Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras at the inaguration

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
And Lefty, since I know you like to be edited, I'll remind you of
the difference between small and large "R" republicans. :p

To be honest, I pay so little attention to politics that I'd have to look that up.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Ken Salazar wore his cowboy hat, but I don't think I've ever seen him without it. He did wear a black one for the Inauguration, instead of his usual Silverbelly, which was a nice nod to formality. He's from a generations-old ranching family here in southern Colorado, so it's second nature to him, I'm sure.

Brad

epic610

One of the Regulars
i weighed in on this issue...

only i mistakenly entered it on the thread "Kennedy Hat" below . . . and i don't know if it is possible to transfer entries between threads.

specifically, i pointed the travesty of Sen. Joe Lieberman who as an Orthodox Jew probably has a few conservative fedoras in his closet at home, showing up in a blue University of Connecticut baseball cap.

also, i agree some fine looking Stetsons; perhaps some of W's friends.

and that mess of a fur helmut worn by George H.W. Bush.

wldthistle

New in Town
kabuto said:
What's with all the flat-flanged fedora brims, with no snap or curl?

It was pretty pathetic seeing all the bizarre headware, ski caps, hunting caps, etc., that people were wearing. If you go to an event like this, dress up a little! But people just don't have nice headwear. And even the coats were so tacky. Nobody ever spends more than a few minutes out of a heated environment these days to really need to invest in dressy outerwear that is warm.

Perhaps I just can't handle the cold as well as some, but I think the only nicer hat that would have been appropriate for the masses who were outside for hours (about eight in my case) would be a nice ushanka. I don't have one, so ended up wearing a heavy wool beanie. I was also wearing two layers under my pants, as well as two shirts, a sweater, and long shearling coat. I was still cold.

-Greg

warbird

One Too Many
feltfan said:
I think it's a celebration of the fact that Americans can finally
wear cowboy hats again without feeling that we are giving
the impression that we support a certain Texan who was in
the White House. I certainly hesitated to wear cowboy hats
for that reason.

You absolutely must be kidding me?

Only in California. Actually perhaps only in certain parts of California :rolleyes:

I see men wearing cowboy hats all the time, they are of all parties and no parties. They represent nothing more than the fact they like hats. I'm pretty astounded anyone would let any public figure dictate what they wear especially because they simply think it represents any public figure in some way. Oh and by the way dubya hardly ever wears a cowboy hat yet Ken Salazar almost always has one on. I'm glad he wasn't askeered to wear his hats, because they look good on him.

RBH

Bartender
feltfan said:
I think it's a celebration of the fact that Americans can finally
wear cowboy hats again without feeling that we are giving
the impression that we support a certain Texan who was in
the White House. I certainly hesitated to wear cowboy hats
for that reason.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Getting sick isn't fashionable.

wldthistle said:
Perhaps I just can't handle the cold as well as some, but I think the only nicer hat that would have been appropriate for the masses who were outside for hours (about eight in my case) would be a nice ushanka. I don't have one, so ended up wearing a heavy wool beanie. I was also wearing two layers under my pants, as well as two shirts, a sweater, and long shearling coat. I was still cold.

-Greg
Greg, You speak for the 1,000,000 + people who were outdoors during the inauguration, not to mention hours before and after the event. Having grown up in the Shenandoah Valley and spent a fair amount of time in D.C., I know how cold it can be there in January. Personally, I'm pleased that so many people were there to witness/celebrate the inaugration. What they wore, a matter of personal comfort, is of far less concern. You dressed to suit the weather and were still cold. That says it all.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Brad Bowers said:
Ken Salazar wore his cowboy hat, but I don't think I've ever seen him without it. He did wear a black one for the Inauguration, instead of his usual Silverbelly, which was a nice nod to formality. He's from a generations-old ranching family here in southern Colorado, so it's second nature to him, I'm sure.

Brad

Ditto. You beat me to it. Former Senator Ken Salazar of Colorado (He just resigned to become Secretary of the Interior) always wears his cowboy hat. Here in the West many people still wear cowboy hats all the time. Its no big deal to see someone in a cowboy hat. Fewer people wear them than say 25 yrs ago, but still a common sight to which nobody gives a second thought, even in the big city. Lots of politicians from the western states proudly wear their hats in Washington (regardless of political party).

Irish4

Familiar Face
I thought politics banned?

I find the hypocrisy in this lounge by some members to be maddening.Your little innuendo's about conservatives,i.e. not wearing a cowboy or western style hat because it might link you to a certain group or groups?.What exactly is a conservative fedora,in Joe Lieberman's closet?we know that Mr. Lieberman sided with a certain Texan?.I guess if you are a liberal democrat you can post what you like,due to the fact you are part of the good old boy network who have a million post here?so go ahead and play your politics here and ban me from the lounge if you wish.

univibe88

One Too Many
RBH said:
While not a western ..this is a Texas made hat. A Peters Brothers straw.. I really like this one... wish I could get it in a thin ribbbon... does that make me Conservative.

No, the hat does not make a conservative...or a liberal. It makes you a man wearing a sharp hat. Which is why it is absolutely dumbfounding that one would hesitate to wear a western hat for fear of being associated with Bush. Dumbfounding.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Irish4 said:
I find the hypocrisy in this lounge by some members to be maddening.Your little innuendo's about conservatives,i.e. not wearing a cowboy or western style hat because it might link you to a certain group or groups?.What exactly is a conservative fedora,in Joe Lieberman's closet?we know that Mr. Lieberman sided with a certain Texan?.I guess if you are a liberal democrat you can post what you like,due to the fact you are part of the good old boy network who have a million post here?so go ahead and play your politics here and ban me from the lounge if you wish.

No would not like you to be banned. I also feel that things are being overlooked one way, I don't dislike anyone for their affiliations. I love it here but the remarks are getting old. Maybe I just need a break. I was going to get a western this year but I guess I would be labeled.[huh]

RBH

Bartender
HamletJSD said:
I shy away from cowboy hats but don't mind Texans ... I think that makes me a Libertarian.
:D
I love Texas.. this is the first year in about 8 that my wife and I havent gone to Texas in January. We love it and really missed it this year.
Where we usally go it was about 80 today compared to 47 here!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
We're having a heatwave around here, and it was in the low 20s today - much lower with the wind-chill. Last week was all single digits, so mid-40s sounds pretty nice.

warbird

One Too Many
My mother lived part of her youth in Ashtabula, far NE corner, and for a time my grandmother moved back there when I was a kid.

I remember going to Cleveland Indians games in July and after that I swore never to utter the words meaning something isn't likely to happen, 'on a cold day in July' again. I about froze at one game in the middle of July.

That place gets cold, with a terrible frigid humid wind coming off the lake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24