Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally got to see The Maltese Falcon...

Marc

Vendor
Hey all,

today I received a... let's call it "safety copy" from The Maltese Falcon from a Bogart fan here in Germany, that I met through my work at the office.

It was a video cd in opposite to a DVD, but nonetheless the quality of the picture is superb.

I really enjoyed the movie, smoking a thin long filler at the same time (it was too early for a whisky though;) ) and was quite impressed when I finally got to see how perfect MK's Falcon matches the one seen on screen.

Just wanted to share, that I had a blast whatching a movie that has been recommended so often in here.

Regards,

Marc

Feraud

Bartender
I love this film! I have it in dvd and watch it every so often. The dvd has a nice 'making of' that is worth watching. Huston was quite a character. They don't make 'em like that anymore..

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I watch the DVD often as well. The characters are great. Peter Lorre was an interesting guy and it is curious that Bogart, Greenstreet, and Lorrie were all in "Casablanca" together.

Bogart has such a command of the character.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Peter Lorre was an interesting guy and it is curious that Bogart, Greenstreet, and Lorrie were all in "Casablanca" together.

They were all in Huston's lesser known Across the Pacific too. They were Warner Bros. contract players and were assigned roles for all kinds of reasons - Huston liked Bogart and tried to cast him often, and Bogart, Lorre and Greenstreet were a money making team in the Maltese Falcon, and the big boys like that, hence they were all cast in Across the Pacific. Lorre and Greenstreet worked together frequently. Have you seen the Mask of Dimitrious?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jake_fink said:
They were all in Huston's lesser known Across the Pacific too. They were Warner Bros. contract players and were assigned roles for all kinds of reasons - Huston liked Bogart and tried to cast him often, and Bogart, Lorre and Greenstreet were a money making team in the Maltese Falcon, and the big boys like that, hence they were all cast in Across the Pacific. Lorre and Greenstreet worked together frequently. Have you seen the Mask of Dimitrious?
I did not know that. I will have to keep an eye out for these films. Hopefully, TCM will play them sometime soon.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Isn't "Across the Pacific" the one where John Huston had to leave to report for his Army Signal Corps duty while the picture was still filming? His final shooting left Bogie in a seemingly impossible to escape situation... and left the replacement director and screenwriter with a huge problem to solve!

I haven't seen this film in years, but I seem to recall reading this in a book about Huston...

And Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre appeared in lots of films together - they were considered the criminal version of Laurel and Hardy for a while!

Bill O'Rights

New in Town
MK said:
Maltese Falcon?.....I don't know that one. I will have to see it sometime.

;)
Ok...you had me going there. For about 3 seconds. :D

The Maltese Falcon is a "must have" for any classic film collection. Second only to Cassablanca.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Never heard of it.

my_bird.jpg

:cool:

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
Here's a bit of trivia y'all might appreciate: I've had occasion to run into to the daughter and grandaughter of Dashiell Hammett, the author of "The Maltese Falcon," a time or two, and they insist that his name should be pronounced "Da-SHEEL," not "DASH-el," like you usually hear. It's his mother's maiden name, or something.

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
I may have mentioned this before so forgive me for repeating.
A couple of weeks ago I bought the Maltese Falcon DVD at my local Wal-Mart for $5.50.
If you don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t have this DVD I'd go get it!
Regards,
Forrestal

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
I'll have to keep an eye out for the DVD at walmart. The Maltese Falcon is one of my all time favorite flicks. I could-and do- watch it over and over again. The acting, story, dialogue, EVERYTHING in the film is just great. Bogart as Spade is endlessly fascinating, and Bogie is so convincing in the character he really becomes the character. The supporting cast is of course superb as well. What's not to like?

kools

Practically Family
The Maltese Falcoln has long been my favorite film and favorite book of all time. It's got just the right touches of drama, suspense, and ethics all with an exotic flair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari