Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First post & first hats

RockyR

New in Town
Dear Loungers

Long time lurking, first time posting.

After following many of your journeys, I've decided to purchase my first two 'grown up' hats. An Akubra Fed IV and Squatter.

By way of intro, I'm 35 yo, lawyer and really want to be a hat person... love them.

However, I have nerves (and I've read a few threads on here about people feeling self-conscious). It means that although I can enjoy looking at my new purchases, wearing them around the house (and looking I the mirror wondering if I can 'pull them off') wearing them outside of the confines of the house is yet to happen.

I'm very self-conscious and don't really dress up (preferring a t-shirt/polo, chinos, and RM Williams). Does anybody wear their hats (and feel comfortable) with this type of clothing? Would it be a faux pa?

I can wear a wig to court and not feel self-conscious (likely because I'm also wearing robes and have a profession that necessitates dress ups)... but not hats!...

Any hints, tips, tricks, and anecdotes about how you beat the nerves and your hat journeys would be welcome! The hats are working me, but I want to work the hats.

20240329_103905.jpg
20240329_103939.jpg
20240329_103954.jpg
20240329_104020.jpg
20240329_104226.jpg
20240329_104207.jpg
20240329_104148.jpg

Attachments

• 20240330_184347.jpg
    20240330_184347.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Mighty44

One Too Many
Dear Loungers

After following many of your journeys, I've decided to purchase my first two 'grown up' hats. An Akubra Fed IV and Squatter (the brim is now shaped similar to the Fed IV but wasn't at the time of the photo).

By way of intro, I'm 35 yo, lawyer and really want to be a hat person... love them.

However, I have nerves (and I've read a few threads on here about people feeling self-conscious). It means that although I can enjoy looking at my new purchases, wearing them around the house (and looking I the mirror wondering if I can 'pull them off') wearing them outside of the confines of the house is yet to happen.

I'm very self-conscious and don't really dress up (preferring a t-shirt/polo, chinos, and RM Williams). Does anybody wear their hats (and feel comfortable) with this type of clothing? Would it be a faux pa?

I can wear a wig to court and not feel self-conscious (likely because I'm also wearing robes and have a profession that necessitates dress ups)... but not hats!...

Any hints, tips, tricks, and anecdotes about how you beat the nerves and your hat journeys would be welcome! The hats are working me, but I want to work the hats.

View attachment 602879 View attachment 602880 View attachment 602881 View attachment 602882 View attachment 602883 View attachment 602884 View attachment 602885
Welcome! The hats look great—I never knew about the squatter.

The self-consciousness will go away the more you wear your hats. Absolutely they can be worn with anything. I tend to wear old beaters the more casual I get but really anything goes.

Enjoy!

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Nice hats! And welcome to the madness! :)
The key to success in your new hat-wearing life is this:
Put it on, adjust if to your preference in front of a mirror. Get it to look just how YOU like it. Then, walk out the door and forget that you are wearing it. It's that simple. Once you can do that, it will look and feel totally natural to you. Until then though, if you are going around all self conscious about itlike "heylookeveryonei'mwearingahat" , then the hat is wearing you.
It won't take long. I bet soon you'll be a regular in thr Post New Hats Here thread...

Who?

Practically Family
It is my suspicion that if you think you will look like a dork, you probably do.

I believe that feeling and attitude somehow projects, and others see/sense it.

The secret is to follow the advice above, and truly not give a happy rat‘s rse. Truth is, you’ll probably look rather dapper.

The first time someone says “Nice hat, mister.” will make your day.

Please report that here, when it happens.

(I’m assuming that, as an attorney, you dress professionally, in which case there is no better accessory than a good hat)

Last edited:
Dear Loungers

After following many of your journeys, I've decided to purchase my first two 'grown up' hats. An Akubra Fed IV and Squatter (the brim is now shaped similar to the Fed IV but wasn't at the time of the photo).

View attachment 602879 View attachment 602880 View attachment 602881 View attachment 602882 View attachment 602883 View attachment 602884 View attachment 602885
The only way through something is to go through it! Wear the hat, wear the hat, wear the hat.......if you do this, eventually, the hat will become second nature and you will feel not fully dressed if you go out without it on your head. I wear my fedoras with everything regardless. Yesterday I went to the pub wearing a hoodie and a homburg. My only consideration is wearing a hat colour that complements the colour of my clothing.

It is my suspicion that if you think you will look like a dork, you probably do.

The secret is to follow the advice above, and truly not give a happy rat‘s rse. Truth is, you’ll probably look rather dapper.

(I’m assuming that, as an attorney, you dress professionally, in which case there is no better accessory than a good hat)
I think the reality of feeling self conscious is that for the most part no one is paying attention to us, no one cares as they are too wrapped up in their own issues, their own world. The operative word in being 'self conscious' is the self. It largely takes place within the self's head.

Who?

Practically Family
I think the reality of feeling self conscious is that for the most part no one is paying attention to us, no one cares as they are too wrapped up in their own issues, their own world. The operative word in being 'self conscious' is the self. It largely takes place within the self's head.
An excellent point.

No one else is thinking about you as much as you are.

RockyR

New in Town
The only way through something is to go through it! Wear the hat, wear the hat, wear the hat.......if you do this, eventually, the hat will become second nature and you will feel not fully dressed if you go out without it on your head. I wear my fedoras with everything regardless. Yesterday I went to the pub wearing a hoodie and a homburg. My only consideration is wearing a hat colour that complements the colour of my clothing.
This has to be right... grit the teeth until you no longer need to. I suppose with a new hat it's similar to new boots... until they're broken in and worn they won't feel 'right', so just break them in.

RockyR

New in Town

Alas, I feel that as I get older I'm more inclined to dress for comfort rather than 'professionally' where I can avoid it

RockyR

New in Town
Welcome! The hats look great—I never knew about the squatter.

The self-consciousness will go away the more you wear your hats. Absolutely they can be worn with anything. I tend to wear old beaters the more casual I get but really anything goes.

Enjoy!
Thanks!

Yes, it's similar to the Akubra Campdraft and with an open crown. I asked for a cattleman bash for something different and really like it (they said as soon as they did it another customer saw it and wanted one too)

RockyR

New in Town
A rookie question, but what does everybody do with new hat tags... do you take them off or tuck them into the leather band? (I.e. the size label and care instructions etc)

LazarusNine

New in Town
A rookie question, but what does everybody do with new hat tags... do you take them off or tuck them into the leather band? (I.e. the size label and care instructions etc)

I typically keep labels in if they don’t hang outside the hat. This is especially true of the size label, but I don’t know if I’d keep the care instructions in. If you’re ever thinking of reselling the hats, I’d assume the more labels kept in, the better.

Regarding your first post, great hats! Both are really lovely and you can’t go wrong with the Fed IV. I’ve still got one from 2008, which I’m going to reblock soon, but it’s still going strong. Akubras are such robust hats. I’ve got a ‘Snowy River’ on the way soon. Enjoy wearing those!

If it’s any consolation, I’ve recently tried to become more of a ‘hat person’ as well. The self-conscious thing is real, and it’s made more intense by recent media narratives associating hats - and especially fedoras - with incels. My wife was worried that by wearing a hat out in public, people would immediately think I liked watching Alex Jones and Andrew Tate videos and expect me to go around doffing my cap saying, ‘m’lady’. Now, I can’t say definitively that people don’t think those things of me, because they’re unlikely to say it to my face, but my concerns around it have dwindled based on my continued positive interactions with friends and family. Two things have overcome the fear: 1) I’m not wearing cheap trilbies from H&M, and 2) I’m the same person in my hats as I am when not wearing them. As others have said, it’s really more in how you see yourself than how others see you. If you maintain decency, humility and your typical good character (assuming that’s all true for you!), people won’t expect you to be weird or a misogynist. Once you get over that hurdle, you can enjoy wearing your hats. I also find that changing up the style a bit and wearing different types of hats helps me overcome my inhibitions, as people won’t think I’m just cosplaying a fedora. Hope that helps!

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
I'm fairly new to adult hats as well. My normal brimmed hats are westerns and I don't get a second glace while wearing them other than the occasional dust cloud choking someone up. I started wearing a straw Panama and fedoras late 2022 and more last year and this year. I felt I got more looks than normal but it was all in my head. My dark brown Fed IV is currently my favorite hat.
I am looking to expand my collection. I got a compliment from a cute girl a bit younger than me so I feel that gave me a desire to wear proper hats more often.

I'm fairly new to adult hats as well. My normal brimmed hats are westerns and I don't get a second glace while wearing them other than the occasional dust cloud choking someone up. I started wearing a straw Panama and fedoras late 2022 and more last year and this year. I felt I got more looks than normal but it was all in my head. My dark brown Fed IV is currently my favorite hat.
I am looking to expand my collection. I got a compliment from a cute girl a bit younger than me so I feel that gave me a desire to wear proper hats more often.
I received a compliment from a cute younger woman.....I was thrilled until she went on to tell me I reminded her of her father. That killed the buzz quickly.

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
I received a compliment from a cute younger woman.....I was thrilled until she went on to tell me I reminded her of her father. That killed the buzz quickly.
Luckily that wasn't my experience. I'm still in my 30's and look young. She wanted to know where I got my Fed IV as she wanted to get one for her husband. That was a heartbreaker. She was my type in a retro-ish dress.

RockyR

New in Town
Thanks, Cuvier

Out of curiosity, what crease are you running on the Fed IV?

I have the typical crease but feel it's a lot of crown (although in reality it's likely not). I do feel more comfortable with a shorter crown in a cattleman (like I have on my squatter) and thinking of a cattleman on the Fed IV too (until I get comfortable wearing a hat perhaps)

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
What's the old saying? You know you are old when your presence with the opposite sex is more cute than threat!

Ps, if you want compliments, wear a bowler. I get compliments all the time from both men and women.

20231219_082941.jpg 20231222_152830.jpg

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Cuvier

Out of curiosity, what crease are you running on the Fed IV?

I have the typical crease but feel it's a lot of crown (although in reality it's likely not). I do feel more comfortable with a shorter crown in a cattleman (like I have on my squatter) and thinking of a cattleman on the Fed IV too (until I get comfortable wearing a hat perhaps)
I have a teardrop in mine. The pictures are of a dry bash I put in. I later tightened it up with some steam. I also steam fit it to my long oval noggin. It hovers about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch off my scalp.
IMG_20230407_091015501.jpg
IMG_20230407_091001851.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner