Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Vintage Perfumes

Retro_Lass

New in Town
I wear Chanel No.5. I love the way it smells on me.
Chanel No. 19 reminds me of my dearly departed aunt and every now and then I go by a perfume counter and stop to smell it and smile. :) Strange how scent can evoke feeling and memory.
Sometimes I wear Yardley's English Lavender. Though usually only if I shower at night or if I am stressed out as the lavender scent is quite calming and soothing for me.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I have Shalimar - and I love it!

I came across a website about vintage perfumes and this was said of Shalimar:

1925 saw the introduction of Shalimar, a intoxicating blend of spicy floral oriental notes with vanilla and leather as base. At that time, only 3 things were said to be a taboo to women: "Smoking, Drinking and Wearing Shalimar"

stephie.jean

New in Town
RitaHayworth said:
I have Shalimar - and I love it!

I came across a website about vintage perfumes and this was said of Shalimar:

1925 saw the introduction of Shalimar, a intoxicating blend of spicy floral oriental notes with vanilla and leather as base. At that time, only 3 things were said to be a taboo to women: "Smoking, Drinking and Wearing Shalimar"

Oooh! I love Shalimar, too. Nights, weekends, etc. I'm a Shalimar gal. During the workday I use the Shalimar Light (the Light version isn't vintage)--but they've discontinued the Light.

On ocassion, I'll use Opium. I like it and it was given to me as a gift, but when I'm wearing it, I don't smell it and think "this is me".

As for the little glass vials of samples, PerfumeShop.com has them for a few bucks. May be worth it for the ladies that'd like to try a new scent.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
At first I thought the Shalimar was going to be one of those scents that didnt suit me....I seemed to be able to smell it on me for a while. But as the day went on, I couldnt smell it at all!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
TessTrueheart said:
I just ordered a ton of samples from the Perfumed Court. I blame you Laura Chase! lol lol lol

I ordered two samples from the Perfumed Court and they arrived really quickly which was great. I ordered a sample of My Sin and Arpege - sadly I'm not crazy about either - they are way too heavy - particularly My Sin.

I will definitely try a few more samples though (they have such a brilliant range) - you never know what you might find! ;)

lantana19

New in Town
Has anyone here tried the Highland Lilac perfume?

It can be found here:http://www.highlandlilac.com/

as well as at the Vermont country store. Says it's been given to the past 11 First Ladies and it does have a slightly vintage feel to the packaging. The tester is $4 and shipping would be $2 which is kinda high just for a tester, but it does get good reviews on makeup alley.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Miss RM said:
Oh, I wish I could wear the vintage fragrances! My mother wears *only* Chanel No. 5, but every time she does I have to flee the room. To my nose, it's always smelled like gasoline and makes me violently ill. I was able to smell it properly only once. I commented on how nice Mom's perfume was, and she looked at me like I was mental! I have some sort of allergy to vintagy perfume ingredients, but that one day, I was able to see why No. 5 is appealing! I must've taken my Sudafed because it smelled quite lovely!

I have these two bottles of perfume from Grandma's house. They smell terrific for about 30 seconds, and then I have to go lie down. Even just taking them out of storage to take this photo gave me a migraine :-/
2595941423_56c6ed0ba9.jpg

My favourite perfume is Perry Ellis 360, originally released in 1994. Soooo vintage :)

BEAUTIFUL BOTTLES!!

You are probably reacting to the initial blast of adelhydes in the Chanel...alot of those 20s scents have this crazy alcohol "dazzle" at the beginning that you either love or hate. I used to hate it, but now I just can't get enough...I like them with a big old nose and then a sweet drydown. After I have been wearing Arpege, or Chanel 22 or Bois Des Iles for a few hours...that is when they get really good....even though I heart the blast, I do prefer the drydown. Another one that does it is Estee Lauder's Cinnabar (its from the 70s). After it dries down, it is all spicy warmth and goodness, but that first hit is a doozy.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
I just discovered Jean Patou's Joy. While I only have the EDT, I do plan on upgrading to the EDP, though I hear the pure parfum is the only way to truly experience this fragrance.

I do know that some feel it smells old and dated...I prefer "classic!"

Absolutely exquisite and a new favorite of mine!

jenacious

New in Town
what a fun topic! and thanks a million for introducing me to the Perfumed Court. there have been so many vintage perfumes i've wanted to try, but am hesitant about purchasing "unsmelled". in the meantime, i'm a chanel no. 5 kinda girl. (at this count, though, i have about 48 different bottles of perfume!!:eek: yikes!)

JennyLou

Practically Family
Retro_Lass said:
I wear Chanel No.5. I love the way it smells on me.
Chanel No. 19 reminds me of my dearly departed aunt and every now and then I go by a perfume counter and stop to smell it and smile. :) Strange how scent can evoke feeling and memory.
Sometimes I wear Yardley's English Lavender. Though usually only if I shower at night or if I am stressed out as the lavender scent is quite calming and soothing for me.
I wore Chanel No. 5 for years but had to stop wearing it because it reminded me of bad relationship I was in when I still smelled it. And I still have a full bottle that I won't use:( Now I wear the moden Harajuku Lovers in Angel

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I ordered a few more samples from the Perfumed Court which again arrived really quickly:

Rose Nuit de Chine by Paul Poiret
Nahema by Guerlain
Apres L'Ondee by Guerlain
Knize Ten

Rose Nuit de Chine was nice enough but the only one I really liked from the samples was Apres L'Ondee - the only problem is that it fades really quickly.

TessTrueheart

Miss Golightly said:
I ordered a few more samples from the Perfumed Court which again arrived really quickly:

Rose Nuit de Chine by Paul Poiret
Nahema by Guerlain
Apres L'Ondee by Guerlain
Knize Ten

Rose Nuit de Chine was nice enough but the only one I really liked from the samples was Apres L'Ondee - the only problem is that it fades really quickly.

I have a sample of the Apree L'Ondee and while it's nice it goes really powdery on me... I can't really understand why it's on so many perfumistas top five lists...

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
TessTrueheart said:
I have a sample of the Apree L'Ondee and while it's nice it goes really powdery on me... I can't really understand why it's on so many perfumistas top five lists...

I don't understand it either Tess! I checked out people's reviews on Basenotes and everyone was raving about it. It's quite powdery on me too - not something I would be wild about. I think I much prefer perfumes with sandalwood and patchouli in them - more musky or something. I don't really like sweet powdery scents at all.

TessTrueheart

Miss Golightly said:
I don't understand it either Tess! I checked out people's reviews on Basenotes and everyone was raving about it. It's quite powdery on me too - not something I would be wild about. I think I much prefer perfumes with sandalwood and patchouli in them - more musky or something. I don't really like sweet powdery scents at all.

I use my sample of Apree L'Ondee to scent my handerkchiefs lol

cecil

A-List Customer
DaisieWilde said:
I just discovered Jean Patou's Joy. While I only have the EDT, I do plan on upgrading to the EDP, though I hear the pure parfum is the only way to truly experience this fragrance.

I do know that some feel it smells old and dated...I prefer "classic!"

Absolutely exquisite and a new favorite of mine!

That is my mother's favourite, it's beautiful. Reminds me of her.

I wear Chanel 'Gardenia', It was first made in the mid-20s, I believe. I try other perfumes but I always come back to it. :)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

The most seductive perfume I've ever come across, and it's hardly been mentioned here at all:

.........................................CHANEL No. 19

A mesmerizing scent!

"Chanel No. 19 needs no words of praise because its beauty renders them superfluous. Its seemingly difficult facets—the aggressive verdancy of galbanum, the woody duskiness of iris—are arranged in such an exquisitely harmonious manner that one cannot but admire how the accords meld into each other, from the emerald dew of the top notes to the leathery suppleness of the base.

The number 19 refers to Coco Chanel's birthday, August 19th. No. 19 was created by the Chanel in-house perfumer Henri Robert, who is also responsible for the chypre austerity of Pour Monsieur (1955). Robert created only a few fragrances for the house; however, his contribution cannot be measured by the number of perfumes linked to his name. Being responsible for maintaining the quality of Chanel No. 5, searching out the best quality materials and adapting the formula for the parfum de toilette and eau de toilette, Robert has to be credited for the continuing success of No. 5. ...

And yet No. 19 remains a testament to his talent as an artist. It is said that upon approaching the Taj Mahal, one is teased by its ornate whiteness looming in the distance, until suddenly the magnificent edifice is right before one's eyes. In No. 19, the iris magically transports one from the soft luminosity of florals into the intensity of a leather-vetiver embrace. The elegance of No. 19 is underscored by the seductive allure of its seemingly chilly effect. A few rose de mai petals caught among moss covered roots conjure a passionate yearning constrained by feelings of decorum. At a time when women are encouraged to smell like chocolate covered confections, No. 19, with its strength and regal beauty, proves that femininity is not defined by 'sugar, spice and everything nice.' That being said, lacking sweetness or floral opulence, No. 19 would definitely be suitable for a man, especially in the EDT and EDP concentrations, where the accent falls upon the vetiver and leather. If I were to choose between concentrations, the EDT and the parfum would be my preferred picks, for the radiance of iris-vetiver and the richness of iris-leather, respectively.

Chanel No. 19 includes notes of galbanum, hyacinth, neroli, bergamot, jasmine, rose, lily of the valley, iris, vetiver, sandalwood, leather, musk."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy