Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit Pic Techniques

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used to patronize watch forums, and there was an ongoing discussion of techniques for photographing watches (it is very difficult to do well). Photographing jackets is considerably easier. On the other hand, taking good fit pics can be a real challenge. It appears that members employ many different techniques for capturing fit pics. Some use legit cameras mounted on tripods with remote activation. On the other end of the spectrum, some use cell phone cameras pointed at mirrors. I generally use a cell phone and it’s built timer. I select my locations based on where I can place my cell phone high enough to shoot at a desirable height, and lean my cell phone against something so that it remains upright. That’s why the majority of my fit pics are in three consistent locations — bathroom, on counter, pointed at wall/door — kitchen counter — backyard, with phone on post mounted light switch. I set the timer, lean the camera upright, sprint to the designated location, and try my best not to look utterly ridiculous.

How do you execute fit pics? What techniques and strategies do you employ?

OldStrummer

Practically Family
I am the world's worst selfie-taker. If I'm serious about a fit pic (or just about anything, for that matter), I'll pull out my DSLR, tripod, and even backdrop material (which I'm just starting to use). I usually use a timer, because using a remote means I have to use a hand to activate the shutter.

That said, I recently bought a "selfie stick" (note to readers: they are not permitted in National Parks). They aren't as easy to use as I thought. Given that hat photos require something of a closeup, it's easier to use a selfie stick and a smartphone than all the studio equipment.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I used to patronize watch forums, and there was an ongoing discussion of techniques for photographing watches (it is very difficult to do well). Photographing jackets is considerably easier. On the other hand, taking good fit pics can be a real challenge. It appears that members employ many different techniques for capturing fit pics. Some use legit cameras mounted on tripods with remote activation. On the other end of the spectrum, some use cell phone cameras pointed at mirrors. I generally use a cell phone and it’s built timer. I select my locations based on where I can place my cell phone high enough to shoot at a desirable height, and lean my cell phone against something so that it remains upright. That’s why the majority of my fit pics are in three consistent locations — bathroom, on counter, pointed at wall/door — kitchen counter — backyard, with phone on post mounted light switch. I set the timer, lean the camera upright, sprint to the designated location, and try my best not to look utterly ridiculous.

How do you execute fit pics? What techniques and strategies do you employ?
Greetings Superfluous et al:
I do exactly the same as you described. The only down side is inside lighting. The flash doesn’t compensate for poor light level except for closeups, ie. about 3’ or less. Mine is an iPhone and quite frankly i’m very impressed with it’s capabilities.
Be well. Bowen

I use the phone or iPad as well. Primarily out of laziness. My wife has a really nice Canon but tbh I don't know how to use it nor do I wish to reduce the file size or host the images I wish to share. My images are pretty poor but I think I've figured out how to capture the fit. Camera should be at about chest level to give the best result. Angled upward or downward tends to distort reality.
I am impressed and admire the level of thought and clarity that goes into some folks images, particularly in the jacket o' the day thread. I'd like to shoot outdoors more but my neighbors are close by and already think I'm weird.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Auto-timer on the iphone mainly. But I usually end up deleting or cropping them because I always have this murderous glare for some reason when I do that. When the girlfriend snaps me, usually we have to go through 5-10 shots before finding a keeper. It’s rarely the jackets; usually it’s my ugly face that holds me back.

ProteinNerd

They are definitely harder to take than I thought, before I tried. Its not worth the eye rolls and comments from my wife if I ask her and I can never get decent lighting when I bother to pull out the tripod on my "good" camera so for me its quick dirty selfie in the elevator lift on the way outside hoping that nobody else calls the lift or nothing.....at least they are consistent ordinary lol

Dav

One Too Many
Thinking about it, two tips I would give are, 1 always try to be aware of the light, I find early morning low sunlight and winter sunshine the best and 2 don't be afraid to use auto enhance feature, if you have it.

dan_t

Practically Family
Definitely a DSLR on a solid tripod with remote shutter release.
Lighting is really important too. Avoid taking pics where there are shadows (for instance under a tree with dappled light).

Superfluous

I'd like to shoot outdoors more but my neighbors are close by and already think I'm weird.

I wait until my wife is not home, or in the shower, then quickly snap a few pics in my backyard.

Its not worth the eye rolls and comments from my wife if I ask her

I never ask my wife to take photos of me alone -- upon discovering the purpose, she would consider me even more insane then she already does. Occasionally, I use my dog as a pretext for a jacket photo taken by my wife -- "can you take a photo of Atticus . . . with me kneeling next to him?"

Every now and then, I wonder if my wife has somehow discovered that I post photos of myself on the internet wearing jackets, and she is graciously declining to reveal her knowledge (perhaps because she discovered my clandestine conduct through her own clandestine conduct).

Crappy timer selfies for the most part - always at the same spot because it's the only one where I can set up the cellphone at the right level - although I do occasionally ask my girlfriend to do it but then I always lie that I'm selling the jacket and someone asked to for a fit pics to determine whether it'd fit them. Or something along these lines.

She did however found out my dirty secret not long ago when her friend who found it incredibly amusing I'm on a "fashion forum", decided to track me down on TFL. Joan Jett would've successfully prevented them from id'ing me if I didn't have a few photos posted in the WJAYWT around that time, which were taken in her room which she immediately recognized despite the fact that I cropped out pretty much everything, and was later on furious with me that I posted 'em because apparently, her t-shirt was hanging over the doorknob so now "everyone in the world" thinks she's a "slob".

I take a lot more selfies than what I post but yeah, when I open the photos later on a computer, just the sight of my face makes me instantly delete them and cry my self to sleep in the corner...

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Here is my technique:

- Use a camera! I don't try to call people with my camera, i wouldn't take photographs with my phone.
- Learn how to use it. A huge number of pictures online are crap because no one knows what shutter speed, aperture and ISO are.
- Be aware of the light. A camera creates an image based on light, if there is no light, the camera can't do magic. If there is a lot of light, don't shoot into it.
- Be aware of your surroundings and what you frame! No one wants to see your dirty clothes on the floor or your splattered bathroom mirror.
- Use a stand (i use a Gorilla Pod). In most situation you will be indoors, you will not have enough light, meaning low shutter speeds, meaning GET A STAND. (if you don't understand this, read point 2 again)

From a purely technical point of view here is what i do.

- Put camera on the stand (chest height or a bit lower, avoid shooting down on things), aim it at the area i will stand in, frame and set it up so that i have at least 1/250s shutter speed at around f4 and a low ISO (400- 800)
- Pre-focus on an obvious spot so that i can stand in the area of focus and repeat the same shot every time. (In my example, i focused on the door handle, all i have to do after that is stand at that level and i will be in focus.)
- I use the 12s self timer to take the pictures, I always take the first picture of a set holding a neutral grey card in frame so that i can white balance the pictures when i edit and get accurate colour rendition. (if light condition changes, i take a new grey card picture)

Most importantly, DON'T USE A FLASH. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to use a flash properly, and a lot of gear. The sun is easier to use and is free.

This is the result:

(When in doubt, always go for the mysterious look...)

tby0M0e.jpg

The key is understanding what you can get from your current light conditions.
I could not get shots like this today, the light is crap, nothing i can do can change this. Photography is mostly about understanding the light and how you capture it. (And getting the mysterious stare right!)

Also, if you have a selfie stick, burn it!

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
a cellphone tripod, samsung mobilephone's camera with its 10s counter I placed the tripod ontop of a sink counter on my backyard facing a mirror, so I can roughly see the counter and if I stand far enough to capture a full body shot from the cellphone's screen reflection in the mirror, am I smart or what:D. BTW, I lure the cats with food and lock them up in the garage so they don't photobomb me first.

I am not high tech— and it shows. Phone selfie in mirror, sans my usual duckface.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
relax shoulders & breath easy
Learning how to 'pose' is extremely important. This isn't the place to post it, but I've seen some interesting photo montages showing how women in bikinis should and should not pose for Instagram photos; it's amazing how just getting your posture, angle, etc right can transform one's appearance in photos. It's something us 'regular folks' who aren't in showbiz don't realize.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I guess I am dumb because it never crossed my mind my phone even has an auto-timer. Just checked and ofcourse it does! A new era of jacket selfies begins!!<insane laughter>

Seriously though, I usually take the classic mirror selfie because it's the least time-consuming. I just grab my phone before I leave the apartment, snap a picture, upload it on my way to the bus and done. I'm never happy with how I look on pictures, so I don't bother with taking more than one or two and just upload them.

If I have more time, as for the jacket reviews I did on my Vanson America or Langlitz Cascade, I ask one of my brothers to take decent pictures.. my family knows about my jacket craziness and this forum, never bothered to hide it. My mum's no fan of most my jackets, thinks they are too heavy and stiff, but my brothers and father actually started wearing quality leather jackets too after i got involved with it.

breezer

Practically Family
Learning how to 'pose' is extremely important. This isn't the place to post it, but I've seen some interesting photo montages showing how women in bikinis should and should not pose for Instagram photos; it's amazing how just getting your posture, angle, etc right can transform one's appearance in photos. It's something us 'regular folks' who aren't in showbiz don't realize.

indeed - you see a lot of fit pics here where the subject looks like too stiff, as if tensing up. Here's my tip - lean on something, or hook your thumbs in you trouser pockets....drop the shoulders....

red devil

Same as several people here, I found the place to prop my phone for a picture. It's so much easier to take pictures of the jackets on their own :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo