Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finger wave

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
How do you achieve a finger wave? I have sooo much hair and it's layered quite a bit - I had a go but either I am doing it wrong or it collapsed under the sheer weight of itself. If someone could talk me through a step by step dummy guide and even take pics of themselves doing it - as the diagrams on the net have only confused me.

Thanks ladies!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I cheat....

I use a triple barrel curling iron to approximate a finger wave. Hopefully someone will post with more vintage instruction than that ;)

There used to be some good instructions on the nocturine page, but when I checked it last the pic links were broke.

Honey Doll

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
I've had really good luck using sponge curlers and then brushing in a wave. And when I'm in a hurry, I'll wrap the top, front portion of my hair (where I would have bangs if my hair weren't all one length) around small hotsticks, using another hotstick to curl the bottom into what looks like a pin curl. Does that make sense?

In other words, I'll take a small strand of hair at the root and wrap it around the small hotstick leaving the ends loose. Then I'll use another small hotstick to curl under the end to mimick a pincurl. Then I use medium sized hotsticks around the rest of my head to curl the ends into what look like pincurls. I have shoulder length hair, but when I'm done I have a chin-length wave/pincurl set that lasts all day. I part my hair on the side and use a vintage barrette or flower to pin back the wave so it doesn't fall in my face.

And oh yeah, I have extra hotsticks that I bought on ebay.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Honey Doll said:
I use a triple barrel curling iron to approximate a finger wave. Hopefully someone will post with more vintage instruction than that ;)

There used to be some good instructions on the nocturine page, but when I checked it last the pic links were broke.

Honey Doll

thanks ladies! cheating sounds ok to me though, what is this triple barrel curling iron u speak of?:)

Nashoba

One Too Many
Rebecca D said:
I've had really good luck using sponge curlers and then brushing in a wave. And when I'm in a hurry, I'll wrap the top, front portion of my hair (where I would have bangs if my hair weren't all one length) around small hotsticks, using another hotstick to curl the bottom into what looks like a pin curl. Does that make sense?

In other words, I'll take a small strand of hair at the root and wrap it around the small hotstick leaving the ends loose. Then I'll use another small hotstick to curl under the end to mimick a pincurl. Then I use medium sized hotsticks around the rest of my head to curl the ends into what look like pincurls. I have shoulder length hair, but when I'm done I have a chin-length wave/pincurl set that lasts all day. I part my hair on the side and use a vintage barrette or flower to pin back the wave so it doesn't fall in my face.

And oh yeah, I have extra hotsticks that I bought on ebay.

Wow that sounds like a really good method! I'm going to have to give that one a try. I've been using the pillow curlers because really I'm just lazy and don't have the motivation to do the pin curls. But it usually poofs on me and it takes several hours to coax into a style. I'll have to try the hotsticks. I havn't used them in years.

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Yesterday morning I actually just put setting lotion in my damp hair and it came out fingerwave-ish. But I do have a natural wave, so it probably only just fluffed it up a bit. [huh]

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Thanks, Faye Valentine! I think that's the best fingerwave tutorial I've ever seen online. I'm hopeless at doing my own hair, but I have a friend who's a cosmetologist and maybe I can persuade her into doing my hair in fingerwaves sometime.

I actually wore them to my senior prom; they didn't look super authentic because the hairstylist wasn't great at it, but I love the style.

KAT

A-List Customer
honey doll...do you have apicture of the waves you create with the triple iron?
i always see it at the supply store and i always wanna buy it but i never do!
maybe you can convince me buying it!
;)

kirawoidan

New in Town
I actually considered buying the triple barrel, but I looked up the marcel wave, made with a curling iron. It's like a finger wave, but it was made originally with a single barrel "marcel iron". I tried it with a regular curling iron and its very cute. It takes a little time, but it's worth it. You make the waves by making a crimping pattern. Alternating upside down and right side up, it creates a fingerwave like style and you don't have to buy another gadget!

Faye Valentine

Polka Dot said:
Thanks, Faye Valentine! I think that's the best fingerwave tutorial I've ever seen online. I'm hopeless at doing my own hair, but I have a friend who's a cosmetologist and maybe I can persuade her into doing my hair in fingerwaves sometime.

I actually wore them to my senior prom; they didn't look super authentic because the hairstylist wasn't great at it, but I love the style.

You're welcome! That site is quite useful but I'm too scared to try it on myself. I don't think I'd be able to do it. Plus, my hair seems kinda long for that.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Here's a pic

KAT said:
honey doll...do you have apicture of the waves you create with the triple iron?
i always see it at the supply store and i always wanna buy it but i never do!
maybe you can convince me buying it!
;)

Let me see if I can post this.... I used the curler over a brushed out set (which I wouldn't normally do), but it gives you a general idea

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/AimeeKo/image_00629.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m152/AimeeKo/image_00631.jpg

Honey Doll

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
It looks just how I want mine to look! I have found a pair on e-bay, babyliss ones. I couldn't find the hairtools pair on any UK sites, unless anyone else has spotted them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav