Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson Field Bags

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Does anybody have any experience with this type of bag? I've seen them in the David Morgan catalog, and they look pretty good, like they'd be nice for the field and for travel. I'm thinking about getting a new bag that can serve the double duty, since I'll presumably be visiting some digs while in England but also be doing a good bit of city travel as well.

So basically, I need something that will hold up really well and perform in the field, but also be nice enough to carry when I go out to dinner, and roomy enough to carry a laptop without getting the hell beat out of it.

If you've carried the Filson before, will it serve the duty? Is it worth the price? Should I buy one on eBay if I can find it? Does anybody have one that they want to get rid of? Is this too many questions lol ?

J

JohnTheGreek

Filson will hold up to nearly anything for years and years. I own a bunch of their clothes that have served well in any season from Zimbabwe to the Yukon and the Rocky mountains of Utah back to Cairo. I've also dragged a bunch of their field bags, duffles, and outfitter bags through airport terminals and baggage claim at a bunch of different airports. Let me tell you, if you think American or European baggage handlers are tough on your things, wait 'til you see what African baggage guys can do! In short, Filson makes the most durable clothing and luggage you are likely to find. They also stand behind their prouct if things go wrong. I tore the knees out of a pair of Wool Bibs when I fell while hunting in Canada a few years ago and Filson not only fixed the tear for free but also sent me two yards of oil finish tin cloth for free so I could customize the garment and never tear the knees out again. Good service, nice people. I do definitely suggest buying on Ebay or via Gallenson's in Salt Lake City, Utah (they give 20% off retail much to the annoyance of Filson).

Hope this helps,

John

Kodiak

A-List Customer
That helps immensely John. I really, really appreciate it.

Does Gallenson's have a website? I've found Filson stuff for about 8% off, but nothing like 20%.

Thanks again my friend.

J

JohnTheGreek

No problem. I found their number online for you..... 1-801-328-2016. When you call them you need to be kinda cautious as I'm not sure Filson knows or would be happy to know that they are selling at 20% off retail. So, the store is naturally a bit cautious about giving those prices since they don't want to lose their status as a Filson dealer. If you call and say, "Hi, are you selling filson at 20% off", you'll probably get a NO in response. You'll do much better if you call and say, "Hi, my buddy told me that you guys have some great prices on Filson, if I give you some item numbers will you quote me prices?". When she say's "sure", follow up with "rumour has it you're doing 25% off retail". The girl at the front desk who will likely answer the phone is a sweetheart and will politely correct you back to 20%. I know it sounds crazy but that's the game. I was actually there a few weeks ago and they had some luggage stock sitting around. Obviously, they'd be happier selling that stuff than anything they have to bring in so you might just ask them what they have laying around in terms of field or duffle bags.

Hope this helps.

John

Kodiak

A-List Customer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff