Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson Westlake Review

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
10204-main-242.jpg

I just got this yesterday so I thought I'd give it a quick and dirty review.
Firstly, the fit is spot on.
I'm a true 39 and this is a Med. It's one of the best fitting garments I've ever owned.
Not too tight, not too loose. I can wear a light sweater or Filson vest under it easily.
One thing that I love are the darts in the elbows; when I bend my arms, the cuffs don't ride up the wrists at all.
This is my first Filson Waxed Cotton garment (the Westlake is their mid-weight Shelter Cloth) and I'm very impressed.
It's pre-owned and the oil finish is perfect; not too dry, not too oily. However, I don't know what it was like when new.
The fabric weight is really nice, almost having the feel of a supple leather.
The lining (cotton plaid) is beautiful, both in color, and feel and it's finished nicely inside.
Arms are lined in nylon for easy on/off.
There's also some nice moleskin at the wrists and collar for comfort.
As you notice, there are no shortage of pockets in the thing.
Inside there is a vertical zippered wallet pocket on the left side, and a horizontal open pocket on the right
Outside, there are 4 buttoned pockets, one horiz zippered pocket, and 2 hand warmer pockets behind the lower buttoned pockets.
That makes 9 in total if I've counted correctly!
It's kind of overkill, but I like the look.
In addition to the button closure, there's a full length zipper to block the wind.
Surprisingly, there were a few loose thread ends here and there, and some of the button holes looked a little rough, but nothing that would affect function. Also, there was the beginning of a hole next to one of the outer chest pockets.
This is a little worrisome as it's not an area that sees any wear.
I've seen quite a few pre-owned FIlson Oil Cloth jackets with holes in areas that you wouldn't expect (even in their Tin Cloth), so I don't know what to make of this.
I wore it to walk the dogs in yesterday and it felt great.
Then I took another faster walk for some exercise.
It was in the low 50's here and I was quite wet from sweat when I got home.
Guess I know what the usable range of the jacket is now.
It's supposed to rain today and I'll probably do a quick check of its water resistance.
For strenuous activities in the rain, Oil Cloth isn't the way to go.
Gore-Tex is still probably the best bet.
But Gore-Tex doesn't look like Oil Cloth!!!
Bottom line, I love the fit, style and perceived toughness of this jacket.
It's the kind of easy wearing jacket that'll probably be the first thing I reach for when going out the door on mid-temp days.
So, here's my quandry.
This is a $385 list jacket:eeek:
It's nice, but not that nice.
It isn't even that warm, nor does it use their top end materials (Mackinaw Wool or Tin Cloth).
So how does Filson justify getting $385 for them.
Plus, you'd expect no loose threads, rough button holes, or "God Forbid" holes in unexpected places.
If the hole were starting on one of the elbows, I'd understand.
As it is, I only spent $150 delivered and I'm happy with my purchase.
If I'd paid $385 for it, even without the hole, I'd be disappointed.
I'd love to hear your comments, specially if you own one of these.
Thanks for reading.
Lenny

Last edited:

pipvh

Practically Family
I don't see your quandry. You've got a jacket you like for an excellent price, and you're happy with your purchase.

I've owned a few Filson things - still have my mackinaw vest - and I've always found the quality to be spectacular. I know they're moving - edging might be more accurate - into the fashion end of the market, and perhaps with increased volume they've had some quality control issues. Tin cloth, by the way, is fantastically waterproof but, as you've found, will make you sweat like a fiend. It also, because it doesn't seem to be the slightest bit breathable, catches all the condensation on the inside. I'd often cut wood in the rain (in my tin cloth cruiser) and find that, although the jacket had kept all the rain out, it had also soaked me with condensation. The trade-off was incredible resistance to thorns and brambles, and wind. Since moving back to more temperate climes I've sold that particular jacket...

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Solid jacket at a no-brainer price. winner-winner ;)

Filson is expensive stuff, but you fully get what you pay for IMO. I own a mackinaw, briefcase, some gloves, and a guide shirt, and have never for a second regretted my purchases. Shucks, the jacket I'm eyeing now is $400+.

Enjoy the Westlake (pm me if you come across a Guide Work jacket sz med :) )

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I love my tin cloth type 3, wear it all the time. One thing I noticed about it is that I have black and it faded in the sun the very first time I wore it. I kinda like the look but others might not.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
With Filson, I've always noticed two things: 1) the fabrics 2) the jaw-dropping prices. The first time I ran into a Filson wool, the fabric blew my mind. Being from the Midwest, I'd never seen anything like it. The price quickly knocked it all down to size.

They've always been expensive, but now that they're redirecting the company more towards the fashion/retro arena, they're almost forced to price items high. The people who buy that stuff are used to spending a lot of money on clothing (multi-hundred dollar jeans, $1000+/- boots, etc), and the price point and cost association is part of that. They'd sell fewer at $100 than they would at $400. I know it makes no sense, but some markets demand it. While the old meaning of "you get what you pay for" is dead and gone, there is a new meaning of "you get what you pay for" that includes a high priority on status. A $1000 handmade boot is more desirable than a $150 handmade boot. It isn't only about being exclusive, though. A $150 handmade boot creates suspicion, even if the suspicion proves false. It's a nagging. It's a discomfort. At $1000, you're convinced this thing is authentic. All this stuff is a mind game, and these manufacturers are playing a dance with it all.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I tried on a Westlake in large, extra long when I was visiting the flagship Filson store in Seattle 18 months ago and noted that it fit me exceptionally well but didn't buy it for some of the reasons described above. It is always good to find a Filson anything at bargain prices. My least success has been finding Filson moleskin vests at anything below list price. In my area (N central Texas), the moleskin vests are perfect for layering underneath.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I'm surprised that someone from the midwest would be unfamiliar with mackinaw-cloth garments. I was under the impression that the mackinaw jacket was ubiquitous there.
It probably is more common in Minnesota, upper Wisconsin, UP-Michigan, and those upper Midwest areas where they still log, work on the Great Lakes, and whatnot. By the time you hit Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, Missouri, and Indiana, those type garments and fabrics are not common. I can count on one hand how many times I've seen Filson in a retail setting. There are woolen mills in Duluth, but I didn't see those products until I was up in that area. Other than eBay, I haven't seen those since. I get the impression Mackinaw fabric and design is far more common in the Pacific Northwest.

Apdl

New in Town
Hey op
I just picked this up wondering how you clean the flannel and keep it fresh

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have a Filson unlined trucker in tincloth - I like it but it is nothing special. Drizabone make better and do it cheaper.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've 5 Filson products. A Tin Cloth Ranch, some shelter cloth model with a zillion snaps, 2 mackinaws, one in grey one an black and one double mack in green. All bought at reasonable prices on the bay. All the macks' were new.

Worf

Christo

New in Town
Thanks for sharing the information about the Filson Westlake jacket. I am ready to pull the trigger on a Filson Jacket and was torn b/w the Westlake and the Short Cruiser jacket. The Westlake has been discounted whereas the Short Cruiser has not. Do you know if the Westlake is a longer jacket than the short cruiser. Trying the determine the better value based on style and price. Thanks!

So33

One of the Regulars
The Westlake is a longer jacket. The Westlake is more detailed in its design. If you know what to expect in oil cloth performance and ok with it, you won't be disappointed with the Westlake.

Edward

Bartender
Wouldn't pay full price myself, but the USD150 sounds very reasonable for what it is. Puts me in mind a little of something along the lines of an M42, without the belt and adapted for civilian use. I can see it being an excellent travel jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy