Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Step one: Acetone and sand paper:
View attachment 411519
I didn’t care for this^ looked too much like a bruised banana. So I hit it with Fieblings cordovan. I learned a lot with this jacket. Sandpaper was absolutely not necessary. Just strip it with Acetone, embrace the loss of brain cells and move to the dye. Dilute the dye WAY down with rubbing alcohol. One little jar of dye could probably yield a dozen jackets.
Obviously an amateur talking here... but I can't stop looking at this picture. It's not the color/look of the next jacket I'm aiming for, but even though you consider it "bruised banana" (lol), I really think it looks... great, to say the least. I know it's not what you wanted though, that's clear to me. Speaking strictly from personal taste. Perhaps "too bruised", but still great, IMO.

Obviously an amateur talking here... but I can't stop looking at this picture. It's not the color/look of the next jacket I'm aiming for, but even though you consider it "bruised banana" (lol), I really think it looks... great, to say the least. I know it's not what you wanted though, that's clear to me. Speaking strictly from personal taste. Perhaps "too bruised", but still great, IMO.
I think I would’ve kept it this way if I were able to reduce the contrast between light and dark even further. But I have it all I had and that was as far as I could take it!

The ultimate takeaway is that Shawn’s leathers are tough as nails and you can always color correct to taste.

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
How much sqft do you have to send to 5 star for jacket? Is it actually 50 sqft ?

What if the hides are 1st runs, with no belmishes ?

I'm trying to decide between Cidu and 5 star. Cidu has La brentega bull hide some orange Italian horse hides from tannery that I can't recall on top of my head.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Solid brass cinch buckles from Shawn
41ADF31A-EBFD-44B2-B650-2A2186BFA19D.jpeg

ojaw

A-List Customer
WOW, what a fantastic resource!
They’re not cheap but I’ve been happy with the belt fixings et cetera I got for an erstwhile hobby that dried up when I realized, after friends and family, the only way to keep selling belts would be too much mental work with websites or etsy stores or whatever.

KBlake

One Too Many
They’re not cheap but I’ve been happy with the belt fixings et cetera I got for an erstwhile hobby that dried up when I realized, after friends and family, the only way to keep selling belts would be too much mental work with websites or etsy stores or whatever.
I have these coming to me tomorrow

Attachments

• F32F889B-6AC9-41DD-9115-45CDEF280C40.png
    F32F889B-6AC9-41DD-9115-45CDEF280C40.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 55

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Tandy Leather is not fancy but very good value. There are Japanese expensive hardware, I have to dig up the link, it was like 20 times the price so I didn't keep.

KBlake

One Too Many
Slightly more modern than what Abbey specializes in, looks quality though.
I prefer polished, unaged brass to start.
The Abbey options were really nice but they have a $25 minimum and that's like 14 buckles and I only need 2. Then considering shipping across the pond I figured I'd just get what I could on Amazon.

ojaw

A-List Customer
The Abbey options were really nice but they have a $25 minimum and that's like 14 buckles and I only need 2. Then considering shipping across the pond I figured I'd just get what I could on Amazon.
Yeah I don’t do amazon but I get it.

Zoo

One of the Regulars
It seems like a couple of people here have Five* Irvins. Did anyone get a Coastal Command version yet?

Thoughts on the jackets please?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It seems like a couple of people here have Five* Irvins. Did anyone get a Coastal Command version yet?

Thoughts on the jackets please?
I have the basic Irvin. Only if I read your post before I bought it, then I would've gone with the hoodie route. I'd use a thinner fur on the hoodie though to keep the bulk down. The 22mm Irvin is soft and curly but imo would be too bulky for the hoodie.

Reactions: Zoo

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have the basic Irvin. Only if I read your post before I bought it, then I would've gone with the hoodie route. I'd use a thinner fur on the hoodie though to keep the bulk down. The 22mm Irvin is soft and curly but imo would be too bulky for the hoodie.

Has Shawn had a chance to study an original hooded Irvin yet?

With this new waterproof black horsehide around, I hope someone orders the Two Star cross-zip in that. Especially if it was patterned on an original, that would make it the budget cross-zip to beat, IMO.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Anyone have a picture or two of this steerhide distressed brown hide (circled in red) looks worn on a person?...

09vjVj4.png

I'm already aware of how seal brown "custom distressed" looks, but not this particular brown pre-distressed version. Would appreciate it greatly if someone has any pictures. If not, I'll just ask Shawn if he has any examples.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred