Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Fever

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
Thanks, fellas!

The bang-for-the-buck thing figures big in my purchasing decisions. Now I'm thinking Federation IV vs. Adventurer. They seem comparable in price, if conversion rates on the Web sites are accurate. Now the question is do I need a brown Indy felt, or a gray felt to bash into a casual porkpie first?

Aaaagh! The decisions!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm personally going to say grey felt as I only wear grey (I used to do brown but it didn't really suit me all too well). However, unless you are going for the the look Indy has on the sea plane and outside the government building in Raiders brown is the way to go. But I'd personally say that light to mid grey is more versatile than dark brown.

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
...I'd personally say that light to mid grey is more versatile than dark brown.

Yeah. I wear a lot of black, which would lean me towards a mid-gray. Problem is, I also wear a lot of earth-tones, which would go well with brown. [huh]

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
Some grays have enough earthtones to go with browns, greens & tans while a dark brown won't pull off navy, charcoal, black or lighter grays at all. JMHO

I see. Perhaps a Christy's in Burma then? Hmmm... Of course, I'll likely end up wearing straws more often because of the heat here in Texas, but versatility would be good in a first "real" fedora.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'd say a either a Fed in moonstone then (the sea plane colour) or a Christys in one of their lighter greys, I think they have one called grey mix which might be what you want. A light grey, as well as being versatile will also be more wearable in the sun than a dark brown. The Christys has a relatively light felt compared to other fur felts I have seen. I can't comment on the Fed but I have read that some wear it in climates as warm as Egypt.

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
Get the brown and put a black ribbon on it!:D

You read my mind, sir! I'll probably need brown with a black ribbon, gray with a black ribbon, another natural straw but with a brown ribbon, and a black straw with a gray ribbon.

Not want, mind you. Need. ;)

billysmom

One Too Many
Roninjedi, my friend, you have moved into the prodromal phase of the acute manifestation of the disease. You're toast.

I know because I, too, am a sufferer. I'm a bit further on the clinical trajectory. In fact, I am in urgent need of intensive care. I am too weak to respond to therapy. :eek: And I love it! :D :D

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
billysmom said:
Roninjedi, my friend, you have moved into the prodromal phase of the acute manifestation of the disease. You're toast.

I know because I, too, am a sufferer. I'm a bit further on the clinical trajectory. In fact, I am in urgent need of intensive care. I am too weak to respond to therapy. :eek: And I love it! :D :D

Indiana wore fedoras
Detective Friday did the same
When I get myself some fur felt
I'll fan that haberdasher flame

I got the fever
In the morning
Feeling like I never did
Fever!
In the evening
Fever when I wear my lid

(With apologies to Ms. Peggy Lee) :)

High Pockets

Practically Family
CRH said:
How long have you had it? Have you given it to anybody else - spouses, lovers, friends, aquaintances, family members, business associates?

Does your doctor know you have it? Have you given it to your doctor - or maybe your doctor's nurse or someone in the office has come down with it because of even just casual contact with you?

I had a moderate case in the 80's and made an almost complete recovery by the 90's with only occasional relapses.

I'm afraid my current relapse is terminal :cool: .

If anyone knows of a cure,.....please keep it from me.
:D I'm lovin' this affliction!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Roninjedi said:
Yeah. I wear a lot of black, which would lean me towards a mid-gray. Problem is, I also wear a lot of earth-tones, which would go well with brown. [huh]

That sure sounds familiar. :) I have some grey and some brown fedoras now. If I wear earth tones, but a navy or grey Winter coat, I can wear either.

DC3

New in Town
I have recently done extensive research (at least 5 minutes online playing backgammon) and found that once the dependant disease, known as "haterria lidtosis" has presented itself, the subject will have it for the rest of their lives in one form or another. I first realized I had aquired it in the form of "haterria lidtosis westus" watching the lone longer. Later watching Superman in the guise of mild mannered reporter Clark Kent, the disease mutated to "haterria lidtosis fedoriahsis" This is a rather virulent strain only controlled by purchasing new hats from time to time.
No cure has ever been found as there is absolutely no interest in finding one.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Roninjedi said:
A light grey hat with a black ribbon (moonstone Fed comes to mind) will work with both black and with some earth-tones.

awest84532

Familiar Face
I don't understand what any of you are talking about. Just because I own a couple dozen hats, wear one almost always, and research any place I'm visiting for hat stores, it doesn't mean I have a problem.

I just wonder what's wrong with my wife when I tell her we're taking a side trip to look at a hat store. She has some real issues going on!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
How about my mother who couldn't tell the difference between a centre dent and a teardrop, even when I clearly showed her both on the same hat (I was showing how I had reshaped it from the former to the latter with the help of the heavens).

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I seem to have suffered from the severe flare up syndrome upon joining this motley crew mentioned previously. I had the milder version for several years. Could never go outside without some form of head gear. Then about 4 years ago I picked up a Stetson Chatham at a local hattery in Manhattan, which I sported for over a year. Then I left it in a cab (oh, the anguish!) and found this joint and the flare up really flared up. I have the added disability of having a small head size (7), which makes me prone to grab all the terrific bargains on hats in my size that always seem to present themselves. I got it bad and that ain't good. (Actually, it's great.)
The disease is currently manifesting itself in the form of a terrific craving for a gray homburg. MUST HAVE GRAY HOMBURG!!!

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I thought...

...it started in military college where they issued me seven hats, followed by the AF, where I had to wear them in uniform.

I bought my first fedora in 1981. I went a long time with one or two until two years ago when I picked up a half dozen more.

I might be wrong about when it started. My folks had all the old home movies put on DVD and, suprise! There I was at four with bow tie and fedora.

Go figure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR