Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good quality but affordable first leather jacket

Mike_27

New in Town
Hi all, I’m looking to purchase my first leather jacket and stumbled on this forum when trying to find more info on certain manufacturers. I’ve found all the conversations to be very informative, although the amount of new information is a bit overwhelming. So I thought that I should post my own question here.

I’m searching for a good quality jacket that would also be fairly affordable (around 500-600 €/$). I’ve read lots of good things about aero, but their prices are a bit out of my budget after taxes and other fees. I’ve also been looking at some jackets from five star leather, but since I’m getting my first jacket, I don’t like the idea of taking a gamble with the pattern and measurements. What would be some good manufacturers that make jackets priced somewhere between aero and 5*?

I live in europe, so ordering from the US is quite expensive as there are around 30% of taxes and duties added to the price of the jacket. For this reason, I would prefer buying the jacket from a EU country so I could avoid this issue but it’s still an option to buy from the US if the price is reasonable.

Thanks in advance!

Mike_27

New in Town
Vanson is my pick within that price range. They fit very nicely
Vanson jackets look good, but unfortunately they are a bit too expensive here in europe. Their jackets cost around 1200 € at their european retailers and the price would be similar after ordering directly from them.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I’m primarily looking at jackets similar to the aero highwayman and shangri-la varenne, both of which are a bit too pricey for me. But I’ve also been looking at some A-2 and anj-3 models
They show up on Vinted from time to time

IMG_6696.jpeg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m primarily looking at jackets similar to the aero highwayman and shangri-la varenne, both of which are a bit too pricey for me. But I’ve also been looking at some A-2 and anj-3 models
Regarding A-2, it might be worthwhile to look at 5*.
There are some models that were copied from an original template.
If standard sizes fit you, I would definitely consider them.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Your price range seems to be more or less bang-on what a lightly used Aero would cost in the Classifieds here. Vanson would even be USD 100 less, I guess.

That would be my first choice. Even if buying from a seller in the US or Canada, the upcharge would "only" be 19% VAT plus 2% import, so you don´t go up to 30%. If the seller forgets to declare the actual value, you may even get around that alltogether.

What size are you?

Mike_27

New in Town
Your price range seems to be more or less bang-on what a lightly used Aero would cost in the Classifieds here. Vanson would even be USD 100 less, I guess.

That would be my first choice. Even if buying from a seller in the US or Canada, the upcharge would "only" be 19% VAT plus 2% import, so you don´t go up to 30%. If the seller forgets to declare the actual value, you may even get around that alltogether.

What size are you?
I’ve been looking at some used Aeros but haven’t yet found any in my size for a decent price. I’m size 42, maybe 40 in a highwayman.

In Finland the VAT is 24% and import is 4%, which sucks.

Mike_27

New in Town
Regarding A-2, it might be worthwhile to look at 5*.
There are some models that were copied from an original template.
If standard sizes fit you, I would definitely consider them.
Their prices are very tempting and I’ve been thinking about getting an A-2 or an anj-3 from them with some slight modifications. I’m just s bit unsure about the leathers they use, as they seem to be a bit hit or miss.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I’ve been looking at some used Aeros but haven’t yet found any in my size for a decent price. I’m size 42, maybe 40 in a highwayman.

In Finland the VAT is 24% and import is 4%, which sucks.

Git it. Yeah, that´s steep. Finland being in the EU I would have thought the same import rates apply, but VAT is a different story...

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
There is a Vanson Enfield in size 42 in the Clássifieds at the moment. The price is great, IMO. The Enfield runs large (but so does the HWM).

I include a picture of mine, so that you can see what to expect. FYI: I am also a 42 in most Aero styles. I could probably sqeeze into a size 40 Enfield.

Van_En_1.jpg
Van_En_2.jpg

Mike_27

New in Town
There is a Vanson Enfield in size 42 in the Clássifieds at the moment. The price is great, IMO. The Enfield runs large (but so does the HWM).

I include a picture of mine, so that you can see what to expect. FYI: I am also a 42 in most Aero styles. I could probably sqeeze into a size 40 Enfield.

View attachment 538521 View attachment 538522
That is a great looking jacket. I checked out that enfield and it was a good price, but it was a bit too worn for what I’m looking for and I’d prefer it in brown. Ideally I’d like to be able to pick a colour and hide that I like and also be sure about the fit but with my fairly limited budget that seems difficult.

Mike_27

New in Town
It seems that many of these suggestions are pre-owned jackets from aero and other more premium brands. That is great and those jackets look very good, but I just prefer the relative ease of being able to buy something new.

Are there not any other entry-level brands that offer great quality at prices that are a bit lower?

nattevagten

A-List Customer
No good options in mainland Europe. Excluding second hand, the cheapest option would probably be Simmons Bilt (their leather jackets start at £575). Another option would be to wait for an Aero sale, but it might take a while until it happens again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner