Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finishing / Charm School.

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I tried to do a search on this but couldn't find anything!

I would have loved to have attended finishing school ..... in the 1950s!

Did anyone ever attend one?

I was wondering what would have been taught. I thought that maybe deportment and elocution and perhaps something about appearance.

All things that I would love to learn! The modern schools don't appeal to me and, the ones I have seen advertised, are super expensive so I was hoping to teach myself. And what better place to ask than the Powder Room!

Louise Anne

Suspended
There was a ITV program "Ladette to lady" (2006) it's done in Australia now plenty on You Tube, They used to wear twins sets all day, lerned to cook , how to speek posh and Walk right in heels apart from how to talk to men but not chat them up, and host a party in the correct way.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Done in Australia? But it's a British program, right? We watched it for a while; those girls were right slappers, weren't they? On the one hand, the whole idea of Miss So-and-So's finishing school to learn flower arranging and how to receive posh eligible bachelors at a dinner party seems so archaic. On the other hand, I find the idea charming. (Minus the done-for-tv drama.)

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Yes we had an Australian version of the show. I never watched it (I really can't stand reality shows like that) & I'm not sure if it's still in production.

A lady called June Dally Watkins runs a "finishing school" in Sydney (and has done since the 50's). It's primary focus now is on "business etiquette", but some things never change (here's a quote from her web page)
"There are a few things that never seem to go out of style. Good manners, consideration for others, and an attractive personality. These are the main qualitites that people admire in one another. Best of all, attractive personal qualities are free to anyone willing to cultivate them."
More info here

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I think I only saw the British one, and just for a few episodes, as I also can't bear 'reality' shows. I mean, if they were truly real, they could be interesting; it's all the over the top added drama, that you just know has been taped and retaped for maximum effect, that puts me off. In fact, I won't even watch talk tv programs, mostly because I find the topics and presenters vapid, but also because I'm really annoyed by the explosive cheers and applause that opens each segment - you'd think frickin' Elvis had entered the building by how the audience has been revved up.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
I'm poking my head into an interesting thread, after a rather long absence. Real life and all that. I hope more references will come along, less reality tv-based. I'm off to check out the links.

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I have seen Ladette to Lady but they didn't focus on the lessons enough for me. Loved the uniforms though!

I would love to figure out a lesson plan of sorts to try and learn all the deportment, appearance and other skills.

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
Back in the 1920s, my grandmother attended something that might be considered a finishing school. It was a girls "preparatory school" in Kentucky, and many of the students went on to college. From what I remember, the school was heavy on French, art, and the humanities -not so much on math and science. The "charm" part wasn't exactly a particular class, but an expectation on how you conducted yourself during class. "Deportment" -that balancing a book on your head routine- was covered in dance instruction and PE, "hostessing" was part of home economics, and various crafts were taught in art class. I'm pretty sure you had to give speeches on occasion-I have her textbooks. And there were dances, dinners, and teas where you essentially got to practice at being a grown-up. The academics were tough, but most girls finished at 16. I think that many college bound boys also finished at 16.

I have an impression that there were/are a wide variety of finishing schools. Some had very high academic standards, and some were a place to park a girl till she got married. I understand that some expensive private schools still fill this function. :)

If you're trying to come up with a self-study program, I'd suggest starting with some old etiquette books, and picking an area you'd like to start with. I've been practicing my penmanship using some older sources. I'd hate to purchase a stationery wardrobe and spoil it with grade-school cursive. Perhaps start giving teas of your own. Or even fix yourself a five-course meal and serve it (to yourself) properly.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marsha- My grandmother finished school at 16 in the 1920s and went on to teach at 16 in a rural school. So I think you are right about that. (My grandfather also finished at 16 or 17, but that was in the teens). I think most schools used to have a etiquette program for their girls and boys (separately) in high school that fell in with hygiene and such.

HEARTH has a collection of the most influential books on etiquette in the domain of home economics (as rated by scholars). The collection is supposed to be from the 1850s to 1950s (the time of acid paper books), but because of copy right and orphaned books, it was difficult to get many books in the collection past the 1930s: http://hearth.library.cornell.edu/h/hearth/subjects.html

Louise Anne

Suspended
I have seen Ladette to Lady but they didn't focus on the lessons enough for me. Loved the uniforms though!

I would love to figure out a lesson plan of sorts to try and learn all the deportment, appearance and other skills.

I agree it was more entertainmet and poking fun, than fact and figure or how to do,
You might be able to find some books on the subject, they might have to be order in at a libary,
I think there some relevent post here also which I sure you will have read.
The other place would be to make contact with a old folks home and see in any one had memories of that period, more relistic time scale now would be from the 50's

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I have some of the Ladette to Lady seasons on DVD - there are a couple of interesting bits in them. I like the make overs!

I will have to dig out my charm books from the 1950s!

Miss Sabrina Fairchild

Familiar Face
I would love to do this as well but the people I have spoken to that do modern finishing classes weren't terribly helpful and instead made me feel like I had two heads. Instead (as one of the earlier posters suggested) I am hoping to put together my own course schedule of sorts. Any suggestions on what to include? What about books? I have one or two on beauty and another one on etiquette but I have been trying to find some sort of finishing school text book from the 50s (not even sure such a thing exists). Any ideas lovely ladies?

angeljenny

A-List Customer
A text book would be an amazing find!

eb20524.jpg

I have this ^ book as well as one on conversation. Pretty interesting!

geekgirl

New in Town
I went to cotillion, which might be along the lines of the etiquette & "finishing" you are thinking about. I was in the late 80's but very traditional.

We were taught a lot of basic manners, proper table settings for a variety of meals from informal to highly formal, how to answer the phone properly, introductions, writing letters & addressing envelopes & a bit of properly "subtle" make-up & personal hygiene like nail care. We also learned basic ball room dancing like the fox trot, waltz & two step with the boys. We had to wear skirts, polished black shoes & nylons for every class, white gloves when dancing, the right kind of make-up & in the end had a small coming out style ball with our parents at the local country club.

It definitely had an impact on how I behave even now. I still say "this is she" when asked for on the telephone, have waltzed at the drop of a hat & don't fear all those forks at a fancy restaurant!

Chole

Katue

Familiar Face
Bluebird Marsha, I wish such schools sill existed! The classes sound so interesting. It's so great that you have your grandmother's textbooks. Oh, if only you could scan them :)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I like the idea of saying "this is she" on the telephone!

My brother heard me saying "This is she" answering the phone one day and when I hung up he said to me in this mocking manner "This is she....YOU MERE MORTAL!!!!!!!" - I didn't say it in a haughty tone or anything but then again that's brothers for you isn't it?

Miss Sabrina Fairchild

Familiar Face
A text book would be an amazing find!

eb20524.jpg

I have this ^ book as well as one on conversation. Pretty interesting!

I just found this book on ebay and snapped it up. Can you share what book you have on conversation? Is it a modern book or vintage?

I have started collection some books on etiquette, charm and even housekeeping. Unfortunately for me, my mum did everything for us growing up. While it seemed great at the time I have been living out of home 15 years and have four little ones of my own and I am still learning how to even manage basic housework (I hadn't ironed anything in years ... I wasn't actually sure if I even still owned an iron!). Best part is sharing it with my daughters we are learning together.

So any book recommendations would be appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner