Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

chiefusmm

New in Town
Red Wings are still made in Red Wing MN. US. Both the tannery and the factory are there. The factory is only about a block from where it started over 100 years ago. I've been wearing them for over 30 years. I've a pair on as I type. Mine are Pecos 2230.

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
I love RW's. Made in China? So what.? As long as quality control is monitored by the home company. Sadly our workforce in the West (USA/Europe ) have outpriced ourselves - forcing companies to go East. I don't have any qualms over Chinese/Taiwan/Korean made. 3/4 US Imports are currently from there. We "need" 'them.'

Anyway - enjoy those great boots :)

Chinaski

One Too Many
Red Wings are still made in Red Wing MN. US. Both the tannery and the factory are there. The factory is only about a block from where it started over 100 years ago. I've been wearing them for over 30 years. I've a pair on as I type. Mine are Pecos 2230.

I don't know what information is correct, but the Red Wing store owner where I recently purchased the 899's said some models are American made and some are Chinese made. I'm going to go along with Mr. Nash and say enjoy your boots. And Dav, enjoy your Thorogood's as well.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I've worn Red Wings forever - think my dad introduced me to them in the 1960s. They are a good value in (what was at least) an American-made boot.
The soles wear a very long time - I'm a geologist and really punish them.

About the 875 - I like the leather mid-sole part but my qualms concern the flat sole. I like a separate heel because (1) it gives good stability and traction on downhills and over logs without the drawbacks of lug soles, and (2) I do run mine down and want to replace them more often than wear on the soles dictates. Also I suspect the white shock-absorbing stuff won't wear like the dark, very tough stuff on the ones I've bought.

About the 899 - looks similar to what I've used for decades as my standard field boot, minus the vibram sole. Can't read any numbers on them by now. I like lug soles for backpacking in very steep terrain, but not for most uses in regular circumstances. If you go in and out of vehicles and/or buildings from the mud, it is one royal PITA to keep them from dumping loads of dirt everywhere - and the added traction just isn't worth it.

My current favorites for everyday wear are (1) 952 with 6-inch tops and round toe, (2) a similar boot with leather midsole and Goodyear welt, no number visible, found in back of obscure hardware store 15 years ago, and (3) Beckman moc-toe in black cherry that I'm breaking in. The latter is very nice, very stiff now but will probably fit like a glove months down the road.

- Bill

Last edited:

number6

Familiar Face
No intention of knocking Chinese made items on my part, just that I see 'Redwing' as an iconic US product .
I fully understand the economic reality of the market today, if quality is maintained then I guess there is no harm.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Rationally, I think we're all behind that sentiment - if quality is maintained it shouldn't matter. There are just some brands we don't want to see changed, and maybe Red Wing is one of those. Check your gut on this one, number 6 - how do you feel about Cadbury being an American company now?

Tito

A-List Customer
Advice Red Wings

Hi guys, I need advice about the size of Iron Red Wings, ussually I wear a sz 10E for Allen Edmonds and 9.5 for Church's.
RW says "they run big, order at least half a size smaller than you usually buy" , therefore will be fine a size 9.5 in RW?
What do you think?
Cheers

Dav

One Too Many
I agree Tito, my first pair of Iron Rangers I went TTS UK9 they are quite large but OK with a thick inner sole. The second pair I sized down to a UK8 they are a little tight and can only be worn with a thin sock. The next pair I get will be UK8.5 which I think will be perfect.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I normally wear size 8, or 8.5UK shoes/boots depending on the brands (& medium width) but with Iron Ranger boots I have to go with size 7UK.

It's worth nothing that the Iron Ranger boots are rather narrow, which works well for me (medium width/D), but I am not sure how the sizing would work if your feet are wider...

Hi guys, I need advice about the size of Iron Red Wings, ussually I wear a sz 10E for Allen Edmonds and 9.5 for Church's.
RW says "they run big, order at least half a size smaller than you usually buy" , therefore will be fine a size 9.5 in RW?
What do you think?
Cheers

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
It's worth nothing that the Iron Ranger boots are rather narrow, which works well for me (medium width/D), but I am not sure how the sizing would work if your feet are wider...

Exactly.

I wear a 15 in Nike and a 14 in most everything else. The RW Iron Rangers in 13 fit me perfectly. I do have a narrow foot though which makes the IR a good choice for myself. If you have a wide foot, IMO that's gonna complicate things. Normally, I'd tell you to go with a 9 but taking the width in to account, I'd say try 9.5.

You want the IR to flex about a half-inch behind the the cap toe seam. If you see the boot flexing fore or aft of that point, it's not gonna work out.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Good afternoon. My experience with the Iron Ranger is that it would be best to size down 1/2 size. As was mentioned above by Dav, mine work okay with an inner sole, but a half size smaller than normal for me would have been just right I think. I am normally a D width.

Radu

Familiar Face
I usual wear 8 , but on RW I downsize to 7.5 for a pair of 875 RW and also for a pair of 8102 RW.
Best,
Radu

Tito

A-List Customer
Thank you very much guys, I'll go with size 9.5D.
When arrive I will tell if they are fine.
Cheers

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Here are my new boots. I`m incredibly surprised by the service of the Whites staff, and of the quality of the boot. It is a very fine quality boot, with the inner parts really hand made and cut. Damn, I`m at a loss for words...here are some pics...
DSC_5324.jpg

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
I bought a pair of White's Semi Dress with an added toe cap about a year and a half or two years ago. LOVE THEM! Worth every penny. I wear them every day and they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. I polish them every couple of months and they look like new again. I look forward to many more years of wear from them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21