Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite dishes?

Zach R.

Practically Family
AtomicBlonde said:
Well dang, that doesnt do me much good does it? :D Where are all the single fellers who can appreciate a southern woman who can cook? :p

Alas, I'm afraid it just wouldn't work out between us. :p

I'm a big fan of reubens as well, and I think I could live the rest of my life on house special fried rice and eggrolls(dipped in duck sauce).

Lately I've been feeling adventurous and I've tried to broaden my diet, so these lists help out a lot regarding what things I'm going to try next.

I've been wanting to try steak and kidney pie for a long time, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere, and no one will make it for me(they say, "you want to eat that?")lol

magneto

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Things I Will Not Eat Unless Left Without Choice:
Cucumbers

Here's a quote for you: "A cucumber should be well-sliced, dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out." -Samuel Johnson (yes, *that* Samuel Johnson...) :)

Caledonia

Practically Family
Jack Scorpion said:
I'll name three.

Eggplant Parmesan

Tell me about this, I looove both ingredients!:)

1 Fresh rocket drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and the best balsamic vinegar I can afford, topped with fresh slivers of parmesan, not grated, sliced so thin you can see through it.

2 Home made potato salad with grated carrot and a hard boiled egg sliced over.

3 Bread rubbed over with a garlic clove, cheese, olives, and sour red wine in a pewter cup (Champagne optional and works just as well)

4 Moussaka

5 Goulash

6 Haggis, neeps, and tatties with a thick onion gravy

7 Thick vegetable stew and it must have potatoes and cabbage in it.

8 Tiramisu made the way I make it.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Caledonia said:
Tell me about this, I looove both ingredients!:)

Eggplant Parmesan is fried, breaded slices of eggplant baked with tomato sauce and cheese, with variations. Sometimes some chicken finds its way in there. (Beware veggiefolk!)

Novella

Practically Family
That eggplant parmesan sounds really good! I like penne pasta with pesto and pine nuts. Mmm, alliteration!

Tokyo Joe's teriyaki bowl is heavenly, unfortunately I think they're only in Colorado.

I do dessert more than main dishes - apple pie, lime pie (the kind with jello, pudding, and cool whip), strawberry shortcake, orange muffins, just about any cookie, german chocolate cake and my roommate's Mexican chocolate cake.

decodoll

Practically Family
You sure do know how to make a gal blush, Grimstar. :eek: Thanks for the compliment. :)

Novella said:
I like penne pasta with pesto and pine nuts. Mmm, alliteration!

mmm...yes! This is one of my favourites too. Some grilled chicken in there goes well also, but doesn't fit in with the alliteration! :)

Also:

Penne au Gratin (fancy schmancy mac and cheese I like to make)
Meat and Potatoe Pie
Frikadellers (Danish Meatballs)
Boullion Rice
Aebleskiver with Raspberry Jam (just made this for breakfast. Yum!)
Niman Ranch Bacon and Cheddar mashed potatoes at Sellers Markets ... Best mashed potatoes EVER!!!!
Any really good french bread with butter, English Cotswald cheddar or Havarti. :)
White rice with Thai peanut sauce
and a new one....this isn't a dish, but....Pepperdews..... So Yummy!!!

RedPop4

One Too Many
Absolute favorite is red gravy as we Sicilian-Americans like to say. Some call it spaghetti sauce, or the fance call it "marinara." To most people of Sicilian descent here in the U.S., and I've confirmed it with a few New Yawk and Philly paisans, it's simply red gravy.

My wife and I make the same red gravy, so that's first, followed by my mother's. That's head and shoulders above any other dishes, in fact it's usually in my refrigerator at all time, though, sadly, it's not at the present.

In random order as they come into my mind....

Barbecue shrimp--the New Orleans creation with the basic theme of butter, garlic, Italian seasonings, cayenne pepper and black pepper....we DOUBLE the recipe we use so that there's plenty of 'juice' which is sopped up with real French bread (Binder, Leidenheimer, Reising's or Gendusa's)

Boiled LOUISIANA Blue Crabs.
Steak-rare-medium rare...preferable a ribeye or Porterhouse
Shepherd's Pie--with well-seasoned ground beef and homemade garlic mashed potatoes.
Baked Oysters and Chargrilled Oysters
Gumbo
I bake homemade drop biscuits (Pioneer brand mix) every Saturday morning.
Homemade pancakes with Louisiana cane syrup.
Hoghead Cheese
Rigatoni or penne with just olive oil, Parmiggiano-Reggiano and Locatelli Romano. My kids love this. It can be good with toasted breadcrumbs sprinkled in as well.
Chiken in hot garlic sauce
General Tso's Chicken
Homemade pesto with basil from my own garden.
Cuban sandwiches
Natchotiches Meat pies/empanadas.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I have one that I haven't tried yet. I saw it on the Food Channel and know I will love it. I'm going to buy the ingredients today!

Chocolate Dipped Frozen Bananas! You cut the bannana in half, and put a Popsicle stick halfway in the bottom of each cut half. Freeze. Dip them in melted chocolate, and then roll them in crumbled Oreos, nuts or whatever topping you like!

I love junkified healthy food! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy