Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

quikrick

One Too Many
IMG_7957.jpeg

Not a fedora but definitely afield. From our trip to Europe last week.
Berchtesgaden Germany.

I promised to post some pictures of the trip to Sicily. So here we go.

The view from Enna, where we stayed.

panorama enna_resize.jpg

Sitting at our usual watering hole; the Drinklab in Enna.
IMG_6289.jpg

Palermo
BP2B1651a_resize.jpg

Céfalu
BP2B1734a_resize.jpg

BP2B1717a_resize.jpg

Etna. I expected to be wearing a helmet all day. Not so. A bandana or even a cap would have been a good idea; my head got seriously burned.

IMG_6275.jpg

BP2B1809a_resize.jpg

Valle dei templi near Agrigento.

BP2B2034a_resize.jpg
BP2B2050a_resize.jpg

Best tiramisu ever!
49aeaec4-d6aa-45f4-b7a7-a6f92cd48c67.JPG

More in part II.

RBH

Bartender

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Part II

Scala dei Turchi near Agrigrento (that camera stuff really starts to weigh you down after a week or so)

View attachment 548403 View attachment 548404

Syracuse market. Should have bought this old lobby poster, but it was too large to take with me.

View attachment 548405

View attachment 548406

More of Syracuse
View attachment 548407

View attachment 548412

View attachment 548408

Antipasti
View attachment 548409

Primi (skipped the secondi)

View attachment 548410

Dolce
View attachment 548411
These shots particularly really take me back! I love Syracuse! Glad to see the street markets are still in bloom (Catania is GREAT for street markets, btw, if you ever go back). In Sardinia, street markets have been impacted by the internet.

The Valley of the Temples is such a fantastic site, as well. I would love to get back there one day. I really loved Palermo but the mafia fire bombed a car outside my hotel while I was there and very much ruined the atmosphere. The car owner ran outside very distraught and the burned out car sat on the street for days afterward (I actually left the area before the car did). She was just some random local woman, maybe in her thirties - she was crying.

I asked the hotel owner and he said the mafia randomly firebomb cars to let the population know they are still in control. I have no idea if that's true but that car burning outside the hotel was certainly no fantasy!

The sleepy side streets of Palermo with old men playing chess and old women still wearing head-kerchiefs are truly charming, however. Maybe that's all gone, too, by now, but that was the Italy of my youth and I still long for it sometimes.

Cheers!

These shots particularly really take me back! I love Syracuse! Glad to see the street markets are still in bloom (Catania is GREAT for street markets, btw, if you ever go back). In Sardinia, street markets have been impacted by the internet.

The Valley of the Temples is such a fantastic site, as well. I would love to get back there one day. I really loved Palermo but the mafia fire bombed a car outside my hotel while I was there and very much ruined the atmosphere. The car owner ran outside very distraught and the burned out car sat on the street for days afterward (I actually left the area before the car did). She was just some random local woman, maybe in her thirties - she was crying.

I asked the hotel owner and he said the mafia randomly firebomb cars to let the population know they are still in control. I have no idea if that's true but that car burning outside the hotel was certainly no fantasy!

The sleepy side streets of Palermo with old men playing chess and old women still wearing head-kerchiefs are truly charming, however. Maybe that's all gone, too, by now, but that was the Italy of my youth and I still long for it sometimes.

Cheers!
Certainly a vibrant city but a lot of work that still needs to be done to get it back to glory. While organized crime is still there, our guide told us they concentrated more on where the real money is: politics. While we walked from the centre to the catacombs we didn't encounter anything dodgy. Had a charm all of its own.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
A business client had a delivery for Bolinas, which is a little enclave on the coast in Marin, which is infamously off an unmarked road from Hwy 1. The town's residents tear down any signs pointing the way (hat tip to Google maps). I don't usually go that far out, but I'd never been and I like driving on Hwy 1. This is the Cabrillo highway, the stretch after the more famous Pacific Coast highway. I saw about 3 or 4 coyotes on the way. I can't swear to it, but I think I also saw a whale breach in the distance. Squeezing a few more VS Dualist days in for the year.

A business client had a delivery for Bolinas, which is a little enclave on the coast in Marin, which is infamously off an unmarked road from Hwy 1. The town's residents tear down any signs pointing the way (hat tip to Google maps). I don't usually go that far out, but I'd never been and I like driving on Hwy 1. This is the Cabrillo highway, the stretch after the more famous Pacific Coast highway. I saw about 3 or 4 coyotes on the way. I can't swear to it, but I think I also saw a whale breach in the distance. Squeezing a few more VS Dualist days in for the year.

Careful out there.….. those guys can be tricky

IMG_4907.gif

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Took the opportunity to grab a few photos of my old stomping grounds in Michigan's Upper Peninsula since I am home for Thanksgiving. I grew up about 20 miles outside of Escanaba in the middle of nowhere, but Esky was the closest "big" city at population ~13,000. Escanaba is a port city located in Delta County on the northwestern shores of Lake Michigan:
20231125_132104.jpg
20231125_132430.jpg
20231125_132818.jpg

Throughout it's history the Upper Peninsula has been dominated by two industries - logging and mining. While the logging industry has remained relatively strong, the mining industry has waned over the years. Only one mine remains, where iron ore is harvested for the production of steel. The second mine closed several years ago, and the ore from that mine was transported by rail and then loaded and shipped out of Escanaba. (The other mine ships out of Marquette.) Growing up I used to sit in "The Stalls" near the docks and watch the boats come in/out loaded with ore, which are the largest vessels on the Great Lakes. The Sand Point Lighthouse is located nearby:
20231125_132140.jpg
20231125_132050.jpg
20231125_132243.jpg
20231125_132534.jpg

For the past few decades the paper mill has been the largest employer in the area. Prior to that, Harnischfeger of P&H Crane was the dominant employer in the area. When they ceased operations in the early 1980s it devastated the local economy. It has never really recovered, and Escanaba is your prototypical Rust Belt city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran