Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feathers in your hatbands?

Jack R.

New in Town
I wear stingy brim fedoras all the time, and I'm not much of a feather person, I usually don't wear hatpins either, they draw too much away from the hat, but I suppose it does depend on the occasion, if you are going to a dinner to impress people, no feather, if its a casual party, it may be okay.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
As a younger man,teens and twenties I wore the feathers. Thirties I started taking them off. The feather on my Chatham never made it out of the store.

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
Feathers??

Admittedly, I'm a newbie to the fedora scene. What's the common wisdom or opinion on a feather poking out of the band?

[huh]

carter

I'll Lock Up
If pigs could fly...

If a fedora (and/or its wearer)was intended to fly, it would have wings and feathers.

Like this
086-074_large.jpg
or this
6805_image03.jpg

or this
Peter_von_Cornelius_Hagen_versenkt_den_Nibelungenhort_1859.jpg

Otherwise...no feathers.
:D

Just a tad :eek:fftopic:

Edward

Bartender
lol @ Carter...

I've normally not been keen. Only one of my hats I've had a while that came with a feather was my Biltmore, and I've never 'installed' it. The Akubra porkpie I just took delvier of this morrning came with a feather; I'm in two minds whether to leave it in:

DSC00027.jpg

Seems like the sort of informal hat where that sort of ostentation isn't entirely out of place. [huh]

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hiya,

Sometimes I use a feather. Sometimes I don't. Depends on the look of the hat, as well as on the look I'm going for that day.

Folks who instant de-feather any hat they acquire have the perfect right to do so.

And I've got the perfect right to keep my opinions to myself on how neurotic automatic de-feathering is, too, if it's done because of the idea that there are inflexible "rules" about such things. :whip:

If the de-feathering is done because that's the style being sought, it's a different and more benign thing altogether. :cool2:

Cheers,
Mark

carter

I'll Lock Up
I FOUND SOME !

No wonder you can't find good feathers anymore. They're being held captive in the Powder Room on the ladies' Show Us Your Vintage Hats thread. Wouldn't you know it. Sheeesh. :eusa_doh:
IMG_1757.jpg

Neil

A-List Customer
Featherless

I bought a couple of Stetson Pinnacles recently from Barry Carter, who'd posted them in classifieds. Excellent hats. Really first rate. The black one came with a feather in the band. I removed it immediately.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Send all feathers to the Powder Room.

Neil said:
I bought a couple of Stetson Pinnacles recently from Barry Carter, who'd posted them in classifieds. Excellent hats. Really first rate. The black one came with a feather in the band. I removed it immediately.

Good man.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
carter said:
If a fedora (and/or its wearer)was intended to fly, it would have wings and feathers.

Just a tad :eek:fftopic:

And even someone with hat does not need to disfigure the hat with feathers to fly :D

karlsson_gross.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I agree with most people here that feathers can be used if done subtly but should not be too flashy. I would like to add that if you are meeting someone you have never met before (airport, train station etc.) they can be used as a form of identification as you will stick out from a crowd.

Torpedo

One Too Many
avedwards said:
... I would like to add that if you are meeting someone you have never met before (airport, train station etc.) they can be used as a form of identification as you will stick out from a crowd.

Hello,

I would dare say we hat wearers do stick out of a crowd enough, just because of the fact we do wear hats. ;)

Viper Man

Banned
Like most of you, I usually ditch the feather. However, there are a few cases where the right feather is actually a perfect accent. For example, my VS came with a feather that I didn't really like but I had another feather from a vintage Champ that looked great with it. Needless to say that feather is still in business. Similarly, I loved the feather(s) that came with my vintage Disney so much that I put them on my vintage Cavanagh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21