Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

As you all say, at first glance they seem fine. Too heavy for my taste, and they were huge on me so I can’t speak to fit. I’m glad that I’ve resisted the urge, but I believe they can make a decent jacket if given a pattern to copy. The leather lacked any “magic”, but they seemed better than the Wilson’s and Gap jackets they hung with. I also found a Wested jacket at another Thrift store in town…not really impressed either.

As you all say, at first glance they seem fine. Too heavy for my taste, and they were huge on me so I can’t speak to fit. I’m glad that I’ve resisted the urge, but I believe they can make a decent jacket if given a pattern to copy. The leather lacked any “magic”, but they seemed better than the Wilson’s and Gap jackets they hung with. I also found a Wested jacket at another Thrift store in town…not really impressed either.
Yeah wested uses purse leather too. Very similar tier.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I was a young man I traded a genuine earlier G-1 + cash to a local ‘retro’ shop in exchange for their ‘tailor’ making me an Irvin (showed me some nice leather baseball jackets allegedly made by same). Many months went by & then the big day arrived & they rolled out this rug! With my heart in my boots I tried it on and looked more like a caveman than a pilot. Put that on consignment with them & eventually got some money back.

unhatted

One of the Regulars
Have just been sent QC images. I have to admit that despite being very happy with a previous jacket, the recent commentary on here (particularly @PilotJens experience) has had me second guessing the decision. But this looks like what I had expected with no tape manipulation. The lining is maybe a little billowy but other than that it looks good to my eyes. Am I missing anything before I approve? Obviously I have no way of knowing if the goatskin is minimum 1.2mm as requested!
IMG_6959.jpeg
IMG_6960.jpeg
IMG_6961.jpeg
IMG_6962.jpeg
IMG_6963.jpeg
IMG_6964.jpeg
IMG_6965.jpeg
IMG_6966.jpeg

MrProper

Have just been sent QC images. I have to admit that despite being very happy with a previous jacket, the recent commentary on here (particularly @PilotJens experience) has had me second guessing the decision. But this looks like what I had expected with no tape manipulation. The lining is maybe a little billowy but other than that it looks good to my eyes. Am I missing anything before I approve? Obviously I have no way of knowing if the goatskin is minimum 1.2mm as requested! View attachment 596622 View attachment 596623 View attachment 596624 View attachment 596625 View attachment 596626 View attachment 596627 View attachment 596628 View attachment 596629
The P2P and waist measurements will probably not be correct. The jacket is not fully spread out.

unhatted

One of the Regulars
The P2P and waist measurements will probably not be correct. The jacket is not fully spread out.
Thanks and good spot! I actually specced this a little snug as my previous order was a cm or so bigger in all measurements so not necessarily an issue for it to be a little bigger—smaller and I’m in trouble…

unhatted

One of the Regulars
More concerned about the lack of belt loops because I said I didn’t need the belt itself. But I did want the loops—probably my bad for not specifying more than theirs! Not sure whether to leave it now it’s finished…

unhatted

One of the Regulars
have them add the loops! Quick, before they send.
Asked them. Also want to see it with laces tighter. I specced it to keep the chest to waist ratio the same but it looks like the front and back panels are different—like the front will curve too far round the back if cinched?

unhatted

One of the Regulars
IMG_6967.jpeg
IMG_6966.jpeg
To me it looks a little like the ratio of front to back panel has been messed with. It could be a difference in the pictures but I want to check so will request panel measurements. Any thoughts from those with this jacket in other sizes @Bahabp100 & @Canuck Panda ?

Also, would a competent pattern grading involve reducing the height of the kidney panel to keep dimensions similar or no? I guess my kidneys may be the same size as a larger person…

MrProper

View attachment 596653 View attachment 596654 To me it looks a little like the ratio of front to back panel has been messed with. It could be a difference in the pictures but I want to check so will request panel measurements. Any thoughts from those with this jacket in other sizes @Bahabp100 & @Canuck Panda ?

Also, would a competent pattern grading involve reducing the height of the kidney panel to keep dimensions similar or no? I guess my kidneys may be the same size as a larger person…

The pictures look very much as if you will be wearing the lacing on your back. If you prefer to have it on the side, it will hardly work with this pattern. You can see that quite clearly in the one picture.

Edit: Marc was faster

unhatted

One of the Regulars
IMG_6972.jpeg
IMG_6973.jpeg
IMG_6976.jpeg
Thanks @Marc mndt and @MrProper !

I guess my question is whether the back laces issue is a problem with their pattern grading or simply a byproduct of being a size 36!

Comparing their images to a (later model) Cal 36 (which I wish I had!), the location of the laces and proportions seem similar. This thread has me primed to assume the worst about their workmanship so my first thought was that they had messed it up, but I’m also wondering if this is just how the pattern looks in this sort of size?

unhatted

One of the Regulars
I think it's just because it's so small.
So am I! Yeah I thought the proportions looked off in comparison to the original but actually it looks like they’ve graded the pattern in line with what Cal do. Note the pocket placement, which is very different to the original but quite close to the 36 Cal. I should also say I’m very unlikely to be wearing it fully cinched!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW