Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mosquito Motorcycle Leather Jacket Review

I normally would've posted this review under one of the existing Motorcycle Cross Zip Jacket threads but there isn't a whole lot going on here lately so I reckon a thread on a maker that is somewhat of a discovery (for me), might freshen things up a bit.

Mosquito cross-zip jacket review.

This jacket popped up on Grailed one morning and I clicked on BIN before even finishing reading the description - Thankfully so because the jacket was located in Ukraine and had I bothered to check on this before buying, I probably would've backed out, all things considered and all.

The jacket arrived a month later. Honestly, didn't think it would. Anyway. . .

20220606-184818.jpg

REVIEW
Don't know about y'all but I never heard of this particular maker before & I can't say I'm surprised as I don't suppose a business with such an unfortunate name was destined for fame. Damn shame too because if this particular jacket reflects the kind of quality they were capable of, Mosquito was a damn fine maker.

Made in U.S.A, the jacket oozes premium quality; Material, construction, details & features, all put many other big-time names to shame. While being equal to Vanson in weight and construction, the (not so) subtle refinement easily outclass all but their most premium pieces.

The style itself is a straightforward Perfecto which leaves little to discuss but I must, however, note some of the features that stand out, such as leather lined pockets (!) & very thickly padded, full-on winter liner.

But the kind of refinement I'm talking about is immediately apparent even upon superficial examination. I'm not sure if you can tell from the photos but the leather panels are ridiculously perfectly matched throughout the jacket; For instance, the top panels on both sleeves are cut from the same, thick but moderately pliable, grainy, showy part of the hide; For the bottom, underside panels, a very stiff and thick (and shiny) leather was used, while the small panels that connect the underside part of the sleeve to the body of the jacket - The part that's under the wearers armpits - Is made from the thinnest, softest parts.

Makes perfect sense but this kind of attention to detail is something you don't very often see even on the priciest jackets out there, vintage or otherwise.

Generally speaking, the leather is very heavy & thick with little finish. It's got that natural feel & sheen to it as you can see (I hope). Don't get me wrong, this still primarily is a motorcycle jacket and it is made from the kind of hide that reflects that but as far as actual, functional riding jackets go, this has got to be one of the most beautiful that I've had.

Talon x IDEAL mix of hardware. RiRi main is a replacement & sure, while I would've preferred the original zipper was kept intact, I can't think of a better replacement for it. Fully metal encased pin is cool af.

So yeah. What I said in my earlier post about it; It has all the cool of a Schott Perfecto, lifted to a Vanson or Bates level of quality. That is one heck of a deal for a business called Mosquito.

FIT
Typical Perfecto fit; Short & cool. Sleeves are long enough, V-shaped, plenty of space in the body, etc.
The jacket is tagged a size 40 & it fits like a 42 which means it is too big for me but honestly, for this kinda piece, I couldn't care less. I can already tell this will be my primary winter jacket.

MISC
I'm not sure what else to say.I'll often buy a jacket knowing fully well that I'll sell it sometime in the future. Occasionally, a jacket will come along that checks every single box on my perfect jacket list, one that I know I'm going to keep forever & this is one such jacket.

On to the pics. Click on any to zoom in. They big.

Now I only gotta get rid of the Harley-Davidson patch from the shoulder. . .

20220606-184721.jpg

20220606-184729.jpg

20220606-184742.jpg

20220606-184849.jpg

20220606-184855.jpg

20220606-184915.jpg

20220606-184734.jpg

20220606-184748.jpg

20220606-184824.jpg

20220604-125439.jpg

20220604-125423.jpg

20220606-184901.jpg

20220606-184938.jpg

20220606-184948.jpg

Great write up and a really cool x zip. The hide looks serious. I like the full AB design as well. Kind of like an expanded version of what Lesco does, and extended down and around the body better. Great find!

Thanks all!

I'll try to take a few fit pics soon but temperatures are stuck at around 30 degrees Celsius these days & this jacket being as heavily lined as it is, simply doesn't allow for it. I'll figure something out.

Man that's crocodile graining on the sleeves, I the best there is. Interesting collar design, wide and it looks like it rests high on the shoulder. I love it.

Now we need fit pics!

Good eye! The collar sits very high on the shoulders, I noticed this straight away when I put the jacket on, how it's nearly the same as the heavily worn French cross-zip that you sent me. I've never seen this on an USA made jacket. Makes up for a mean look when you pop the collar up.

Really nice! I love when a lesser known maker with great quality gets discovered.
Is the patch sewn on?
Fit pics please!

You'd love this jacket! With Walter Dyer, Bates and Brent, I was kind of reluctant to invest into another exact same jacket but I couldn't pass on something as cool as this.

Patch is sewn on, sadly. I'm not sure if it's glued on as well.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Another Mosquito sold in Malaysia recently -

Another Mosquito sold in Malaysia recently -

This one looks horrible tbh.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
The jacket is very well put together. The zip reminds me of some military gear I used when I was in Russia. Riri is doing it right. Sadly, some American companies are not producing these high-quality zips. There is hope that the few American companies can produce such because there is demand for such product.

The jacket is very well put together. The zip reminds me of some military gear I used when I was in Russia. Riri is doing it right. Sadly, some American companies are not producing these high-quality zips. There is hope that the few American companies can produce such because there is demand for such product.

RiRi is a damn fine zipper. If feels very sturdy and mechanical in a way I can't quite put to words. It's a much tighter zipper than Talon.

Either way, I've been wearing the jacket for two days straight - Miraculously, just as the jacket arrived, weather did a full 180 & went from 90 degrees to 40 or something within a day so this might be my last chance to wear it before storing it away for the summer - and as expected, I can already safely say that it's all that and more.

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
Nice write up on a make I’ve never heard of before. A lot to like indeed, hide looks really great and some nice construction touches as you say. For some reason I really like the shape of the kidney panel on the back. It really looks cool. Though I’m less of a fan of the full action back, albeit I guess it helps with movement..

As others have pointed out, that riri man zip with the metal covering the tape next to pin is a gem. It solves the most typical zip failure point. Thee days riri do this with plastic (nylon I think) - ive got a brass riri with this nylon/plastic reinforcement on my vanson horsehide jacket. I wsh all main zips had this feature, saves a lot of money and hassle replacing bust main zips… if the riri on your jacket is a replacement the previous owner had taste and good sense!

"100% Embossed Cow"? Yeah, that doesn't exactly scream 'quality leather'.

View attachment 432003

This must be a much later Mosquito or I dunno. I mean, mine's got 70's Talon Tear-drop pulls all over while this one has YKK. The leather is clearly horrible, probably plasticized suede and that's all not to mention the questionable 90's Euro-style.

Nice write up on a make I’ve never heard of before. A lot to like indeed, hide looks really great and some nice construction touches as you say. For some reason I really like the shape of the kidney panel on the back. It really looks cool. Though I’m less of a fan of the full action back, albeit I guess it helps with movement..

As others have pointed out, that riri man zip with the metal covering the tape next to pin is a gem. It solves the most typical zip failure point. Thee days riri do this with plastic (nylon I think) - ive got a brass riri with this nylon/plastic reinforcement on my vanson horsehide jacket. I wsh all main zips had this feature, saves a lot of money and hassle replacing bust main zips… if the riri on your jacket is a replacement the previous owner had taste and good sense!

Thanks!

It's hard to describe what makes it so cool but it's an extreme wearable jacket to put it simply.

That Riri is tops indeed! I can clearly understand now Vanson's been installing these into their horsehide jackets for a good reason.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Really nice there Monitor!! Use it and enjoy it for use. This one reminds me of my CHP-style "Just Leathers" that I found to be a surprisingly good fit and amazing quality for the $$ I paid for it.

Just wear it and love it. Neat it made it to you in the shape it is in. Great that they got the panels right on it too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails