Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five that are Seriously Overrated...

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Ooh, some of these listed I would debate, but that isn't the point that's being made with the thread!

My pet irritations with "great" films?

--The Matrix. Really? Neo is the One? I'd have never guessed.
--West Side Story. I don't like the music, the colors, the acting...no thanks.
--Rebecca. Olivier is not one of the world's greatest thespians, and he couldn't melt an ice cube. And Joan Fontaine is nutty.
--American Graffitti. Slow. Boring. *snore*
--Funny Face. I admit it--I don't like Fred Astaire (smarmy), and I think Audrey Hepburn is wooden.

We should start a thread on most underrated films...much more positive!

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Don't hurt me....

(1) The Sound of Music
(2) Close Encounters of the Third Kind
(3) Mr. and Mrs. Smith
(4) I haven't seen it but my literary roots want to kick and scream @ "Beowulf"
(5)
I think Audrey Hepburn is wooden.

I actually kind of agree with this. I like more down-to-earth women actors. Give me Maureen O'Hara who has some fire any day over Hepburn.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Indeed, I'm no fan of her either...great actor, incredibly beautiful, but way, way, way overrated. Held up as an icon as much as Carey Grant is, and I feel the same about him. Both great, but not the flawless supernatural icons people seem to so often make them.

zaika

One Too Many
Gone With The Wind. I tried to like it...but GWTW and I just don't see eye to eye.

Knocked Up. I didn't get it. The men were rude and disgusting. And the women were vapid and incredibly irritating. I felt bad for Paul Rudd and the baby at the end. And I laughed maybe once...at what...[huh] dunno.

Citizen Kane. It bored me to tears. Sorry.

Titanic. Aside from the amazing detail in the beautiful costumes and props...*yawn*

The Godfather movies. I tried...really...

And someone earlier wondered if Lauren Bacall should have ever been in the movies at all. I wonder the same thing. I never liked her...and the only reason I can watch her at all is because of Bogie.

Feraud

Bartender
zaika said:
Knocked Up. I didn't get it. The men were rude and disgusting. And the women were vapid and incredibly irritating. I felt bad for Paul Rudd and the baby at the end. And I laughed maybe once...at what...[huh] dunno.
Overrated?? :)

zaika

One Too Many
thebadmamajama said:
Don't hurt me....

(1) The Sound of Music
(2) Close Encounters of the Third Kind
(3) Mr. and Mrs. Smith
(4) I haven't seen it but my literary roots want to kick and scream @ "Beowulf"
(5)

I actually kind of agree with this. I like more down-to-earth women actors. Give me Maureen O'Hara who has some fire any day over Hepburn.

I'm only going to hurt you a little over "The Sound of Music." But because you mentioned Ms. O'Hara as superior to Hepburn, I'll go easy. ;) :p lol

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In TV*

The Sopranos
Reality TV
House
Original Star Trek (as I duck behind my chair)

* please note; some of these shows have some amazing things happening in them, but I think they have gone overboard in their impact on, well everything

Underrated

Roots
Shelley Duvall's Fairy Tale Theater
Danger Mouse
Tales From The Crypt
Jericho

Edward

Bartender
thebadmamajama said:
Don't hurt me....

(1) The Sound of Music

Call me a bad person if you will, but those ghastly children and their sacharine nanny quite frankly had me rooting for the Nazis. :eek:

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
I don't know if these are the most overrated, but they all make me furrow my brow in an unsightly way:
1. The Wizard of Oz (Whatever magic this movie has, I'm immune. Ducking behind couch...)
2. Sideways (one long whine. Made me itchy to smack someone.)
3. Little Miss Sunshine (hand me my official curmudgeon badge)
4. Blair Witch Project (snore)
5. Shakespeare in Love. Which I actually loved, BTW. But winning Best Picture over Saving Private Ryan? I'm still reeling!

Two I can think of off-hand that are seriously underrated:
1. Marty
2. In America

And, Lady Day, I'm with you on Tales of the Crypt. LOVED it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy