Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FIX A TOP HAT BRIM?

filfoster

One Too Many
Am I right to suppose that it is unwise to use steam to restore the 'curl' to a top hat brim that has gone flat? I imagine that the steam will fatally weaken the shellacked buckram or pasteboard brim 'core' within, and/or weaken the glue that holds the silk plush to the brim? Has anyone tried this?

Which leads to the question: How do you restore the curl?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I've fixed the brims of Derbies with a combination of a tiny bit of steam and some denatured alcohol to reset the shellac. Worked with no problems. If the brim problem is severe, it should probably be reset with a brim shackle, which is how it is curled from the factory. That requires a qualified hatter, but I think if you're careful, you can probably do it by hand and have it turn out okay.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
filfoster said:
Brad: Thanks! I will try this. The flattening is not severe and just needs a little adjustment. I will use the steam sparingly and the alcohol liberally.

Just make sure it's denatured alcohol, and use it sparingly, too.

Brad

filfoster

One Too Many
Mr. Lucky

I just finished following Brad Bower's advice with the denatured alchohol (why so expensive? $9 a bottle?) and steam to fix the vintage Christy's of London topper. I was as nervous as a plastic surgeon working on a mob boss's girlfriend.
I had to use a lot of alchohol (on the hat) to soften the 70+ year old shellac. It had to 'sit' for about 5 minutes before I could feel some flex. I applied it with a very soft artist's dust brush or watercolor feathering brush (about 1" wide, very light bristles but dense). I applied it on both sides of the brim-three times. I found that using my hands to gradually flex the brim back to a slight curl was best done while actually wearing it. The steam was horrible and gave me terrible, disfiguring scalds. Just kidding on that last.
The hat is 'resting' now and I am desperately hoping as it cools that the shellac will re-solidify and become stiff again. I will post more later. If I do not, you will know that I reacted very, very severely to the loss of this hat.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
You're welcome, filfoster!

Working on hats can be daunting at first, but it's worth the effort to bring these vintage jewels back to life. I don't guess we'll see before and after photos, will we?

Brad

filfoster

One Too Many
Photos

Brad Bowers said:
You're welcome, filfoster!

Working on hats can be daunting at first, but it's worth the effort to bring these vintage jewels back to life. I don't guess we'll see before and after photos, will we?

Brad

I might manage an 'after' photo when my younger daughter is home on Christmas Break (sophomore at Univ of South Carolina-'fighting roosters' as we say in our house). She requires a new digital camera for her Kappa Delta 'historian' job-a flimsy dodge for a new camera, if you ask me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda