Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Aero leather jacket - Advise needed

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Perfect. Just perfect

Perfect that Dave can make it loose or fit, according to what you prefer.

I was under the impression that Aero didn't make black jackets with a brown base. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

I am a little worried that it will become way too expensive, ordering from Dave, with me living in the EU. I have heard from a guy from Germany inhere, that the price for a J-100, is about 1100 €. Thats about 1100 $. I could be wrong here again though.

The thing is, and why i ask all of these newbie questions, is that i really can't afford bying either an used jacket, or ordering the wrong jacket to start with, so i'll have to buy a second one. I need to get it right from start.

I have looked at some many pictures of jackets, and I simply can't find a jacket that looks better than the J-100. The shape, the leather, the brown/copper colored hardware, and i am quite sure with bodytype (kinnda slim with wide shoulders) that the fit will be, as Jim Carry would put it "like a gloooove" :D

I need a jacket that will last for many years to come, and enjoy how it changes over time. But if it comes down to that a jacket from Dave will be too expensive, i simply am out of ideas. I havent seen any jacket yet, that is close to reminesent of the J-100 in all aspects. Maybe there is a jacket outthere within the EU that can match the J-100. Maybe you guys are right. Maybe I should just let the jacket come to me, and stop the chase.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I think it’s a mistake in any walk of life to take up an interest and expect to get it right and perfect the first time. It will almost certainly lead to disappointment and a sense of anticlimax if you obsess and plan and invest so much time and effort on getting it absolutely totally right. Because the chances are it won’t live up to what you see in your mind’s eye. Nothing can or ever does.

Remember that if you buy from outside the EU you will be stung for the VAT and possibly some duty. 20% on the gross including postage costs in the UK or whatever the rate is in Denmark. If though you keep your eyes open on auction sites and sales pages and other places you could pick up a similar jacket a lot cheaper and then sell it on to get your perfect one later without financial loss. You will have learned a lot more and will know what suits you and you might even have changed your mind as to what your perfect jacket is by then.

As I wrote in my first reply I would look at Aero jackets and other jackets on eBay and on Aero’s sale and used page. The black Horween CLX they use has a brown base over-dyed with black, and the brown undertones come through with wear. A lot of wear with the only black CLX I have now. But some here say the latest batches wear quicker and show the brown quicker. Eastman’s so called Luftwaffe jackets show the brown base with a bit of wear too and they turn up on UK eBay at good prices quite often. Old jackets on eBay with the kind of wear you show in that picture can be had cheaply and if that is what you want you could buy something like that and get it relined. Because it will probably need it if the leather is a worn as you seem to like. There are always Aeros like that on eBay and they don’t fetch money because the thought of having them relined puts buyers off. But it would be worth it for you to get the look you want.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Aero's black CXL has a tea core. This Highwayman is 25 years old. It used to be black.
988575_1229531010396976_2911510911800907448_n.jpg

Goat won’t change much over years.

In my experience this is not true. Goat doesn't lose color like the CXL does, but it develops awesome grain and creases over time. Here is my Aero goatskin jacket fresh out of the box and after two years:
IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Not bad at all. Looks good. Still there's something about the look of a Shinki that I can't put my finger on. Though this observation is only after looking at, and zooming in on almost every J-100 picture from Dave that I could find. The way the leather hangs and folds, the grains, the way it fits people with my kind of body type. It even seems like it has somekind of special glow to it. But I could be totally wrong, cause how much can you really tell from a picture?

How would you descripe the look, the feeling of wearing Shinki leather, compared to other leathers? (for you guys that acctually have tried it on), not thinking about it's reputation of being one of the best leathers in the world, cause this isn't really important to me.

If there were a shop here in Denmark where I could try on a Shinki leather jacket I would do so in a heartbeat.

I guess i know nothing of leather jackets, only having tried on a couple of jackets in my lifetime, but I do know about quality and good things in life, that only gets better with age.

When i tried on my friends black, kinnda biker looking jacket some weeks ago, which fit me quite well, I was taking in. The feeling of wearing this jacket was really quite amazing and of course i looked awsome :D
Unfortunately the quality wasn't that great.

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
Can't you maybe do a road trip down to Germany and look at some of the Aero stockists there? They would have a wide selection of leathers and styles.

My only other advice would be not to overthink this, as others have said, and maybe either spend more to get it right first time or just accept that you'll possibly have a few failures.

I've wasted several Aero jackets worth of money by getting it wrong several times for various reasons. If I had my time again for my first jacket, I'd definitely get a fit jacket or visit the showroom and spend ages going over every possible option.

Good luck anyway.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Aero's black CXL has a tea core. This Highwayman is 25 years old. It used to be black.
988575_1229531010396976_2911510911800907448_n.jpg

In my experience this is not true. Goat doesn't lose color like the CXL does, but it develops awesome grain and creases over time. Here is my Aero goatskin jacket fresh out of the box and after two years:
IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

I’m not saying that goat doesn’t soften and show more grain with age. Of course it does, and my AL black goat Roadster is now much softer and grainer after three years than it was new. But an Eastman M422 I had some years ago hardly changed at all and never softened much; and unlike most leather which does show considerable surface changes over time goat will not. In fact if you want a hide which will not show wear goat is about the best for that.

Desmond007

Familiar Face
I'll be in Germany at easter, so I could spend some time there trying out some Aeros
and maybe a Shinki if I can find a shop that have it. Great suggestion.

For now I think i'll just wait until then, not ordering anything, and just spend
some time trying out different jackets here in Denmark. I might get lucky.

Thanks for helping me out guys.

Edward

Bartender
I was under the impression that Aero didn't make black jackets with a brown base. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Depends on the hide. You'd have to talk to them about that. My Dustbowl is Horween American Bison, and it has a coppery-brown undertone to the black surface.

I am a little worried that it will become way too expensive, ordering from Dave, with me living in the EU. I have heard from a guy from Germany inhere, that the price for a J-100, is about 1100 €. Thats about 1100 $. I could be wrong here again though.

With buying something in from the US, you'll certainly need to factor in a higher shipping rate, plus import tax and VAT. I wouldn't dogmatically say it's not worth it, but if you're on a budget you do just need to be aware that you'll have to set some money aside to cover that. Here in the UK, I'd be looking at an additional 25% or so on top of the purchase-plus-shipping price, but that will vary depending on what VAT is where you are (currently in the UK it's 20%).

The thing is, and why i ask all of these newbie questions, is that i really can't afford bying either an used jacket, or ordering the wrong jacket to start with, so i'll have to buy a second one. I need to get it right from start.

If you can budget for a holiday, there are worse places than the Scottish Borders.... ;) I know what you mean, though - it's far from easy getting this 'right' at a distance.

I have looked at some many pictures of jackets, and I simply can't find a jacket that looks better than the J-100. The shape, the leather, the brown/copper colored hardware, and i am quite sure with bodytype (kinnda slim with wide shoulders) that the fit will be, as Jim Carry would put it "like a gloooove" :D

I need a jacket that will last for many years to come, and enjoy how it changes over time. But if it comes down to that a jacket from Dave will be too expensive, i simply am out of ideas. I havent seen any jacket yet, that is close to reminesent of the J-100 in all aspects. Maybe there is a jacket outthere within the EU that can match the J-100. Maybe you guys are right. Maybe I should just let the jacket come to me, and stop the chase.

That's going to be a personal choice, I think. You'll know what compromises you're prepared to fit within your budget, and what isn't right. If you were buying a jacket purely for utilitarian reasons, that's much easier, but when it's for a specific style, well.... It may be better to save for longer for what you really want, if that's it, than buy one where the compromises bother you and you find you never wear as a result....

Desmond007

Familiar Face
I forgot to mention that the german guy said it was 1100 Euro incl. vat and customs.

Last edited:

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many

I'm waiting a J-100 in Shinki tea core from Dave I paid 936€ shipping included. The exchange rate is favorable to the euro.

Plus, Dave is willing to work with you about those import duties, ask him.

Desmond007

Familiar Face
I'm waiting a J-100 in Shinki tea core from Dave I paid 936€ shipping included. The exchange rate is favorable to the euro.

Plus, Dave is willing to work with you about those import duties, ask him.

What country did you order it from?

Edward

Bartender
Visiting the German Aero stockists is a good idea. Try on as many different models as you can for future reference.... ;) I'm definitely glad I went up to Gala to try out my Dustbowl and spec it out in person. It makes a huge difference to be able to try on something and get a feel for the sizing and so on.

As to Shinki..... I've seen Shinki in person (though never tried one on) and Vicenza both. For my money, they're not dissimilar enough that I would chase one over the other, but really that again is down to personal taste, and there's no right or wrong answer on that front.

Stand By

One Too Many
Desmond; welcome to the Lounge.
I'm glad you're enjoying learning the ropes from everyone here who have already learnt so much already (and as my dad says, "You pay to learn" - meaning that you have to shell out some cash to later appreciate your choices, as we all have done here!).
I'd add that, as well as relying on TFL as a learning resource (which it is, of course), the other part of this voyage of discovery would be to contact Aero directly and strike up a customer relationship with them; don't try and sound as though you know more than you do - just be honest and say that you've discovered their website and you're amazed by the jackets there and you're feeling like a dog in a forest and you just can't decide in which direction to go! So tell them what you'd need/prefer in this jacket and let them explain the leathers and let them make their suggestions for you to consider - and then ask for a selection of leather swatches be sent to you so that you can get a visual and tactile sense of what these leathers are like. They'll be happy to oblige you.
And then, when you've taken a little time to review the leathers, contact them back and give them your likes and dislikes or preferences and narrow your choices down and take it from there …
It's all part of the hunt and it's very enjoyable - and there's no need to rush it! :)

Last edited:

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Desmond; welcome to the Lounge.
I'm glad you're enjoying learning the ropes from everyone here who have already learnt so much already (and as my dad says, "You pay to learn" - meaning that you have to shell out some cash to later appreciate your choices, as we all have done here!).
I'd add that, as well as relying on TFL as a learning resource (which it is, of course), the other part of this voyage of discovery would be to contact Aero directly and strike up a customer relationship with them; don't try and sound as though you know more than you do - just be honest and say that you've discovered their website and you're amazed by the jackets there and you're feeling like a dog in a forest and you just can't decide in which direction to go! So tell them what you'd need/prefer in this jacket and let them explain the leathers and let them make their suggestions for you to consider - and then ask for a selection of leather swatches be sent to you so that you can get a visual and tactile sense of what these leathers are like. They'll be happy to oblige you.
And then, when you've taken a little time to review the leathers, contact them back and give them your likes and dislikes or preferences and narrow your choices down and take it from there …
It's all part of the hunt and it's very enjoyable - and there's no need to rush it! :)

I'll do that. Can't wait to get my hands on some leather! No rush though ;)

Stand By

One Too Many
Oh, thats interesting. So maybe it's cheaper to order a jacket made in the US when you live in France, compared to ordering one from Denmark, because you have euros and we have danish kroner?

It could well be.
For myself, I know that out here in Canada, I can deal with, say, History Preservation Associates in NY, USA for an Eastman product and deal in US dollars, or deal directly with ELC in England and spend my money in Pounds Sterling.
With our Canadian dollar being in the parlous state that is (and declining with no end seemingly in sight), I consult an online currency converter to get the exchange rates and make my decision partly-based on that. Just Google "currency converter", click one (I use XE), select your currencies and type your numbers in and it's done.
I also factor in any future travel opportunities abroad and would base/delay a purchase decision on that too - such as going to England to look in on my family (I have to go every few years to make sure they haven't forgotten all about me out here - and make sure I'm still in the Will!) which I love to do - and would try and time the visit with an airshow at RAF Duxford (which I really love to do!) where I know the ELC tent will be. So then I have to weigh the decision on the ELC price versus HPA's price and having to pay 20% VAT on the product - instead of 15% HST at this end, but plus Duty, a handling fee and postage. So various factors come into play - so it becomes a purely personal choice.
So as WDW commented, if you have a chance to take in an Aero stockist in Germany (and say, make a long weekend of it), it would be a worthwhile trip! There is simply is NO substitute for seeing racks of jackets for yourself and trying as many on as you can - and not just for size and to see and feel the leathers, but to see what suits you. I know that sometimes, there are jackets out there that simply don't love me as much as I love them - and, as great as they are, they just don't suit me - so I'm better with something else - and something surprisingly so. You just never know! :)

Desmond007

Familiar Face
"There are jackets out there that simply don't love me as much as I love them - and, as great as they are, they just don't suit me - so I'm better with something else - and something surprisingly so".

I love that phrase :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred