Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite type of Coat

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
What is your favorite type of coat? One you would wear every day if you had half a chance? My favorite is the tail coat.

bk-tails.jpg

I've always had an emphatuation with this coat, I even had one when I was little I wore quite often.

Imsocool.jpg

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I like the classic double-breasted, belted trenchcoat, a look favored by aviators, private eyes, and gin joint/saloon-owners all over the world. It's stylishly romantic, but still practical and utilitarian when the rain rolls in.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Give a good tailor any overcoat and some fine cotton velvet, and he/she can make your coat's collar into a chesterfield.

Marc,

This is a terrific tip...I have a beautiful wool overcoat from my grandfather that might just get a facelift! Many thanks!!

jml90

One of the Regulars
Johnnysan said:
Marc,

This is a terrific tip...I have a beautiful wool overcoat from my grandfather that might just get a facelift! Many thanks!!
I've done that already!

Well it depends on the climate
Winter:
Chesterfield
Double Breasted Camel

Fall/Spring
Trench Coat

Casual:
Something Leather

zeus36

A-List Customer
For an all around coat, I'll go with a wool Navy bridge coat. I just picked up my second:

23144big.JPG

You can wear them with anything, to any function (outside of the tropics) and they have zip out liners. Plus you can slip them over your leather jacket if it's cold.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
My current favorite

I saw a top coat in a vintage store. It fit very well and was in great condition...but the collar seemed odd. I didn't recall ever seeing one like it. It wasn't a notch, peak or shaw lapel. I left the store without it. I came back a week later and bought it. It fit too well to pass up.

Here it is in New York:
IMG_3689-vi.jpg

IMG_3686-vi.jpg

IMG_3714-vi.jpg

A couple of days later, I was watching the Big Sleep and when the scene on the dock where they pull the car out of the water....Bogart is wearing a top coat with that collar. Now I was REALLY happy about the coat.

bogart_big_sleep_coat.jpg

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Gumshoe trench

I don't own one of these, but ......if I ever see a suitably 'timeworn' example in my size then I might be tempted ! Whether I'd look as cool as Bogie whilst wearing it is another matter entirely !lol

bogeytrench.jpg

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
This is my favorite.

My favorite coat is the camel hair 'polo' coat. It can be worn with white tie and tails (Remember William Holden in Sunset Boulevard); or you can wear it with a cashmere sweater and jeans. I just posted this pic in another thread. It's handy, so I'll post it again here. Please excuse the geeky pose.

JMSasHolden.jpg

Zach R.

Practically Family
A bit off topic, but I've found that, regardless of manufacturer, the one article of clothing that you really have to lay down the dough for if you want quality, is the coat.

I mean, we have plenty of alternatives for fine custom-made fedoras and suits, many far superior to the "big names," but coats are always expensive. Of course, I realise that it may have something to do with the sheer amount of material, but still...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany