Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite McQueen flic?

High Pockets

Practically Family
Bullitt

Went to see it at the drive-in,......best car chase ever filmed. I remember sitting in the back of my dad's 67 Impala feeling my stomach go up and down every time they topped one of those hills!

Tom Horn

I love western history,....and what a story this is.
Did he,......or didn't he?

Junior Bonner

Two of my favorite actors, and I remember well the days when a real cowboy pulled his one-horse trailer behind his Cadillac.

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
Beer Baron said:
Twitch - If remember correctly the black Dodge charger was an R/T, as a base model they came with a 383 under the hood. But as to a race between the Charger and the Mustang G.T. in a Drag race I'd give it to a Charger, but if there are more then 2 turns, the Mustang would whoop a Charger. And I'm a Mopar guy with a 70' super bee, those big B bodies just don't turn.
I am pretty sure the base 1968-70 Charger R/T was 440 equipped.

PS. I like The Cincinnati Kid and Bullitt.

Chas

One Too Many
Bullitt is all that. Love the car chase scene, best ever.

The Great Escape motorcycle sequence is pretty cool, too, even if it didn't really happen.

I think my favorite McQeen film is "The Sand Pebbles", though.
09FL030_lg_2_Steve-McQueen-and-Richard-Attenborough.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Chas said:
The Great Escape motorcycle sequence is pretty cool, too, even if it didn't really happen.

:lol: Was that the beginning of Hollywood's tendency to attribute absolutely any siginifcant victory of WW2 to the Yanks? (I know Macqueen's character was written in at the behest of the studio who wanted a big American star in the picture to help market it). You can then draw a direct line from this, through things like U571 (Jon Bon Jovi capture the Enigma machine.... and here I thought it was those Brits at Blecthly Park that cracked it, :lol: )...

Quite honestly, I just assumed it was this sort of thing that Tarrantino was spoofing / pastiching with his alternative history ending to Inglorious Basterds.

:eek:fftopic: While our truly gallant allies in both WWI and WWII were in it from the beginning and suffered the greatest hardships, the US was the Arsenal of Democracy. Both wars would have gone on for a much longer time. As we see it, the tide swings to the Allied favor only after we come in. In each instance the US contribution is not insignificant. We know we could not win on our own, but it seems somewhat likely the Allies could not win without us either. Or it would have taken decades.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
I saw something on TV where they said that it would have been impossible for McQueen's Mustang to outrace the bad guy's Dodge. The Dodge was far more powerful than the Mustang. Still, a great chase!

Well McQueen's Mustang wasn't exactly a factory car. It had upgraded suspension, which the Charger didn't have. Plus the Mustang had a custom tuned 390-cubic-inch V8. Add to that the Mustang was a much lighter car than the Charger.

In the winding streets of San Fransisco, its not so much about speed as handling. In a flat out drag race, yeah that Charger would probably win, in this case however I think the Mustang would have given the Charger a run for its money.

Doug

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Bullitt is my favorite McQueen film, however I love the aging McQueen still doing action in The Hunter.

Also great to see McQueen doing a little comedy in The Reivers

Doug

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
:lol: Was that the beginning of Hollywood's tendency to attribute absolutely any siginifcant victory of WW2 to the Yanks? (I know Macqueen's character was written in at the behest of the studio who wanted a big American star in the picture to help market it). You can then draw a direct line from this, through things like U571 (Jon Bon Jovi capture the Enigma machine.... and here I thought it was those Brits at Blecthly Park that cracked it, :lol: )...

Quite honestly, I just assumed it was this sort of thing that Tarrantino was spoofing / pastiching with his alternative history ending to Inglorious Basterds.
Don't even get me started on that movie! I was in my car when I heard the commercial for it, all I heard was "the true story of U5**", so I thought, finally a movie about the capture of the U505, wrong! Why couldn't they just make a movie about the real drama of the capture of U505, something we Yanks can be justifiably proud of! Plus, you can still see U505 in Chicago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy