Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fixes for a torn sweatband?

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
Since I was asked, and also because I recently received a Whippet with a slightly chewed up sweat...

Has anyone come up with ways of repairing a torn or chewed up sweatband short of replacing.

Personally I'm okay with my use of clear tape over the edge, but I'm pretty sure that there must be better ideas out there, and I'm pretty sure a bunch of folks would like to know anyways.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Thanks for posting this Marcus. I'm eager to see what our experts say.

A lot of us stretch our hats and occasionally we get too heavy handed and pop the sweat. It would be good to have a back-up plan if this happens. (Incidentally, the best insurance against this happening is to slather-on lots of Lexol on both sides of the sweat.)

I rendered a quick fix to one torn sweat with a strip of duct tape on the back (rough) side of the sweat. From the standpoint of appearance, the tear was virtually invisible, looking at it from the inside. But then I gave the hat away and I haven't heard if the method held up in use.

If I were to try this again, I think I would do a more professional job by using some very thin glove leather attached to the back of the sweat with leather adhesive, in place of the duct tape.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Wolfmanjack said:
I rendered a quick fix to one torn sweat with a strip of duct tape on the back (rough) side of the sweat. From the standpoint of appearance, the tear was virtually invisible, looking at it from the inside. But then I gave the hat away and I haven't heard if the method held up in use.

If I were to try this again, I think I would do a more professional job by using some very thin glove leather attached to the back of the sweat with leather adhesive, in place of the duct tape.

I usually do one of two things: (1) Wear it as is, if it's still comfortable, and be careful not to let anybody see inside the hat. (2) If it's not comfortable, replace the sweatband. :)

I've never tried to fix a tear, but it sounds like you are on the right track.
There are definite advantages to a repair. Let us know, if you do any long range tests.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am dealing primarily in theory here, but I think the suggestion of seriously conditioning the leather would be step number one. You want to make it as supple as possible. Then you need somehow to arrest the tear(s) itself. Tape is obviously one solution. I wonder if some well placed clear fingernail polish might also work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic