Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FL Cult Films

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
This place among qualified experts into old movies,seem to be the right place to ask about an american film...only saw it on television, and remember it to be in black and white.
Mel brooks made a version of the original, called: springtime for Hitler, but the original I found even more fun and exiting.
Any idea what it was ? must have been made during the sixties I guess

You must be thinking of "The Producers". Originally a Mel Brooks movie of 1968 . Recently (2005) it was remade.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
In the vintage WWII category my first would be "12 O' Clock High" made in 1949 when original era uniforms were still available. The movie trys to help americans understand in reverse history how low morale actually was overseas and what airman in certain theatres endured.

My wife tells me that when she attended the SAC NCO Academy in 1990 they showed "12 O'Clock High" as a lesson in leadership styles and effectiveness. They didn't show it at the TAC NCOA I attended, but I was already very familiar with it. I first read the book in junior high, and had watched it every chance I got once I found out it had been made into a movie. Still a favorite!

Regards,
Tom

DesertDan

One Too Many
Another Lounge favorite is Soylent Green
What's not to love! :D

Years ago I worked a warehouse for a landscape products company, one of the regular customers we'd ship to was call Soylent Green Landscaping. I always wondered what was really in their fertilizer. :D

alsendk

A-List Customer
You must be thinking of "The Producers". Originally a Mel Brooks movie of 1968 . Recently (2005) it was remade.

No Stanley, there was a movie before this with a director, originally coming from one of the baltic countries, but living in US and made the film there, to my vague memory, but the plot was the same,and Mel Brooks adapted the story, and transformed it into british humour, but the originally one was better in my opinion.
I am getting frustrated about not being able to remember his name anymore.

Rathdown

Practically Family
This place among qualified experts into old movies,seem to be the right place to ask about an american film...only saw it on television, and remember it to be in black and white.
Mel brooks made a version of the original, called: springtime for Hitler, but the original I found even more fun and exiting.
Any idea what it was ? must have been made during the sixties I guess
I suspect that you are confusing two Mel Brooks' films.

In 1942 Ernst Lubitsch directed Jack Benny and Carole Lombard in "To Be or Not To Be" an extremely sophisticated comedy about a troupe of actors in Nazi-occupied Poland. In 1983 Mel Brooks did a remake of the film (directed by Alan Johnson) starring himself and Anne Bancroft in the starring roles; it's enjoyable, but falls short of the original.

Brooks also did "The Producers" (1968) a film about two unlikely Broadway producers who set out to produce a flop, with rather predictable results. The play they choose to produce is "Spring Time For Hitler"... you can imagine the rest.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Originally Posted by SHOWSOMECLASS

In the vintage WWII category my first would be "12 O' Clock High" made in 1949 when original era uniforms were still available. The movie trys to help americans understand in reverse history how low morale actually was overseas and what airman in certain theatres endured.
My wife tells me that when she attended the SAC NCO Academy in 1990 they showed "12 O'Clock High" as a lesson in leadership styles and effectiveness. They didn't show it at the TAC NCOA I attended, but I was already very familiar with it. I first read the book in junior high, and had watched it every chance I got once I found out it had been made into a movie. Still a favorite!

Regards,
Tom

That one almost goes without saying! I have TOCH on VHS and DVD and movie photos of General Savage hung in my garage! I must say though, as a kid I was really enthralled with the TV version with Robert Lansing. It sparked my enthusiasm for flying and I soloed at age 15! Still maintain my ticket to this day! -dixon cannon

alsendk

A-List Customer
I suspect that you are confusing two Mel Brooks' films.

In 1942 Ernst Lubitsch directed Jack Benny and Carole Lombard in "To Be or Not To Be" an extremely sophisticated comedy about a troupe of actors in Nazi-occupied Poland. In 1983 Mel Brooks did a remake of the film (directed by Alan Johnson) starring himself and Anne Bancroft in the starring roles; it's enjoyable, but falls short of the original.

Brooks also did "The Producers" (1968) a film about two unlikely Broadway producers who set out to produce a flop, with rather predictable results. The play they choose to produce is "Spring Time For Hitler"... you can imagine the rest.

RATHDOWN
You are completely right about it all.
Apparently I was mixing these two films together in memory, and it WAS Ernst Lubitch name I was seeking.
Remembering it being funnier than The Mel Brooks version, this I seemed to get right along the way. I was 23 when I first saw it, so memory has been confusing me , but now I will try to find it in the danish film institute, where they have most of these old movies transferred to DVD`s for purchase.
Thank you RATHDOWN, and all of you , for enlightening my weak memory of a most enjoyable film.

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
Tobeornottobe.jpg
[/IMG]

Made it by some great help from some of the fellow loungers here.
Ordered it through Amazon.uk, and are now impatiently awaiting it to arrive at my doorstep in two days time.

Didn`t know that Lubitch together with Billy Wilder also directed Nitochka starring Greta Garbo.
Only remember Wilder from Roman holidays, which is also a wonderful movie.

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
I think Bladerunner, the Final Cut is the best sci-fi film ever made. It makes you ask what makes us human.

I presume That Bladerunner...the final cut is the same movie, but with the tricky end, making Deckard become a replicant himself.
Another exellent suggestion is of course oh Brother where are you. Strange it is that this pearl haven`t been mentioned before.
And how I love the song, being sung in the studio...never heard it before...a wonderful folk song...old one I believe?

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I'm not sure if it qualifies as a cult film as such, but 'School For Scoundrels' with the wonderful Terry-Thomas is a favourite in our house. My sons (8 and 13) love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy