Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Summer Drink

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Being underage for one more summer, I will chime in with my 'age-appropriate' summer drinks.
1. Iced tea- Black tea with a bit of mint and a bit of sugar (not much).
2. Triple espresso on ice, black. It is a beautiful thing.

Then again, I will be in Italy for much of the summer so we will see...

Edit: Oh and for a bonus, I will throw in a really old recipe called "Ginger shrub"

I am not so sure about the ratios, but here it goes.

Water
Honey
Ginger
Cider vinegar.

It is extremely refreshing, but I have only liked it when doing living history work on an 18th century farm. It is delicious there, disgusting in the modern world.

And yes you can add whatever alcoholic beverage you want, from beer to cider to brandy to rum and still be period.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
The mint is coming up!:eusa_clap
Tain't for the iced tea...
Perhaps on the Eastern Seaboard mint grows only in the spring. Out here in seasonless California, unless you count forest fires and mudslides as seasons, the mint in the Hoods' back yard grows constantly and robustly. We occasionally cut the thing in half just to keep it sensible.

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Just coming up!? The danged weed never stops growing around here. ;) :p
Mint Julep in a real Julep glass with a short straw?
You mean the pewter ones? No:eek: out of an old fashioned glass- with a straw.

Let's not forget the Mojitos, also with a straw. ;)

Wally_Hood said:
Perhaps on the Eastern Seaboard mint grows only in the spring. Out here in seasonless California, unless you count forest fires and mudslides as seasons, the mint in the Hoods' back yard grows constantly and robustly. We occasionally cut the thing in half just to keep it sensible.

That's a good point. Mint spreads like wildfire. ;) We could mow it like a lawn. :p

rikrdo

A-List Customer
prolly in here somewhere.................but:

Big ol' glass full of rocks and add:
Bourbon
Ginger Ale
Squeeeeeeeeze of lime.

Thats it.
Dee-Lish

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I would have never thought to combine mint with lime, but holy shamoley, I do love a Mojito. Especially on a hot day. Never had one before I moved south, but now that I live in a heavily Cuban part of Florida, I can't seem to get enough! I love it when they serve it with a piece of sugar cane for me to nibble on :) I'd like to leave Florida soon, but I don't know how I'll survive without all the fabulous Cuban food.

Edw8ri

Familiar Face
A Traditional Recipt for Mint Jelups

You must get up early in the morning, when the dew is still on the mint. You pick the mint. Then you must quickly crush some inside a jelup cup with a spoon. NOTE: The jelup cup and the spoon must be sterling. You cannot use base metals in the preparation of mint jelups. To do so would ruin the delicate flavor and cause your neighbors to make catty remarks about you.

Then you put a spoon full of simple syrup in the bottom of the jelup cup. (stir sugar into very hot water to make simple syrup.)

You will then pack the jelup cup with crushed ice.

Next pour whiskey over the ice. You may use Bourbon or Tenessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel, George Dickel, Makers, and Jim Beam are all appropriate. You may not use any American, Canadian, or other blended beverage purporting to be whiskey. And for goodness sake, no Southern Comfort.

Finish by placing a sprig or two of mint in the jelup cup
Lower a tray of jelups down into the well to keep them cool. Or put them in the fridge.

That is the traditional summer beverage of the South. Best sipped on the piazza at any convenient time of the day.

th_thumbnail1.jpg

Cheers.

anon`

One Too Many
The Casablanca!

I mix mine of five parts light rum to one part each of Cointreau, Luxardo and lime juice. I suppose you could back the rum off to three parts if so chose (which is more in keeping with just about every other cocktail I prefer), but I've always made these just so.

(As an aside, I just noticed that this is my one thousandth post here. I'm amused that it was by a response to this thread that I've gone from being practically family to having had one too many!)

Chainsaw

Suspended
Speaking as the voice of the working class...

Beer, copious amounts. Temperature, as that of the concrete floor.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Well, in terms of mixed drinks and cocktails…

Gin and Tonic is certainly an excellent standard. The Mojito is one of my favorites, we end up with a passel of mint and limes about for 'em. I must admit Julips never hit my spot, but I'm always willing to give 'em another try.

Caipirinhas I have tried, making my own. Not bad, but I still prefer a mojito.

White port and tonic makes a nice refreshing summer drink.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Edw8ri said:
A Traditional Recipt for Mint Jelups

You must get up early in the morning, when the dew is still on the mint. You pick the mint. Then you must quickly crush some inside a jelup cup with a spoon. NOTE: The jelup cup and the spoon must be sterling. You cannot use base metals in the preparation of mint jelups. To do so would ruin the delicate flavor and cause your neighbors to make catty remarks about you.

Then you put a spoon full of simple syrup in the bottom of the jelup cup. (stir sugar into very hot water to make simple syrup.)

You will then pack the jelup cup with crushed ice.

Next pour whiskey over the ice. You may use Bourbon or Tenessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel, George Dickel, Makers, and Jim Beam are all appropriate. You may not use any American, Canadian, or other blended beverage purporting to be whiskey. And for goodness sake, no Southern Comfort.

Finish by placing a sprig or two of mint in the jelup cup
Lower a tray of jelups down into the well to keep them cool. Or put them in the fridge.

That is the traditional summer beverage of the South. Best sipped on the piazza at any convenient time of the day.

th_thumbnail1.jpg

Cheers.

Jelup?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
For summer, a Lillet cocktail-

Fill tumbler or old-fashioned glass with ice, add juice of one-half lemon, fill about two-thirds full with Lillet, then top with club soda. It's a great before dinner aperitif, or marvelous for sipping while conversing on the patio.

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Mmmm!

For me, if it is an adult beverage, the drink of summer is a Gin and Tonic, preferably with Tanqueray Rangpur Gin. Otherwise, it is Iced Tea...

Cheers,

RC

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Wally_Hood said:
For summer, a Lillet cocktail-

Fill tumbler or old-fashioned glass with ice, add juice of one-half lemon, fill about two-thirds full with Lillet, then top with club soda. It's a great before dinner aperitif, or marvelous for sipping while conversing on the patio.

Errata: Change lemon to lime. What sort of a half-wit numbskull would type lemon when he means lime?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran