Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite Horror Flick?

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
The Shining was awfully cool; one of the most atmospheric horror films I have ever seen.

I liked both the original movie version, and the cable mini-series version, which actually stayed with the book:) The latter version went to the trouble of doing the topiary animals, which in the book scared me witless, lol.

WH1

Practically Family
modern-The Sixth Sense amd 28 days

classic-The Birds and almost any Vincent Price movie Pit and the Pendulum, etc. I also have a weakness for the 60's Christopher Lee Dracula movies.

Hondo

One Too Many
WH1 said:
modern-The Sixth Sense amd 28 days

classic-The Birds and almost any Vincent Price movie Pit and the Pendulum, etc. I also have a weakness for the 60's Christopher Lee Dracula movies.

My favorites are Edgar Allan Poe stories with Vincent Price, Vincent Price is sadly missed, what a great actor and voice.

How could I forget Hammer films? :eusa_doh: Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee forever in Hammer film collection on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Hammer-Collec...0-0300058?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1175970057&sr=1-2

ricki

Familiar Face
I love horror, especially cheesy horror. It's hard to pick just one so I'll give my top three: Dead Alive, Evil Dead and Cemetary Man.

funneman

Practically Family
Horror Flicks?

I love the old Sci-Fi from the fifties. I get such amusement out of scenes that are supposed to be chilling and in today's world of computer animation just seem downright silly. So I guess that makes me a fan of the Ed Wood school. So in no particular order:

The Sublime:

The Day the Earth Stood Still (Great hat flick)
Invaders from Mars
Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers
Forbidden Planet
War of the Worlds
The Thing

The Ridiculous:

Plan Nine from Outer Space
The Atomic Brain
The Brain that Wouldn't Die
This Island Earth
The Creeping Terror
The Tingler

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon said:
"Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" and "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane". I was riveted the first time I saw those!

-dixon cannon

My father said he took me to see "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte" when I was a small child, and that my Mom got mad at him because I enjoyed it at the time but then had nightmares afterward, lol...

Dear ol' Dad.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This thread intrigues me because there is not a movie scary enough for me yet! I keep looking, so it's good I love horror films. I've come to the conclusion that it's because I was the victim of a terrible atrocity when I was a teen and I was so scared I literally couldn't scream or even move, if anyone cares. So when I turn on a horror movie I challenge it, come on, scare me!

Some favorites:
The Haunting
The Birds
Psycho
Phantom of the Opera
Ghost Story
The Other (not The Others)
Gargoyles
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Wolfen
The Tenant
The Changeling
Dracula

These scared me at the time:
The Omega Man
Salem's Lot

All original versions

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I LOVE that movie. Both versions. The UK one has a little tune it it, and a couple more minutes or so. The action takes place on the date that is around my birthday, although several years prior to that blessed event, and I watch it every year. Plus I like the story Casting the Runes.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Rooster said:

I'm glad to hear that you like it too Rooster!! ! Isn't 'Nosferatu' (1922) an amazing film? the best of his director Murnau, and IMO tha best of european expressionism of the 20s. All those strange camera angles with the strange arquitecture of the castle... and the images of the vampire like in a dream...Spooky!!!!!!! :eek: lol
Just a camera, actors and a good director were used nothing else.!. No digital effects , no computers...Just genious and old fashion creativity...
Oh i miss all that... I feel so out of place living in this plastic times, :cry: I want to go baAAACK...

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
It is hard to scare me in any movie. The first horror movie I saw was when I was 11 and my mother took me to see the 20-year anniversary of King Kong. The movie scared the living tar out of her when she saw it back in 1933. I, however, identified with the giant gorilla and cried when he fell off the Empire State Building. Had the same trouble with The Wolfman.

Here are some horror flicks that are fairly scary:

Psycho (that one did scare me)
Nosferatu (1922 version)
House of Wax (saw it when I was 12 and slept with the covers over my head for the longest time)
The Haunting (original with Julie Harris and Claire Bloom)
Salem's Lot (original TV movie)
Night of the Living Dead
The Mummy (original Karloff when I first saw it in my teens)

Not scary but fun:

Godzilla
Bride of Frankenstein
It Came From Outer Space and all the giant creature films from the 50's
The Exorcist (I'm sorry, I thought it was funny

karol

WH1

Practically Family
to all of you who mentioned Nosferatu as one of your favorite movies, what did/do you think of Shadow of the vampire with John Malkovich and Wilhem Defoe. I enjoyed it especially Malkovich as the director. A very tongue in cheek horror movie, but a lot of fun.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WH1 said:
to all of you who mentioned Nosferatu as one of your favorite movies, what did/do you think of Shadow of the vampire with John Malkovich and Wilhem Defoe. I enjoyed it especially Malkovich as the director. A very tongue in cheek horror movie, but a lot of fun.

Oh, I havent seen that in a long time. I saw it in the theater and really liked Defoe's performance bunches. I also loved the way it was lit. Very very nice.

Also,
The first horror movie that freaked me out was Creepshow 2.
*shutter*

LD

Rooster

Practically Family
WH1 said:
I liked it. Pretty nifty spin on the story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav