Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Discrimination

Feraud

Bartender
Senator Jack said:
As I said, Feraud, Campbell Apts has made me check my fedora. I guess we won't be able to go there at the FLNY summit.:(

Regards,

Senator Jack
I am really not thrilled to have read that about the Campbell Apts!
Perhaps 20 guys wearing fedoras might help temporarily "relax" their policy?.. [huh] lol

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Feraud said:
I am really not thrilled to have read that about the Campbell Apts!
Perhaps 20 guys wearing fedoras might help temporarily "relax" their policy?.. [huh] lol

Haha, now I have visions of a "mob" of fedora clad gentleman standing outside Capone's with signs forming a picket line.

GIVE ME FEDORAS OR GIVE ME DEATH!

Doh!

One Too Many
The bone-headed owner might not understand a buncha' fancy-schmancy words in your letter, so you might want to include a picture to better illustrate your point:

capone.jpg

farnham54

A-List Customer
Kill 'em with Kindness, I say.

Write that letter--but not a nasty one. One that has constructive critisizm, even including that picture, with an aire of trying to understand the logic of their policy rather then trying to tear a strip off of them, will probobly accomplish FAR more for both sides--it willl make you feel better, and they might learn something.

Just my 2 cents, which is about 1.67 cents American :p

Cheers
Craig

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Fedora Night

In your letter you could suggest they have a weekly dress vintage...

"Fedora Night". A constructive suggestion...You can win people to your side more easily by gentle persuasion and flattery than by hostile confrontation.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I'm afraid "Fedora Night" would be a laughable suggestion, considering the general cultural ineptitude of the area. But yes, the main points of my letter will be a misunderstanding of their bias rules, and explaining how they're really solving nothing. I'll definately have to think about it for a bit, I dont want to just sound like i'm complaining without also giving some suggestions as to correct their misgivings.

Maybe I could get them to waive the cover charge for people who dress the part in Capone's Hideaway.... that's reasonable I think.

I'm also going to place one of my Fedora Lounge matchbooks in the envelope as a gesture of good faith. :)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Campbell Apts.

What's wrong with checking your hat? I don't want to sit around all night wearing a hat indoors with my body temp rising from alcohol intake.

Anyway, what about gold teeth. Do you have to remove those at Capone's too since they might be gang related?

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Well, the man at the door had no explaination for the "baseball caps only" rule. But when I talked to the manager guy, he said it was because people were wearing "do rags" and ski caps, which were gang related. By gang I mean Crips and Bloods type gangs, not the Bowery Boys. I don't see how they're any more "gang related" than pants down to the knees, or color coded jerseys and shirts. I told them they were more than welcome to search my hat, as long as they didn't manhandle my hat. What it came down to was "If I let you do it, i'd have to let everyone." In retrospect, I should have said "No, you don't... this is what's called an exception." But I didn't want to walk on thin ice.

I don't know, the whole ordeal was just stupid.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Well, that's the thing. I touched on this a bit before, but let me elaborate. It's a huge old warehouse that's been converted into four separate bars that are connected sort of. Basically, there are two entrances, one into Capone's Hideaway, which is kind of in it's own special area in the back. It caters to more older people, they have a piano player there every night, unless there's a live band (usually jazz). Attached to Capone's is a little foyer area with access to the restrooms for all the bars, beyond this foyer, can either go into the Tiki Lounge, or down stairs into the JR's Billiard's Room,(where the other entrance is) which is an all ages pool hall. You can go through a door in JR's into a place called The Nightclub, which is the dance club with DJ, lights, etc. This and JR's are where most of the bad element congregate, although, some drunken hooligans have been known to stumble into Capone's. It's the draw back of having them all connected I suppose. It's kind of a neat idea, though there is some clashing of culture.

I hope this clears things up.

Baggers

Practically Family
Allowing baseball caps but prohibiting other headwear such as "do rags," ski caps, and your fedora is already making an exception. I'm sure a laywer could could argue that the policy is discriminatory (in the negative sense of the word ;) ) on that basis alone. To be totally fair to everyone, they should be banning all headwear, like pubs in the UK are beginning to do so that their security cameras can see faces.

Mr_Misanthropy, is that a picture of you in your avatar? If so, then you appear rather young. I'm wondering if they latched on to the hat thing because of your age. It would be interesting to see if they would enforce their silly rule on an older man, say 45 years or older. Is there a sufficiently "seasoned" Lounger nearby who'd like to test my theory?

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Mr_Misanthropy said:
:eusa_clap ... and I did get my first drink half price for the inconvenience. Whoop dee doo.

Whoop dee doo, indeed. Half price...they should have completely comped the first round to compensate for embarrassing you. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Baggers said:
Mr_Misanthropy, is that a picture of you in your avatar? If so, then you appear rather young. I'm wondering if they latched on to the hat thing because of your age. It would be interesting to see if they would enforce their silly rule on an older man, say 45 years or older. Is there a sufficiently "seasoned" Lounger nearby who'd like to test my theory?

Cheers!

Yes, that is a pic of me.. and despite being 23, I do look very young, and as a result, I get carded all the time. That's one of the reasons I dress in suits when I go out, it makes me look a bit more distinguished. Anyway, unfortunately, i'm pretty sure i'm the only Lounger in a 300 mile radius, so, a second opinion is out of the question.

Here is the letter i'm planning on sending, i'm open for suggestions on ways to change it or add to it to make my point better. Thanks.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Dear Mr. Hessinger,
I've been frequenting your fine establishment for several months now. I have known a couple of the bartenders for several years, and I especially find Capone's Hideaway to be quite a pleasant experience. This was my opinion until last Saturday (April, 25, 2006) evening. You were featuring a wonderful jazz band, and I was looking forward to dressing in one of my vintage three piece suits and checking them out. Now, considering the atmosphere of Capone's, to add a bit of flair, I topped off my ensemble with one of my several fedora hats. I arrived with a couple of my friends in tow, looking forward to my night ahead. I displayed my identification, paid my cover charge, and made my way in, only to be stopped by th gentleman at the door. He informed me that the bar's policy is not to allow any hats, except baseball caps. I was shocked, as well as outraged. The man was very polite about it, and even showed me the hard copy of the rules, where I saw in plain black and white the aforementioned rule. I have several issues with this, which I will get to shortly.

After taking my fedora out to the car and returning inside, I asked to speak to someone in charge. I was directed to one of the managers, I assume, as he was wearing a very authoritarian monogrammed maroon polo shirt. I voiced my concerns to him, asking if it would be possible for me to wear my fedora in Capone's. My reply was "What's a fedora?". After a few more words, pretty much going circles, the gentleman took me to yet another one of the bosses. I explained my predicament to him. He told me that the rule was created to cut back on people wearing "doo rags" and ski caps, which were perceived to be gang related. A hat is a hat, and I find that reasoning laughable. First, gangs use many fashion statements to distinguish themselves. Certain footwear, certain colors, etc. A baseball cap is just as gang related, depending on the gang. You prohibiting certain hats is going to solve nothing. Perhaps I'd understand if it were a manner of dress code, but as long as you allow t-shirts and jeans, no one is going to scoff at a person in a hat.

The manager told me that basically I couldn't wear my fedora because if he let me, he'd have to let everyone wear their hats, and there were no exceptions to the rules. I let it end there, because I could tell things were going nowhere, and decided to retort with this letter. No exceptions? What do you call allowing baseball caps and prohibiting others? I call that a discriminatory policy, as does my attorney (BTW Loungers, i'm totally bluffing with the attorney thing.). If you have a problem with urban gang members, then don't allow someone dressed like a gang banger. If you have a problem with hats, then don't allow any hats, period. Of course, then what would your staff wear? I'm not asking you to rewrite your rules, or revamp your dress code. I'm just asking that you use a little common sense and realize when exceptions are appropriate, that's why they exist. As it is, your hat policy and your stance on gangs are full of mixed messages.

In conclusion, I'll present a more obvious point. The bar is called "Capone's Hideaway", which brings to mind an air of big band music, nice suits, martinis, and men dressed in fedoras smoking cigars. I shouldn't be persecuted for "playing the part", and I most certainly shouldn't be embarrassed in front of my friends by attempting to do so by having to leave my hat in the car. I'm sure you can agree with the points I've made here, i'm not asking for anything ridiculous. I'm fairly certain i'm the first and only person who will ever encounter this problem, so maybe next time an exception can be made. Perhaps you could write me a "permission letter", if that's what it will take. I still enjoy Maine Street Tap, and I'll be coming back regardless. Thank you very much for you time taken to read my letter, and I hope we can come to an agreement. Please feel free to contact me anytime if you have any questions or concerns with anything I've put forth in this correspondence. I'll end on this note,

capone.jpg

Would you tell him to remove his fedora? If so, perhaps you should consider a name change.

Sincerely,

Jeremiah DeBlume

Feraud

Bartender
Mr_Misanthrophy, about your letter. I like the first two paragraphs and would not change much at all. The last two have to go. You need one final and strong closing paragraph.

A couple of suggestions on its content.

1 - Do not ask for a "permission letter"! You are putting yourself in an inferior position. Your attitude should be one of an adult telling the establishment you will be treated like every other honest paying customer. The club probably views you as just another young paying customer and you have to strike at their greed.

2 - Do not tell them "overall you like the place and will be coming back"!
What motivation do they have to accommodate you?? Once they know you will be back they will probably toss your letter in the garbage! The point of the club is to make money and you closing the letter saying you will be back is the exact opposite feeling you should be trying to give them.
Tell them in that you were insulted to be treated like a gang member and will not be back. Emphasise to them the other local clubs that do not have a discriminatory hat policy and you will take your friends (all hat wearers btw) to those establishments!

3- Remove the Al Capone reference. They could care less about Capone or anything retro and are obviously missing the point. They are there to make a buck and would probably switch "themes" in a minute if it will bring in more revenue.

Good luck with it.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Mr_Misanthropy said:
I'm afraid "Fedora Night" would be a laughable suggestion, considering the general cultural ineptitude of the area.

When I saw from an earlier post of yours that the establishment was in Quincy, Illinois, I so wanted to make a comment similar to this about the nature of the area in question. I could not have stated it so succinctly or diplomatically. Well done! lol

Chris Huff

New in Town
Tommy Gunns

While in Chicago, if you like things Capone, try Tommy Guns Garage

http://www.tommygunsgarage.com/

and if you care to drive as far as Elgin, there is an old actual "speakeasy" operating under the name of Al Capone's Steakhouse

http://www.al-capone.com/steakhouse/index.html

I've been to both. The show at Tommy Guns is very good, the food is fine. The food at Al's speakeasy it outstanding, and there are lots of pictures of big Al around the place. He did actually operate it back in the day.

I got compliments on my fedora's in both places.

Chris

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
I would say nothing about an attorney, as well, bluff or no bluff. Too big for no bigger than the issue. I have a semi-related topic since we're reasonably close in geography. PM forthcoming...

Cab

Baggers

Practically Family
Mr_Misanthropy said:
Yes, that is a pic of me.. and despite being 23, I do look very young, and as a result, I get carded all the time. That's one of the reasons I dress in suits when I go out, it makes me look a bit more distinguished. Anyway, unfortunately, i'm pretty sure i'm the only Lounger in a 300 mile radius, so, a second opinion is out of the question.

Well, if I lived nearby, I'd be more than happy to give it a test. I just wonder if the bouncer saw the hat, then the "yoot" under it, stopped there and concluded: "latino gang banger" or something similar (your avatar does seem to indicate a slightly hispanic appearance to me). How he came to that conclusion if you were also wearing a three piece suit...well, let's just say that high levels of intelligence may not be a job requirement for his position. BTW, the fed wasn't a stingy brim, was it? lol Even so, I wonder if they would have allowed Kevin Federline or Johnny Depp to wear their hats if they showed up at the door?

Now on to the letter. Great effort, but I think it needs a bit of tweaking.

First off, I'd cut the attorney reference. Even if it's only a bluff, some people freak out at the mere mention of the word, stop listening and start preparing for battle. There's no need to escalate this thing too quickly, if at all. And the term "discriminatory" can also be a bit too strong. Try to find a term with less legal "baggage" associated with it. I think a better tactic will be to emphasize the lack of logic and even-handedness being displayed by their policy. It also might help to point out that well styled dress hats are becoming more fashionable, and that they would be losing potential business if they didn't fine tune their dress code.

That's the key. Remember, Capone's Hideaway is a private for profit business, and they are entitled to establish whatever rules they like -- regardless of their stupidity -- as long as they don't violate state and federal laws. The best "hammer" to use on them is the prospect of not making money. After pointing out what's wrong with the dress code and proposing a simple remedy, if they still refuse to modify the code simply inform them that you, your friends, and your business associates will stop doing business with them. But it can't just be Capone's Hideaway, the boycott has to include all establishments owned by Mr. Hessinger, including Main Street Tap.

I apologize if this seems imcomplete and a bit rushed, but I don't want to spend all morning at the keyboard. I'm sure, though, that you get the idea I'm trying to put across. And, as you can see, others have already chimed in as well.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace