Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

KBlake

One Too Many
As they say, ignorance is bliss. Thoroughly enjoying this 5* as I don’t know any better!
IMG_4290.jpeg

KBlake

One Too Many
I watched a Langlitz Columbia Leather jacket AND leather pants go today on ebay for under $400...and some may say "but I like the custom fit" but if the leather is mall leather jacket quality you've got a serious disconnect. You're being fooled into thinking you're "having it all" when you're actually caught in a losing compromise, where BOTH aspects are falling short...with the final hammer blow being PRICE. Youch.
To say 5* horsehide is mall quality is just inaccurate.
What was the exact leather spec on this?
Thickest Pull-up horsehide is what I asked for.

To call this mall quality leather is absurd. I may not have handled Shinki but I’ve been to the mall and you won’t find anything like this there.

MadCat

Familiar Face

To call this mall quality leather is absurd. I may not have handled Shinki but I’ve been to the mall and you won’t find anything like this there.
I agree. I was just at the mall looking at some leather jackets…complete trash compared to 5star.

Bluechel

Practically Family

No one, certainly not me, is calling YOUR leather mall quality. Please read the conversation within the context of the last 25 pages, where no one mentioned your jacket or its leather as being mall jacket quality. All of us who have ordered and paid for and received their own jackets will remain free to comment on the thickness and quality of their own jackets though, no?

Bluechel

Practically Family
I assume you paid the extra $100 for the horsehide? Or more? I'm not here to trash 5*, none of us in this long conversation are. In fact, my own quote above was posed as an "if". See above. But as far as everyone's independent opinion AND personal perception, it's all relevant and equally weighted here in a forum for discussion.

I'm starting to like my recent purchase myself as I wear it around my shop and try to "break it in" (in this case try to take the newness off). But if it was anywhere near, anywhere close, anywhere in the ballpark...close to the thickness of any of my (insert large number here) other leather jackets I'd be happy as an effing clam. Again, one additional 5* customer's feedback. We are here to learn and share and in some cases commiserate within this community, that is important.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I assume you paid the extra $100 for the horsehide? Or more? I'm not here to trash 5*, none of us in this long conversation are. In fact, my own quote above was posed as an "if". See above. But as far as everyone's independent opinion AND personal perception, it's all relevant and equally weighted here in a forum for discussion.

I'm starting to like my recent purchase myself as I wear it around my shop and try to "break it in" (in this case try to take the newness off). But if it was anywhere near, anywhere close, anywhere in the ballpark...close to the thickness of any of my (insert large number here) other leather jackets I'd be happy as an effing clam. Again, one additional 5* customer's feedback. We are here to learn and share and in some cases commiserate within this community, that is important.
Have we seen a photo of your jacket yet? If not, I think we're all curious ;-)

Eddiesuave

Familiar Face
Just my two cents, but I see a lot of us having some what of a shopping addiction and MAYBE a little OCD (Myself included). Yes a lot of us can be called leather jacket enthusiast, collectors and sellers. But if you’re buying a leather jacket for $180-$2,500 and become unsatisfied with your purchase after your buying euphoria dissipates, then I don’t think that’s Five Star Leather’s fault. I think the most important part here is your intentions with your purchase: Are you buying a leather jacket to wear it or to look at it? If you want to wear a leather jacket Five Star Leather is a great option, but you want to look at a leather jacket you’ll find prettier options at higher price points.

KBlake

One Too Many
No one, certainly not me, is calling YOUR leather mall quality. Please read the conversation within the context of the last 25 pages, where no one mentioned your jacket or its leather as being mall jacket quality. All of us who have ordered and paid for and received their own jackets will remain free to comment on the thickness and quality of their own jackets though, no?

I’ve found it’s important to ask for thickest horsehide when ordering, otherwise you might get a very thin hide.

The jacket I posted above is so thick that I would not want anything thicker and I have no desire for a “superior” jacket. I may be ignorant when it comes to high end jackets but in this case ignorance is bliss.

I’ve found it’s important to ask for thickest horsehide when ordering, otherwise you might get a very thin hide.

The jacket I posted above is so thick that I would not want anything thicker and I have no desire for a “superior” jacket. I may be ignorant when it comes to high end jackets but in this case ignorance is bliss.
I think your bliss would likely fade dramatically if you did opt for a higher end made to order jacket. This isn't to say there is anything wrong with the 5 Star(s) you have but you would then realize where the limitations of what 5 Star can do lies. I know for me personally, the jackets always had a cost savings feel. Inconsistent weight, especially the HH, hardware, liners...not bad but certainly "cost effective". I never had the feeling with any of the more discussed makers here.

I think this is precisely why 5 Star is a success. They aren't trying to compete... But they also simply aren't as good.

KBlake

One Too Many
I think your bliss would likely fade dramatically if you did opt for a higher end made to order jacket. This isn't to say there is anything wrong with the 5 Star(s) you have but you would then realize where the limitations of what 5 Star can do lies. I know for me personally, the jackets always had a cost savings feel. Inconsistent weight, especially the HH, hardware, liners...not bad but certainly "cost effective". I never had the feeling with any of the more discussed makers here.

I think this is precisely why 5 Star is a success. They aren't trying to compete... But they also simply aren't as good.
That’s fair. Out of curiosity, how do you now feel about your wool 5*? Just a month ago you were singing its praises.

cbez

One Too Many

What's the point of comparing tho? Would you go to someone who just bought a Yaris and be like well actually if you bought an S class...

What's the point of comparing tho? Would you go to someone who just bought a Yaris and be like well actually if you bought an S class...
The comparison is valid b/c:
1. 5 star has increased their prices enough to justify the comparison
2. The assumption that the jackets are "just as good" as x,y,z brand as long as the buyer does the right thing in terms of spec.

If I ran into someone who bought a Yaris I would not ask them why they didn't buy a Mercedes, I would ask them WTF they bought the Yaris for.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou