comfort food) the best!

Happy New Year!!!

RC

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
For me it's always peroheh (I think they're called perogies?) with fried onions and bacon, those are phenomenal! I got a casserole recipe in Quebec for Chocken with veggies and mashed potatoes. More recently beans and rice, barracuda, and tortilla soup from when I was in Guatemala and Honduras.

I think I need to do some cooking tonight.lol :D

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Most recently, I have to add those big old-fashioned soft pretzels, piping hot, with a dusting of salt--Mmm! If ever there was a truly, emotionally satisfying and comforting food, they're it!

Kim_B

Practically Family
I love home-cooked meals...those are always the best to me! When I'm too lazy to cook it myself, I'll head to Cracker Barrel where their Pot Roast is almost as good as mine.

-Beef & Noodles/Chicken & Noodles (of course with mashed potatoes)
-Home-made Macaroni & Cheese
-varenyky (pierogies as they are called in the States; I haven't tried to make my own, I usually just buy the frozen potato and cheese variety. I am told my MIL makes killer home-made authentic Ukrainian varenyky but I've yet to have them!)
-cinnamon toast and a cup of hot tea

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Comfort food is mostly a thing of the past for me - a lifelong love of starches and sweets plus bad heredity and I wound up diabetic.

I still can enjoy meat loaf (all meat please, no breadcrumbs), chili (easy on the red beans), pork chops, broccoli saut?©ed in garlic, veal stew, beef vegetable soup...

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Southern pan fried chicken, boiled potatos and fresh green beans sauted with alittle bacon grease.

If you're real quiet, you can hear my arteries hardening.:)

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
olive bleu said:
Gosh.. there are so many!! I am an emotional eater anyway, so i eat to feel good daily, but one of my favourites is a big plate of fries, piled with stuffing and floating in gravy! You can actually order this in restaurants where i come from. ..And i have leftover stuffing & turkey gravy from the holidays in my fridge right now.. yeehaw!!

That sounds good? In eastern Canada? Which part and what do I ask for? Because that sounds good!

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I'm always confused at the definition of "comfort food." It is always up for debate, but I guess if it is something that makes you feel good + is generally bad for your health? Or I guess it could also just be what grandma makes after church on Sundays ... Those are usually the same thing.

-Straight old mashed-potatoes (w/LOTS of horseradish)
-Grandma's pirogi or Russian pel'meni (although I prefer sauerkraut or black currant/black berry stuffing than meat or potatoes).
-Anything involving turnips, period.
-Anything involving okra, period.
-Cabbage or mushroom soup HEAVY on the sour cream.
-Stuffed cabbage/golubtsi, by the pound please.
-Baked meat SMOTHERED in gravy. Not particular on the kind of meat.

Any decent soul food restaurant, Indian restaurant, Russian restaurant or Grandmother does right by me.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I love Chicken fried steak/ country steak
IMG_3277.jpg

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Jack Scorpion said:
I'm always confused at the definition of "comfort food." It is always up for debate, but I guess if it is something that makes you feel good + is generally bad for your health? Or I guess it could also just be what grandma makes after church on Sundays ... Those are usually the same thing.

-Straight old mashed-potatoes (w/LOTS of horseradish)
-Grandma's pirogi or Russian pel'meni (although I prefer sauerkraut or black currant/black berry stuffing than meat or potatoes).
-Anything involving turnips, period.
-Anything involving okra, period.
-Cabbage or mushroom soup HEAVY on the sour cream.
-Stuffed cabbage/golubtsi, by the pound please.
-Baked meat SMOTHERED in gravy. Not particular on the kind of meat.

Any decent soul food restaurant, Indian restaurant, Russian restaurant or Grandmother does right by me.
Forgive me, this is going to seem llike an awfully elementary question :eek: , but are you Russian?
I've never ever heard of pilmeni with berries, I'll have to bring it up with my grandma next time we talk.

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
Let's see, I like comfort food at any time of day!

For Breakfast:
Chicken-fried steak and eggs (over easy) with hashbrowns.

For lunch:
Either a big cheeseburger or reuben sandwich with crinkle-cut fries.

For dinner:
Fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy and home-made oven baked macaroni and cheese. Then apple pie and vanilla ice cream for dessert.

For late meal after drinking:
See breakfast above!

Boy, I'd better not eat like that very often. :)

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
CHIPS AND SALSA. With ginger ale.

Either this, or peanut butter on toast. I live for peanut butter. Sometimes with Soy milk (real dairy causes discomfort).

Although on television I saw someone spreading peanut butter on apple slices, and although this sort of thing goes against my peanut butter-eating principles, I am strangely compelled to give it a go.

I have to go buy some apples next time I'm out.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Somebody Please Open a Cracker Barrel in California!

Kim_B said:
...I'll head to Cracker Barrel where their Pot Roast is almost as good as mine...

Everything at Cracker Barrel is gooooooood!

Unfortunately, there are none near the Bay Area, but I look for opportunities on the road. On one trip to Las Vegas, my wife and I got a hankering for Cracker Barrel and drove all the way down to Kingman, AZ to get some!

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
I find mish mosh soup comforting. Or matzo ball soup, or chicken in a pot.

As a child, when I stayed home sick from school, my mother gave me fried eggs in a bowl with torn-up, buttered toast mixed in. I still find that comforting.

My wife had something similar, but owing to her Japanese heritage, her sickday food was fried eggs with soy sauce on rice. That is now one of my comfort foods, too.

I'll add oatmeal to the list, if it qualifies as distinct and separate from the previous bowls of cereal.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Ruby Slippers said:
Although on television I saw someone spreading peanut butter on apple slices, and although this sort of thing goes against my peanut butter-eating principles, I am strangely compelled to give it a go.

I have to go buy some apples next time I'm out.

I was always one of the peanut butter + celery crowd myself. But I tried peanut butter with apples several years ago and found it an enjoyable alternative.

Note that the effect is very different with tart apples, such as Granny Smith or pippin, than sweet apples, such as red or yellow delicious. Try a variety.

GOK

One Too Many
~~ Freshly made crumpets dripping with (veg) margarine and marmite.
~~ (Veg) bangers 'n' mash - the mash has to be very 'buttery' (in a vegan kind of way!). It also has to be piled up in the centre of the plate to form a mound and have the sausages stuck into it. There also has to be a beany moat! I fry my baked beans with a little good olive oil with sliced garlic...yum!

Before turning vegan, I adored banana and cheese on toast (toast one side of the bread, mash a ripe banana onto the untoasted side, place under the grill for a few minutes to warm, add grated very mature cheddar and return to the grill until the cheese is bubbling.) - vegan cheese just isn't the same. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou