Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Stars Leathers: remake of a 30's "Aviator's" style Jacket

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey guys,
I just received the jacket, just 2 days after shipping! DHL
Along with the original jacket.

Here the fit picts, I just let them talk.

View attachment 535300 View attachment 535301 View attachment 535302 View attachment 535303 View attachment 535304 View attachment 535305 View attachment 535306 View attachment 535307

View attachment 535308

Even if I don’t look like it, I’m VERY pleased with the results!
The hide is a tea core thick HH,
The pattern is very comfortable without being boxy, the length is exactly what I expected and the stitching and details are great!
(I love the buttons)

What I would change if I had to do it again, on this jacket: lower the pockets by 1 inch.

Wonderful job by Five Stars, maybe other remakes to follow?

What do you think?
Just great.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Hey guys,

View attachment 535300 View attachment 535301 View attachment 535302 View attachment 535303 View attachment 535304 View attachment 535305 View attachment 535306 View attachment 535307

View attachment 535308

The pattern is very comfortable without being boxy, the length is exactly what I expected and the stitching and details are great!
(I love the buttons)

What I would change if I had to do it again, on this jacket: lower the pockets by 1 inch.

What do you think?
Great looking jacket, I wouldn't change a thing! I like how the pockets are set and sleeve length is a personal preference. 5* did a great job here.

Wouldn’t change a thing either. Superb result. This looks superb! Sleeve seam aligns perfectly with the back yoke and the sleeves themselves have a nice natural drape.
I’m tempted to order one of these myself.

jeo

One Too Many
Hey guys,

View attachment 535308

(I love the buttons)

What do you think?

Why wouldn’t you like it, the pockets? Could be lower but it doesn’t look off. Overall the jacket looks and fits great. They captured the shape of the collar beautifully.

Mysteryo

One Too Many
Why wouldn’t you like it, the pockets? Could be lower but it doesn’t look off. Overall the jacket looks and fits great. They captured the shape of the collar beautifully.
Pockets would be easier to reach if a bit lower. But tht's no big deal.
They obviously did a great job!

Reactions: jeo

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
Sleeves look a tad long and a bit "stovepipey". Quite similar in that regard to my Ralph Lauren Aviator, so I'm inclined to think this is a feature for mobility rather than a flaw in design. The silhouette looks really great:)

Mysteryo

One Too Many
Jacket zipped up, upon request

IMG_2210.jpeg
IMG_2202.jpeg

@Mysteryo, congratulations on your beautiful jacket!
Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the accuracy of 5* re-creation? Specifically the front drop and point. I have always felt that they miss out on curves and points (in favor of straight hems). Your original looks a lot like my Ralphs-Pugh, with a beautiful curve to the front hem and aligned flap. Does 5* faithfully do this?

Mysteryo

One Too Many
@Mysteryo, congratulations on your beautiful jacket!
Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the accuracy of 5* re-creation? Specifically the front drop and point. I have always felt that they miss out on curves and points (in favor of straight hems). Your original looks a lot like my Ralphs-Pugh, with a beautiful curve to the front hem and aligned flap. Does 5* faithfully do this?
They replicated the original pattern very faithfully, no doubt about it.
Do you have picts of your Ralph Pugh?

Here’s the bottom of the original and repro.

Attachments

• IMG_2224.jpeg
    IMG_2224.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2223.jpeg
    IMG_2223.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 82

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
About the sleeve length, that on me I didn’t specify I wanted them shorten, and so they replicated the measures of the original (that was already a tad too long).
But this thicker leather might shrink a bit with use…
I actually soaked the sleeves on my J-24 copy from 5* from the elbow down in the hottest possible tapwater I could run. Slimmed them down noticably. This was their steerhide though. Left the leather stiffer but with no loss in color.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Oh my, it looks fantastic fully zipped up!
Now I'm even more convinced that the fit is stellar.
I also think that the sleeves will crease and shorten.
From how the cuffs move up along your arm when you straighten your arms I think that the sleeve length is spot on. Would ride up too much if they were shorter.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I think it’s perfect. I agree with Tartuwolf about the sleeves, if they were shorter they’d ride up a lot more when you reach forward. Perfect length. As long as your doing fit pics, how about one with the sleeves buttoned to the tighter button? That would keep them off your hands, and snug them down a bit more. They’ll definitely shorten a little with creasing. This is just a stellar jacket, and your post has put 5* on the map for me. Congrats on a great jacket!
Oh! And the pockets! I like them where they are too, because you they are high enough that having keys and a wallet in there, they won’t bind up when you’re seated.
The only slight nit pick is forearm width, but whatever, it means you can layer a nice sweater if you want.
Just an awesome repro if you ask me.

I'm adding an edit, after looking at the back, and the sleeves, I would think about deleting the middle gusset and putting two in where the darts are currently located.
AE149B19-AA32-4830-A9DD-CCFB55D3F463.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner