Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fed IV is almost the perfect hat

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
My moonstone Fed IV from Hats Direct arrived today. The box has a large puncture like someone somewhere in the postal system was practicing their lunge with a screwdriver. Fortunately, the hat was in perfect condition.

The Hats Direct personnel stretched it into a long oval prior to shipping so it fits pretty well but not perfectly (I think I am more of an extra long oval). Nice tall straight crown with a little reverse taper. I thought I might need to cut the brim down a bit but the factory specs work great. Very easy to crease. Just a few minutes to put it in a deep center dent with with a moderate pinch (for now ;) ). Brims snaps like magic. I could have creased it completely dry but I am impatient and the front dents were contrary.

Only negative (to my eye) is the black band but I will swap that out with navy blue ASAP.

I really like my Christy Adventurer but if the Fed IV was available in a true navy blue (and other interesting colors like red wine) I wouldn't see a reason to by any hat OTR other than an Akubra.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Glad you like the hat! I've been thinking about picking one up, and moonstone is the color I like best. I like the black ribbon just fine, though, as a grey hat with a black ribbon is one of my favorite combinations. And I bet anything that "stretching it to long oval" consisted of someone at HD putting the hat over his knee and pulling hard, not that there's anything wrong with that, since we're talking about an Akubra, and they can take it.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I agree here. I didn't ask for my Fed to be stretched to a LO as I wasn't aware they were able to do that on request. I've had to stretch it myself but the hat conforms which helps (though the process isn't finnished yet).

I like the black ribbon even though I think the bow is a bit too wide, which I realise is that way because it immitates Indiana Jones'. I think the black ribbon with grey hat is one of the most boring but also must trustworthy combinations which was one of the main reasons for me picking this hat (as well as durability and high crown with wide brim).

Moonstone is a truly versatile colour. It works with my brown leather jacket, my beige trench coat, my blue suit, my black suit... I challenge anyone to find something this colour doesn't work with :rolleyes:.

Overall the Federations is exactly what I wanted out of a hat. Even the sweat band and liner are close to perfect. The brown sweat band looks and feels a lot more like a vintage hat than other modern hats I've had. The only slight negative point is that the felt is rough as a result of not having been sanding very much. But that is the only bad thing I have to say and I was aware of this when I ordered the hat.

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
Mr E Train said:
Glad you like the hat! I've been thinking about picking one up, and moonstone is the color I like best. I like the black ribbon just fine, though, as a grey hat with a black ribbon is one of my favorite combinations. And I bet anything that "stretching it to long oval" consisted of someone at HD putting the hat over his knee and pulling hard, not that there's anything wrong with that, since we're talking about an Akubra, and they can take it.

I don't wear black but a lot of blue so the ribbon swap is a must for me.

Given the perfect shape of the hat when it arrived, I am certain they used an actual stretcher to get my long oval. :)

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I read on some thread that Hats Direct recommended putting the hat over one's knee and pulling on it to stretch it, but I guess that is just a suggestion they give to customers as a quick and dirty stretching method, not something they actually put into practice. They probably wouldn't hurt anything if they did, though. It's always nice to have a little of that "human touch.":D

Duper

Practically Family
NukeMeSlowly, I'm glad you are so pleased with your moonstone. I have one as well and have just started wearing it more regularly as I think it suits my Spring grey coat colour better than my tawny fawn Fed IV.

I didn't know Hats Direct would prestretch. I'm sure others will be glad to hear that.

I also have been thinking about switching out the ribbon for a navy blue. I figure I could do that myself but does anyone know if Hats Direct would sell a proper Fed IV ribbon in alternate colours?

If Akubra ever wants to expand their Fed IV colour range especially in the lighter shades I know I would be on the list of interested customers. I would even be interested in a burma like Christys offers.

frussell

One Too Many
Also a Fan

I'm really happy with my Carbon Grey Fed IV Standard. I wore well-made cowboy hats for many years, and I like a fedora that can stand up to some real wear and weather. My Art Fawcett is beautiful, my Stetson Nostalgia probably looks the best on me, but has really delicate, loose felt, and my conversions are okay, but if I had to grab one hat for a long trip, it would probably be my Fed IV. Akubras today are like the Stetsons and Resistols I grew up with, functional, good-looking, and able to take abuse. Add to that my excellent, smooth transactions (including one return) with HatsDirect, and I'm set. Wish they sold that Akubra plastic/straw thingy in my size, it gets up above 120 here. Frank

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
Duper said:
NukeMeSlowly, I'm glad you are so pleased with your moonstone. I have one as well and have just started wearing it more regularly as I think it suits my Spring grey coat colour better than my tawny fawn Fed IV.

I didn't know Hats Direct would prestretch. I'm sure others will be glad to hear that.

I also have been thinking about switching out the ribbon for a navy blue. I figure I could do that myself but does anyone know if Hats Direct would sell a proper Fed IV ribbon in alternate colours?

If Akubra ever wants to expand their Fed IV colour range especially in the lighter shades I know I would be on the list of interested customers. I would even be interested in a burma like Christys offers.

I inquired about a different color ribbon and they said it would void the warranty and prevent a return. I guess you could tell them to do it and take your chances but it costs me about $25 locally to have a ribbon changed. So, unless they would do it for much less, I would not want to risk it.

I am with you on the different shades. I have fedoras in navy (Christy), dark fawn, and moonstone (both Akubra) now, so the basics are are completely covered. My next purchase will need to be something unique (I am thinking about a Christy Adventurer in wine ;) ).

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
I have an appointment with Vince Corvelli tonight to have him add a navy ribbon to my new Fed IV. I will try to post a photo when I get the hat back.

kb777

New in Town
New Fed IV

I'm psyched...I just received my new brown Fed IV in the mail today! Now tot he bashing tutorial thread...

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Congrats on the new hat...Glad that whatever caused that hole in the box didn't put a hole in your hat...I know you must have set a land speed record opening that up...lol...

Pics please...

Last edited:

kb777

New in Town
First attempt at bashing the FedIV (or any hat for that matter...)
fed10.jpg

fed4.jpg

fed2.jpg

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I'm glad that you like your Fed. I like my Moonstone a lot but to say that it's the only hat you'll ever need is a stretch. Just the fact that you are here on the lounge is dangerous to your wallet. I thought my Akubra Campdraft (a beautiful hat) would do it for me.............then I got a Vintage Stetson 25........and then another 25...............and then a JC Penney.................and then a Stratoliner.....................and then a Borso.................and am still looking for a nice Whippet and Playboy! They are all my favorite hats and the only ones I'll ever need! LOL

I bought my Fed off a lounger and it's a well made, stylish hat that you can wear anywhere!

Good luck in your "Hat Adventures!"

pjt113

One of the Regulars
Can someone tell me the aprox weight of the Fed, please. I'm thinking of getting one but I would like to know how many seasons I can wear it. Does Akubra make a feather or lighter weight hat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy