Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Aero leather jacket - Advise needed

Stand By

One Too Many
"There are jackets out there that simply don't love me as much as I love them - and, as great as they are, they just don't suit me - so I'm better with something else - and something surprisingly so".

I love that phrase :D

I learned that one as I had once set my heart on an ELC Star Sportswear A2. I had the 352nd A2 already, but I wanted something else that was also neater and could be better dressed up with a pair of good chinos, as well as down with jeans. I'd read up all I could about the Star Sportswear model and had a sample of leather and felt convinced, 100%, that it was just what I wanted - with the sharper collar and inset sleeves and the trim cut and really dark brown (blues and browns tend to be "my" colour). Oh yes, that was the one for me! And I held off on my purchase and off I went to England and then the airshow at RAF Duxford (not convenient for me - it's a big detour, but always worth it) and all the jackets - what a grand day out!
And, after all the reading and expectation, I finally tried on the Star Sportswear A2 …
And it looked rubbish on me. My friend agreed. It was great, don't get me wrong - but, well, it just didn't suit me! I was amazed. I hadn't expected that at all.
So, darn. 3600 miles for that. I felt rather deflated.
So I mused around the racks wondering "What now?"
And I came across ELC's black Luftwaffe jacket. I'd never even considered one as my mate had had one back around 1990, but I'd never been a big fan of his as I hadn't liked the hide - which was steerhide then. But hey, this one - it was black HH! And I tried it on - and bingo! I'd never had a black leather jacket before - I'd never expected to ever have one, as I never thought they were me, right? And this one was one of the remaining few before they were moving over to the "Time Worn" finish - and I like them without that, preferring to age them myself by wearing them.
Well, this one was it. Wow. I was amazed again. And my friend agreed.
And I got it. I immediately just knew it was a winner right there and then. And I still love it. And it remains my only black leather jacket.

And that's what I mean about not knowing. You can walk away with something entirely different - and unexpected - and altogether better.

Last edited:

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Given your location, I can't reccomend Thedi Leathers highly enough.
Theodoros will work with you to customise a jacket to your requirements.

Here's my FQHH (Horsehide) jacket is a similar style to a J-100;
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/thedi-cafe-racer-a-very-nice-surprise.83453/

Given that they are based in Greece, it may be a good cost option too.....

Holy crap, thats a nice looking jacket!

Maybe it's the light, but i seems that the J-100 from Dave, in some way
is much more black, if that is possible. As if it kinnda absorbs most of the
light hitting it ( which is, if i remember correctly, is actually what happens,
when light hits a black surface).

Check this out. Kinnda funny: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...ial-so-dark-that-you-cant-see-it-9602504.html

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Holy crap, thats a nice looking jacket!

Maybe it's the light, but i seems that the J-100 from Dave, in some way
is much more black, if that is possible. As if it kinnda absorbs most of the
light hitting it ( which is, if i remember correctly, is actually what happens,
when light hits a black surface).

Check this out. Kinnda funny: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...ial-so-dark-that-you-cant-see-it-9602504.html

Naaah wait...after closer inspection, it's probably the same. What did you pay for the jacket incl vat and all?

Desmond007

Familiar Face
I learned that one as I had once set my heart on an ELC Star Sportswear A2. I had the 352nd A2 already, but I wanted something else that was also neater and could be better dressed up with a pair of good chinos, as well as down with jeans. I'd read up all I could about the Star Sportswear model and had a sample of leather and felt convinced, 100%, that it was just what I wanted - with the sharper collar and inset sleeves and the trim cut and really dark brown (blues and browns tend to be "my" colour). Oh yes, that was the one for me! And I held off on my purchase and off I went to England and then the airshow at RAF Duxford (not convenient for me - it's a big detour, but always worth it) and all the jackets - what a grand day out!
And, after all the reading and expectation, I finally tried on the Star Sportswear A2 …
And it looked rubbish on me. My friend agreed. It was great, don't get me wrong - but, well, it just didn't suit me! I was amazed. I hadn't expected that at all.
So, darn. 3600 miles for that. I felt rather deflated.
So I mused around the racks wondering "What now?"
And I came across ELC's black Luftwaffe jacket. I'd never even considered one as my mate had had one back around 1990, but I'd never been a big fan of his as I hadn't liked the hide - which was steerhide then. But hey, this one - it was black HH! And I tried it on - and bingo! I'd never had a black leather jacket before - I'd never expected to ever have one, as I never thought they were me, right? And this one was one of the remaining few before they were moving over to the "Time Worn" finish - and I like them without that, preferring to age them myself by wearing them.
Well, this one was it. Wow. I was amazed again. And my friend agreed.
And I got it. I immediately just knew it was a winner right there and then. And I still love it. And it remains my only black leather jacket.

And that's what I mean about not knowing. You can walk away with something entirely different - and unexpected - and altogether better.

What a great story Stand By. Simply great.

Stand By

One Too Many
What a great story Stand By. Simply great.

You're entirely welcome, Desmond.
Most of us here have learnt the meaning of "Act in haste, repent at leisure" where jackets are concerned - so, at the end of the day, amongst other reasons, we're all just here to hopefully try and help steer people into making wise(r) - and un-rash - decisions.
My thing are the military jackets only - so I leave much better and more experienced people around here to discuss the intricacies of Aero leather hides and their civilian jacket models with you - but I'm glad I could help you if with only this much food for thought.
Good hunting! :)

Last edited:

Desmond007

Familiar Face
You're entirely welcome, Desmond.
Most of us here have learnt the meaning of "Act in haste, repent at leisure" where jackets are concerned - so, at the end of the day, amongst other reasons, we're all just here to hopefully try and help steer people into making wise(r) - and un-rash - decisions.
My thing are the military jackets only - so I leave much better and more experienced people around here to discuss the intricacies of Aero leather hides and their civilian jacket models with you - but I'm glad I could help you if with only this much food for thought.
Good hunting! :)[/QUOT

So many helpful and genuine folk inhere. Wish I could give you something in return for all the good advice. I'll put up some pictures when I find some leather that suits me. That's the least I can do.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think black moto or collared moto is the most versatile jacket, if you plan to be able to wear that jacket in as many situations as possible to soon get that desired worn in/ wornout look, you can't go wrong with just black moto let it be J-100 pattern or other patterns. and also sturdy simple lining, so you can wear it more throughout the year.
about color, it's impossible to judge color based on computer screen, because our screen is calibrated differently, it is best to see the leather with your own eyes, and also best to see if possible a larger sheet of it rather than just a scrap small piece, again .... if possible.

oak1971

Familiar Face
I have a flight jacket I'd like restored by Aero, but at size 42 it's too small. It says Bureau of Aeronautics Ralph Edwards Sports.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
By

By the way. How are you to tell what i can or can't say?
Don't get worked up, it's only free advice. It's just unseemly to me that we spend so much time talking about how indestructible these high quality leather jackets are, and then fussing over the tiniest details of the finish. Can you imagine Indiana Jones crying out "My beautiful patina!" as he's being dragged underneath a nazi military truck? Better to wear the hell out of your jacket, experience a lifetime of adventures, and let the patina speak for itself. Just my opinion.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I've ever used the word patina for a jacket - antique furniture and antiquities yes (I worked in that industry), but not clothing. I kind of went off the word after American Pickers hijacked it. I personally dislike the look of new leather jackets which is why I wash them to break them in, but after that the only thing I ever think about is fit.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I don't think I've ever used the word patina for a jacket - antique furniture and antiquities yes (I worked in that industry), but not clothing. I kind of went off the word after American Pickers hijacked it. I personally dislike the look of new leather jackets which is why I wash them to break them in, but after that the only thing I ever think about is fit.

Me too. Patina is the deep colour you can look into on an old piece of well finished wood, and the brown oxidised film on old bronzes which should not be polished off. In wood the result of many decades sometimes hundreds of years of polishing in dust residues. It’s part of the character of the piece should be kept and not cleaned off and re polished. But scuffs and scratches on a wood surface are not patina. They are scratches and scuffs and are unsightly on a piece of fine wood.

You can get that sort of patina with leather. More often shoes which have been polished over many years, and some heavier clothing leathers develop a deep colour which you can look into too. But scuffs and scratches on leather are not patina and neither is wrinkling and creasing and bringing up the grain. Personally I like leather to develop a nice colour and grain and to soften. But when it’s badly scratched and scuffed for me it’s time to replace it. When I was young the first thing I did with a leather jacket was to kick it down the road to make it look older, but now I prefer leather to be worn in not worn out.

dan_t

Practically Family
Naaah wait...after closer inspection, it's probably the same. What did you pay for the jacket incl vat and all?
Well, I was fortunate enough to pick this one up off another member here, so the price was less than new.

I also have an Aero Sheene made from their Steerhide. This is black, but has what appears to be a very nice brown base underneath.
Check out some pics here;
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-sheene-steerhide-when-one-is-just-never-enough.84334/

But be warned, this hide is the full fat, full flavour option. No diet conscious vegans permitted.
It is a heavy hide, which I actually love the feel of when worn. It does need some breaking I though, the jacket is still fairly new.

Some more options to confuse, ah I mean help you with....

Desmond007

Familiar Face
Well, I was fortunate enough to pick this one up off another member here, so the price was less than new.

I also have an Aero Sheene made from their Steerhide. This is black, but has what appears to be a very nice brown base underneath.
Check out some pics here;
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-sheene-steerhide-when-one-is-just-never-enough.84334/

But be warned, this hide is the full fat, full flavour option. No diet conscious vegans permitted.
It is a heavy hide, which I actually love the feel of when worn. It does need some breaking I though, the jacket is still fairly new.

Some more options to confuse, ah I mean help you with....

I love that jacket. It even has the side pockets, which the J-100 doesn't have. I just wrote Aero,
to give them an idea of what I think would work best for me in my first jacket. I'm deffently gonna
try the Sheene, when I go to Germany at easter.
Maybe they can make the same collar as the J-100 which i really like.

I'm just a bit confused. Nothing compared to when I started this research :D
J-100, Sheene, Vicenza, Shinki, black jacket with brown base, brass colored hardware.
That is what keeps popping out. But lets see what happens in Germany.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I love that jacket. It even has the side pockets, which the J-100 doesn't have. I just wrote Aero,
to give them an idea of what I think would work best for me in my first jacket. I'm deffently gonna

The Sheene is an exclusivity by Thurston and Aero

If you want a fit like the Sheene and the collar of the J-100, give a look at the Broad Racer.

Desmond007

Familiar Face
The Sheene is an exclusivity by Thurston and Aero

If you want a fit like the Sheene and the collar of the J-100, give a look at the Broad Racer.

Aero just answered my email. The suggestion was the Broad Racer.
Phew. What an awsome jacket.
I hope it likes me :D

Stand By

One Too Many

I'm just a bit confused. Nothing compared to when I started this research :D
J-100, Sheene, Vicenza, Shinki, black jacket with brown base, brass colored hardware.
That is what keeps popping out. But lets see what happens in Germany.

I'm delighted to hear that you've given Aero a ping and opened communications. Yes, these jackets are a cut above in terms of expense, but bear in mind that a part of what you pay for with all these companies is a cut above in terms of customer service, and as these jackets can be viewed as investments to a degree (as it will last you many years/decades), that is money well spent, as I've found that they tend to make doing business a pleasure. And that's becoming a rarer thing these days, so it's a great feeling to feel liked a valued customer.
And also I'm glad you're going to be visiting an Aero stockist in Germany and I look forward to seeing what you finally decide upon …

But be warned: Get the killer jacket of your dreams (and I'm sure you will), and suddenly you'll want some great and better boots to go with it and you'll get those. Ker-ching!
Then your old jeans will suddenly pale in comparison to the quality of the leathers. So then you'll be looking at selvedge denim as your jacket and boots suddenly deserve nothing less. Ker-ching!
And you'll need a better belt too - a really good one! In aniline leather! Ker-ching!
Oh dear. Hooked. But that's okay. We're all happier around here for all of this gear - as well as less well-off! LOL!
Just don't start looking at the watch sections here on TFL!!! Then it really will be all over! And there's no helping you after that. ;)

Last edited:

Desmond007

Familiar Face
I'm delighted to hear that you've given Aero a ping and opened communications. Yes, these jackets are a cut above in terms of expense, but bear in mind that a part of what you pay for with all these companies is a cut above in terms of customer service, and as these jackets can be viewed as investments to a degree (as it will last you many years/decades), that is money well spent, as I've found that they tend to make doing business a pleasure. And that's becoming a rarer thing these days, so it's a great feeling to feel liked a valued customer.
And also I'm glad you're going to be visiting an Aero stockist in Germany and I look forward to seeing what you finally decide upon …

But be warned: Get the killer jacket of your dreams (and I'm sure you will), and suddenly you'll want some great and better boots to go with it and you'll get those. Ker-ching!
Then your old jeans will suddenly pale in comparison to the quality of the leathers. So then you'll be looking at selvedge denim as your jacket and boots suddenly deserve nothing less. Ker-ching!
And you'll need a better belt too - a really good one! In aniline leather! Ker-ching!
Oh dear. Hooked. But that's okay. We're all happier around here for all of this gear - as well as less well-off! LOL!
Just don't start looking at the watch sections here on TFL!!! Then it really will be all over!

Haha :D Never was a watch kinnda guy, so no worries there.
Well, you need to spend your money on something, so why not on something that will last for many years. I have to much shitty clothes, Made In China, Made To Not Last. Time to build myself a quality wardrope.
It would be much easier and cheaper living in a place with only two weather seasons though.
Put on some flip flops, a pair of shorts, a funky Hawaii shirt and on your way to the beach :D. Maybe i'll be sipping rum and coke somewhere in the shade of a palm tree on my old days, wearing as little clothes as possible and getting a nice tan on my wrinckly ass. But until then, leather it is ;)

Just don't start looking at the watch sections here on TFL!!! Then it really will be all over! And there's no helping you after that. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters