Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally got an old Stetson 7X!

Inusuit

A-List Customer
HarpPlayerGene said:
C'mon guys, send me yours - I've got a sharp knife ready to go!:D :D :D

Gene, it's your hat and you're doing what you want with it. And doing it well. My affection for thin ribbons and Open Roads does make it painful to watch one go away.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
The GORE:

DSC_0001-1.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Wow! You had a vision of what could be, and you executed it. I was among the cringers, but you really created a gem of a hat.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

A few years ago I might well have been among those bemoaning what you did to that hat, Gene. But that was back when I had such a strong bias for those narrow-ribboned lids that I was all but blinded to other possibilities. (Speaking only for myself, mind you. I'm not suggesting that anyone else here is so blinded.)

I still like that Open Road style, and it's no mystery to me why it has remained so popular over the decades. But it's that very popularity that makes each individual example a bit less precious. There have been literally millions and millions of them made over the years, and many, many fine vintage examples remain. The assorted manufacturers made their own version of the basic style, and they were (and are) so common that one fairly large-scale hat retailer I know refers to them as "four by fours," a reference to the four-ligne band ribbon and four-ligne edge binding.

Speaking of edge binding ... I like what you've done with the hat, and it looks good with the raw edge. But I'm thinkin' that a six-ligne medium gray edge binding might look real good.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Michaelshane said:
I'm still cringing....The thin ribbon looks better.[huh]

gtdean48 said:
:arated: It looks okay but have to agree with Michael...

RBH said:
I have to agree. [huh]

The usual suspects. :D

I can respect that though. It's not like I thought this hat exactly stunk up the place before, but I'll wear and enjoy it more this way. (I'll also enjoy plenty of thin ribbons!!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters