Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Post

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Just wanted to say hi.
This is my first post but I have been lurking in the shadows.

Planning a trip to Mexico and wanted a nice panama so I stopped at a little vintage clothing store that I have been passing every day for about a year now. Found a nice panama but it was too small. Bummer!

I did find two other felts. One is a tan Open Road. I've had a lot of hats in my day but I gotta tell ya, I'm in love. I think I'm an O.R. junky. I see more in my future.

Both could use a new sweat band so I'll get that done to my O.R. before the Mexico trip.

Been enjoying the info here.
Later.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Hey t
I'm not sure but it was small and I wear a 7 3/8.
I'm gonna guess by the way it fit that is was around a 7 ot smaller.
Too small for me to work with.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dear BigSleep (one of my favorite films, BTW!)
Examine that Panama closely; if it is vintage and a fine weave it could well be worth far more than what a thrift store may ask, and certainly something more to a smaller-headed Lounger. ;)

And a hearty and warm welcome to The Lounge!

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Woanzenagi said:
If I might inquire, what was the other felt that you found.

The other felt was a 2 1/4 inch brim, dark grey fedora.
Has a 1 5/8 inch grosgran ribbon.
It has no liner but a tag glued to the inside top of the crown. Was wondering if it might have been made during the war due to the fact of no liner.
The felt is thicker than my OpenRoad.
The brim is edged by folding the felt back onto itself on top and sewn with a double row of stitching. The felt that is doubled back is a full half inch in width which struck me as pretty wide for this type of edge. (Maybe not.)
The tag inside says Carrol & Co Beverly Hills. I looked it up on line and they are a fine mens store that is still in operation in Beverly Hills. (They still sell sock garters for men but no hats.)
It seems like a late fifties style hat to me. But I'm still pretty new to the vintage hat game so I could be wrong.

I intend to take both hats in for cleaning and blocking and new sweat bands.

Not bad for a grand total of 80 bucks for both hats.

I will post a pic or two if I can figure out how.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes