Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Festivals/Gigs what do I wear?

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
So the announcement is in a few minutes as to who is playing the Reading Festival. It's one of the legendary summer festivals. Since I bought my ticket last August I'm not worried about that.

No. It's my wardrobe I'm thinking about.

I did a search for it, and came up with nothing, so maybe some of you can help.

How can I get through 4 days in a field without running water and still look good? Of course, stockings and heels are out, but I hoped maybe some of you would have ideas. Land girl? 50s beach trip?

I really want to bring glamour to a scabby festival filled with people smelling bad, but I'm a bit stumped. For example, should I just stick to braids and pigtails? Or can anyone suggest something safe for gigs? Large crowds, violence, small spaces.

Lets see what we can come up with :eusa_clap

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Flat shoes, oxfords, canvis kicks etc. Comffy socks.

Play suits, rompers, jeans.

Bandannas!! Galore! Bright and colorful.

Light colorful blouses, if jewelry, something you are not afraid of loosing. Make sure what you wear has pockets, for cash, or a cell phone.

And a snazzy pair of shades....:cool:

LD

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I usually do simple rolls/twist things (sort of reversed rolls, but with no fancyiness to it, i.e. no open spots in the rolls) when I go to work, and hair spray. I'm upside down, sideways, squeezing into tight spots and my hair still looks good. I even went horseback riding with it done as such and it stayed looking great.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd say cuffed jeans and a few tops, plus a pair of closed-toed shoes you don't mind getting completely covered in dust or mud (if there's rain). For hair, I'd do a cold set, wear it curled the first day, rolled the second, then in a scarf or bandana the last two days.

Have a blast!

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
Ooh excellent suggestions everyone, thanks!

The line up so far is fantabulous, and includes The Red Hot Chili Peppers! Which means that thinking about my wardrobe now really can be a top priority.

Has anyone got on well with dry shampoo? It's actually a vintage thing as I recall; my auntie used to use it in the 50s I'm sure.

Are any brands effective enough to sort out grease and sweat and goodness knows what else? I think my hair is my biggest worry as I really can't wash it.

Blouses are a great idea; they'll help stave off sunburn too!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
This is what I wore to an acoustic show last night.

The pants are cuffed and I had flats on.

l_c246a6af03d94aa26c4479da49fb62b9.jpg

Note the subtle touches like hair flowers & pearls.

P.S. - Their AC was broke so that sweater ended up in the car!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Clara, funnily enough I just read in a magazine yesterday about Batiste Dry shampoo, which has been around since the 50s, and has some really good reviews on Ciao. I'd probably do exactly what Miss Bella suggested re hair too!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fleur De Guerre said:
Clara, funnily enough I just read in a magazine yesterday about Batiste Dry shampoo, which has been around since the 50s, and has some really good reviews on Ciao. I'd probably do exactly what Miss Bella suggested re hair too!

Copycat! lol Stop stealing my brain!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:

Batiste dry shampoo doesn't do anything for me so I wouldn't recommend it but it works on my boyfriends hair so it's probably my hair texture (straight, fine, gets greasy very quickly). It also doesn't smell very nice but there's a tropical version too which is meant to be more pleasant.

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
I have been doing festivals for years...there is no need to be smelly!!!!

Definately pack a pair of wellies get some lovely vintage looking ones...look great with day dress and an apron...I am quite outgoing and at festivals relish the oppurtunity to really ham it up. Last year i wore a 50's red halter neck with full skirt and petticoat dress with curlers poking out the front of a head scarf.... another outfit was little shorts with a shitrt tied at the front looks great with ballet pumps! Be brave and really go for it put items together you wouldn't normally you can get away with it at festies...

They have saunas at festivals and i always start the day with one ...there are not the queues for them like the showers! They detox you and get you clean.

DO NOT FORGET TOILET ROLL AND BABYWIPES ESSENTIAL !!!!!!

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
Thanks for the input, all :eusa_clap

I had a reward shopping trip after a doctor's appointment today, and did rather well.
I managed to get some snazzy pink cat eye Ray Bans - £25 instead of £90! and two blouses (which look great knotted); both cotton with rounded collars (i hate corners) and printed all over with tiny flowers. One of them perfectly matches a bandana I have already.
I'll get some matching silk flowers for my hair - they won't attract bees will they?

Then I just need a bit more of the same, and a pair of cropped jeans. I have plenty of battered old Converse shoes, which my mum says she remembers from the 50s lol

Oh and I need to practice the hairstyles...

ladyk

Familiar Face
Clara Noir said:
So the announcement is in a few minutes as to who is playing the Reading Festival. It's one of the legendary summer festivals. Since I bought my ticket last August I'm not worried about that.

No. It's my wardrobe I'm thinking about.

I did a search for it, and came up with nothing, so maybe some of you can help.

How can I get through 4 days in a field without running water and still look good? Of course, stockings and heels are out, but I hoped maybe some of you would have ideas. Land girl? 50s beach trip?

I really want to bring glamour to a scabby festival filled with people smelling bad, but I'm a bit stumped. For example, should I just stick to braids and pigtails? Or can anyone suggest something safe for gigs? Large crowds, violence, small spaces.

Lets see what we can come up with :eusa_clap

I go to far too many gigs and never let that encourage me to dress down ;)

Cotton dresses, cute flats for when it is dry and fun wellys for when its not. Capris and tied shirts are a favourite of my best friend. Hair up in rolls, snoods, headscarfs, pigtails and you are away. And I'm sure you'll have a grand time, there are some great bands playing this year.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
You should start training your hair not to need washing too (and give yourself an excuse to buy some pretty headscarves, snoods, bandanas etc!) by washing it less frequently. I am doing that now anyway, even though I'm not attending any festivals. A year or so ago, I was washing every day, now I can comfortably go 3 days without washing, only needing a bandana to disguise greasiness on the last day. My hair is in much better condition now too.

Brooksie

One Too Many
When I used to be an over the road truck driver I used to have to go for 3 or 4 days with out a shower *yuck* sadly my hair usually ended up looking greasy because it was very oily at that time but it was spiked in the crown and a lot longer and fringy around the face so I just got creative with little barrettes, clips and pins - I figured most people probably figured I just a had a lot of gel in it, because I do not look like the greasy dirty type.

As far as wardrobe I wore jeans of course and skirts a lot too, i had a few straight knee length skirts, I had a black one a brown one and a jean one. I usually wore them with those shirts from Dickies (they remind me of a shirt that a gas attendant would wear in the 50's) that have the little patch that says "Dickies" on it, in colors that complimented my skirts, then I would wear white sox (kind of had a bobby sox look)and converse -I had about 4 pairs at the time and still do. A neck scarf would look cute with this look also but at the time I did not think of adding one in...I didn't have time to think of much but work!

Another thing you might want to get are those pre-moistend facial wipes that can be used without water, I ended up using those a lot when I was on the road because there were times I did not even have time to wash my face with cleanser and water.

Brooksie

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I definately agree with the pre-moistened facial wipes! When I'm visiting my fiance on tour (being stuck on a tour bus with 14 smelly guys, no shower in sight for possibly days, and absolutely no privacy), these are a lifesaver!

Bandanas are my best friends as well! I can sometimes sneak in the rare shower or "sink shower" to wash my hair. I'll pincurl (and setting lotion) the back of my hair and hide it under the bandana. That way I can wear denim and saddle shoes for the day and the following day I can feel "clean" by having my hair curled and wearing something nice. The day after that is "snood day". Repeat process! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn