Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson "orginal hunting vest"

Alexi

One of the Regulars
does anyone own one of these and want to comment on its fit?

pFILSON1-2994893p275w.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I like old Hunting vests.
I bought a canvas RL one because it was there, in "my size"
and a classic style. I think it was a copy of a vintage Abercrombie and Fitch,
complete with big back pocket.

It's a really, really sloppy fit. I need to alter it.

I'll be interested to see more of this one and how it fits.

B
T

Alexi

One of the Regulars
so the consensus is the run large, Filson calls them a 36-38, I fit in a 38 mackinaw vest, but usually a size 40 jacket. I may just get the small.

and for belly tank, here is a view of the back:
FIL-032_1.jpg

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
What're you gonna do in it? It's a hunting vest, meant to fit over your other clothes, maybe a jacket. Supposed to have room to swing in it.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Alexi said:

Dear Alexi,
I do....and will be getting myself back inside it very soon for our Massachusetts upland bird season, as you perhaps are thinking, yourself.

I've had mine for about a decade: it's impossible to talk about fit, because as another Lounger has commented, these are intended to be worn over other clothes, and still have room for a bunch of birds stuffed here and there, as well as your sandwich, and, and, and: they're carriers, really, not "vests" in the clothing sense. If you are thinking of them as a fashion statement, rather than a practical hunting garment....go smaller than you would usually. If you're going to use it afield....you'll never worry about the fit.

If you are interested in the "historicity" of the garment, in a reenactor sense, be aware that they have tinkered with the design: you know, "improved" it; for instance, the alleged easy-open snaps on the front pockets are a modern addition. It's quite LIKE the original vest....but when I bought mine, it WAS the original vest. Ditto: the "original hunting coat."

The other thing to consider: I have no idea whether they are making the current versions out of the real old "tin cloth" which really WILL stand up in the corner on a chilly day; I think they've cheaped out and catered to modern sensibiilities and are now using a lighter cloth. But the older stuff wears like iron, and does loosen up a bit with wear.

Hope this helps,
"Skeet"

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Why not just have one's tailor make the garment from a style that you already know that you like? Have one copied. Tailor's are reasonable in most instances. I know that most tailors not on Savile Row would only charge around $65. to $120. for such a garment and it really would be worth it not to have to hunt and peck for the thing to find one in the first place let alone one that would fit correctly in a decent color! Besides, custom made (either made-to-measure or bespoke tailoring) is how it was done in the past by everyone anyhow.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Evan Everhart said:
Why not just have one's tailor make the garment from a style that you already know that you like? Have one copied. Tailor's are reasonable in most instances. I know that most tailors not on Savile Row would only charge around $65. to $120. for such a garment and it really would be worth it not to have to hunt and peck for the thing to find one in the first place let alone one that would fit correctly in a decent color! Besides, custom made (either made-to-measure or bespoke tailoring) is how it was done in the past by everyone anyhow.

because heavyweight waxed cotton is expensive yardage and not easy to work with so that would up the price. Also I don't know a tailor who is skilled enough to just make up a vest with bellows pockets and front game pouches without doing a few mock-ups first, adding time and money into the equation.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Evan Everhart said:
I know that most tailors not on Savile Row would only charge around $65. to $120. for such a garment

At that price, they'd have to be not on Savile Row by several thousand miles... :rolleyes:

Tell us precisely where you'd get a vest like this made at that price. We'll all head off down there and get kitted out top to toe for $500.

Off topic: Antipodean slang is ace.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I take my upland shooting VERY seriously and I have had one for almost 20 years. I have not used it in almost 19 years. There is nothing practical about this vest. In fact, it is very impractical. First, a vest should have a game bag hanging off the back - this one does not. As a result, anything that you wind up shoving in the back of the vest ends up taking room out of the inside of the vest. (The vest is basically two layers of their tin cloth sewn together at the top and the bottom with openings in the front and behind the shoulders.) Put two grouse OR one phez in the vest and you will lose 4"-6" of room inside. Also, they are stiff as a board (seriously, if you have never owned a piece of the oil-tim cloth you can't even imagine how stiff they are.) If you hunted in the vest 10-15 days a year it will probably take 3-4 years until the vest feels comfortable.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Filson and own hundreds of $$$ worth of the stuff but this is the only piece I have ever regretted buying.

If you are looking for a traditional looking garment for hunting I suggest their Style 622 coat. The design is perfect for upland or waterfowl hunting. Short length, big game bag, deep pockets, wool collar. This is the real deal. Buy at least one size larger as their garments will shrink once the wax wears out/off and the cotton duck material gets wet and then dries. Also, check out their Strap Vest (Style 16202). It will carry 4-big phez or grouse with no problem. Carries nicely, good pockets and no metal to scratch/ding the finish on a shotgun.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Doublegun said:
I take my upland shooting VERY seriously and I have had one for almost 20 years. I have not used it in almost 19 years...Put two grouse OR one phez in the vest and you will lose 4"-6" of room inside. Also, they are stiff as a board (seriously, if you have never owned a piece of the oil-tim cloth you can't even imagine how stiff they are.) If you hunted in the vest 10-15 days a year it will probably take 3-4 years until the vest feels comfortable.]

Well, DG....I guess this is what makes the world go 'round. I take my upland hunting very seriously as well, and am lucky enough to be out almost every weekday during our 6-week season here in MA....now, I don't have to worry about jamming LOTS of birds in the vest...our regs are 2/day...and because no one will lay an axe to a tree, or let God burn them down from time to time, we don't have any more pa'tridge, because there's no habitat. So what goes in the vest is Pheasants. I have no problem with it...and believe me, I'm ROUND myself...losing the extra space because of filling the game bag is no problem for me. BTW: I'd say your take on the time it takes for one of these to "break in" is spot-on: for me, hunting as I'm able to, it took a little less than two years.

Admittedly, for me, there's an element of reenactment in all of this: if I'm not hunting 1850-style (which I do a few days a season)....I'm hunting late 19-teens--early 1920s style...so, comfortable or not, the authenticity of the vest is an issue to me and probably is not for you. And the strength of the material is a MAJOR issue to me, here in the thorn-hells of New-England covers: tin cloth may be stiff....but when I come out of a thicket where one of the dogs is on a point....I don't look like the dog's belly does! I LIKE that.

Any road, two serious hunters with two completely different takes on the same garment!

MI season is already open, no? Shoot straight, and may the Red Gods reward you!

"Skeet"

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
I like many am a Filson Fan (the original, not the new stuff). I've worn the strap vest and the Old style 32 for 10+ years, my cousin has a 32 that must be 20+ years old.

I love the strap vest for early season or good weather-- light and I can move.
I wear and love the 32 in cold weather. I love the front loading game pouch, and have never had a problem with carrying mulitple birds. 10quail or 5 phez- though the phez get heavy, not their fault though. I also find the simple style of Filson Vests to be very easy to slip through barbed wire fences. My jackets always get hung up.

I wear a 46 in the wool vest that Filson sells, and have a large in the 32. Plenty of room to place over an extra-heavy wool field shirt, long johns, and a reg shirt. The only thing that I don't like is the vest is very warm, and my sweat will condense on the back- sometimes a bit uncomfortable. I really avoid a true hunting coat if at all possible, too much to get hung up on that aforementioned barbed wire.

I even had filson make me a custom vest based on some discontinued designs, and out of the un oiled tin cloth. Breathes MUCH better.
I just returned from 5 days in SD and ND trying to take a few Phez and Grouse. Too much crop still in the field--tough hunting. Not to mention Snow, Cold, Wind-- but it was the Dakotas.

Enjoy the birds!

All the Best,

CH

Alexi

One of the Regulars
here are some pictures of mine, it's a size small. I like how the cut-away bottom just clears my Brady shotgun cartridge belt (not shown, when the gin comes out the guns get put away).
img0289.jpg

img0291a.jpg

also shown:
Orvis moleskin trousers, Barbour sweater and Chippewa #25290 boots

WH1

Practically Family
Alexi said:

Gents,
I am a life long bird hunter, (looking forward to my GSP's first season this year) and user/fan of Filson. Growing up in the Pacific Northwest it was practically a given that your first hunting knife was a Gerber, your first scope was a leopold and your first hunting jacket was a Filson. So I have much experience and own many Filson items.
Just an observation on that vest, most of Filson's original equipment was built for the logging/mining industry and for use in the saw mills. I suspect that the vest in the above picture is specifically for a timber "cruiser" to use in the field not a hunting vest. The front pocket is not a game pocket but a map pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy