Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finger wave

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I've had pretty good luck

Faye Valentine said:
When I used one of those (I actually stille it in my bathroom drawer) my hair looked a mess! It didn't look nice and neat and like actual fingerwaves like yours. Perhaps you used it in a special angle?

I start with a broad, flat section of hair beginning at the crown and close the iron holding the section of hair from the ends, then open the curler and slide down the length of hair, close again and so on. Were you using narrow sections of hair or starting away from the crown?

Honey Doll

Grantgirl

New in Town
Faye I was just about to post the same link I believe. That link is the BEST instructions I have found for fingerwaving and STILL I am so sick of trying them out on myself I'm ready to throw in the towel!!!!

http://www.vividinfinity.com/fingerwave/index.html

These instructions will work GREAT on the shorter hair girls. They were OK on my med length hair. You know I purchased some vintage wave clips just KNOWING they were the key to fantastic finger waves and I still have no clue how they help the process. If I was working on someone else's hair, I'd have them done in no time. On yourself, that is another story. My arms will just about FALL OFF trying to get it right.

In a recent ebay auction however, I found something I never expected to love. I bought a lot of vintage hair items- including wave clips, klippies or whatever those two prong pins are called, and these things that look like metal perm rods- they are FANTASTIC. To me, these were genius curlers, the clamping holds the hair like in a curling iron and then the clip on holds the curler in place. They replicate a pin curl perfectly and will give a HEAD FULL of curls to someone with fine straight hair like myself. I found I didn't have the 'fish-hook' ends that I would often get with a pin curl. Of course if you let the hair completely dry you could look like orphan annie but pulling some of the curl with a hot curling iron creates a great, long lasting, bouncy curl.

I'm glad I didn't throw out or give away those old metallic perm rod thingies. If you see them, grab em.

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
~landgirl~ said:
It looks just how I want mine to look! I have found a pair on e-bay, babyliss ones. I couldn't find the hairtools pair on any UK sites, unless anyone else has spotted them?
I've got some Bayliss ones that I've tried to use and failed! I think my hair is too short (just below my chin) as it just goes a bit big and lampshade like! If they were smaller it might work but I think they're better for longer hair as you'd see the pattern more!
Landgirl - if you're interested I can sell you mine, I need a clearout of stuff I can't/don't use! PM me if you're interested!

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
i have a triple barrel culring iron that my grandma bought me, with her beauty school teacher discount thing,it was $90. I love it to death,but it won't wave my hair if i have it on for about 12 seconds!! But i found that if you brush some hairspray through and then put on high gloss pomade,it will deffinatly wave really deeply.;)

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I WIsh I could do finger waves in my hair... but.. my hair is so long and thick.. its a no go :(
Oh well.. the closest I can get it like what Honey Doll said.. rollers and comb it out :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland