Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally got an old Stetson 7X!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Well this hat may not be everyone's cup of tea (Chiliarches turned it back to seller) but it is mine. Dinerman thinks it's '50s and he knows his stuff. I'm feeling like it's the earlier part of that decade at least.

{Chili': You have acquired some very nice fedoras, man, and you look outstanding wearing them but I gotta' say I'm glad this one didn't suit you and I'm not tryin' to rub it in, just wanting to share all the details with the crowd.}

I've been looking for a 7X for a while and got a deal on this. Super smooth, thin, dense felt. Zero moth nibbles. One tiny mark that came right off. Grungy liner that I already OxyCleaned successfully. Replacement sweatband job (no imprinting on it at all), but obviously done back in the day when they used light tan leather with an organic reed, embossed detailing and a welded seam rather than a sewn one.

WARNING - THE FOLLOWING IS NOT FOR THE WEAK OF HEART: Although these shots are from when I first got a hold of it, I am now in the process of altering this beauty. Per my original plan, I've trimmed off the edge binding and about an 1/8" all around (a touch more on the sides) and I'm replacing the ribbon with a vintage 1-5/8" navy blue one. Updates on that in a day or so.

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks great, Gene. Nice work! Please PM me on how you cut the brim so evenly

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Interesting to see the details! I am already curious about the outcome of your style tuning venture. Sounds thrilling! Do show us more about the progress!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Garrett said:
Looks great, Gene. Nice work! Please PM me on how you cut the brim so evenly

I'll PM you too but it was a synch using an Xacto knife with #11 blade and using the thin ribbon as a guide. I laid the hat on a cutting matt and just eyed it all the way around keeping close-ish to the ribbon edge. The other factor which now works to my advantage is I've trimmed a few brims this way now and gotten over the fear.

Mr. Paladin

Gene, great work on that one so far. I love the ease that the creases appear to go into it. The photo of the third one looks just like the crease my 3X beaver OR came with. Continue the saga as you can; we are all waiting for the ribbon chapter!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
I laid the hat on a cutting matt and just eyed it all the way around keeping close-ish to the ribbon edge. The other factor which now works to my advantage is I've trimmed a few brims this way now and gotten over the fear.

Good strategy. Have you ever tried following the binding with scissors? Or have you done it with blade only?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Gene -- knowing you, I'm sure the results will be fantastic. But, MAN -- that is painful to watch...:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Cheers,
JtL

Akubra

Familiar Face
SWEET HAT!!!

My only felt Stetson is a 4X. The 7X must be really fine!

I have to ask, did you steam the hat to put all those creases in it?? If not it truly is an amazingly malleable hat.

Garrett

Akubra said:
SWEET HAT!!!

My only felt Stetson is a 4X. The 7X must be really fine!

I have to ask, did you steam the hat to put all those creases in it?? If not it truly is an amazingly malleable hat.

He "dry" bashed them meaning no steam or water

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Garrett said:
He "dry" bashed them meaning no steam or water

Yup.

I have since wetted the hat down and established a crease much like the sixth photo. The wetting allowed me to get that little hump in the middle of the crown necessary for a comfy ride on top of my head.

--------------------

Sorry, no progress today. I had a double-header of caricature gigs. Tomorrow, I'll tack on the ribbon and take shots. This on has rocketed to my (and Nicki's) top five of my hats.

---------------------

I have to thank (blame lol ) Dinerman and Jimmy the Lid for their influences and information leading me to covet one of these so much. With the hats of real good vintage felt I sort of seem to be doing a JtL front pinch too - but with a HPG crinkly crown. :D

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
I have to thank (blame lol ) Dinerman and Jimmy the Lid for their influences and information leading me to covet one of these so much. With the hats of real good vintage felt I sort of seem to be doing a JtL front pinch too - but with a HPG crinkly crown. :D

:D :D :D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
MAN -- that is painful to watch...:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Michaelshane said:
Sigh.......

Inusuit said:

gtdean48 said:
Ditto... but that was a SWEET thin ribbon OR style leaving us.... :eek:

C'mon guys, send me yours - I've got a sharp knife ready to go!:D :D :D

----------------------

Truth is that this certainly was a nice representative of that albeit common style, but I've got several thin ORs and clones already. Because this felt is so special this hat is going to get a treatment which, to me, spotlights that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo