Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FL gets mention on BBC Radio 4

Caledonia

Practically Family
Hi guys

Haven't been around for a while but couldn't not tell you about an FL mention on BBC Radio 4. Not sure where to put it (please move as appropriate dearest bartenders).

On the programme Thinking Allowed (19 Nov 08) Prof Gary Cross has a new book out about the maturity of men or somesuch. He discusses growing up, and at some point the topic of Cary Grant and Fedoras comes up. Sadly he refers to the FL as focussing on the Golden Era by wearing hats, and forgetting about how hard it was back in the "classic style" time, ie depression era, war, etc. Of course, we all know that we all know loads about the history of the time, and the FL actively remembers not just the fashion but the social and economic history. Nonetheless, we got on Radio 4! :eusa_clap Want to listen, see below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/thinkingallowed/thinkingallowed_20081112.shtml

Story

I'll Lock Up
From the Wall Street Journal, 23 Sep 08

Man and Sillyman: How the model of American masculinity became a stoner with an Xbox

http://sigcarlfred.blogspot.com/2008/09/man-and-sillyman-how-model-of-american.html

Mr. Cross's early chapter on the Greatest Generation is perhaps the richest in his thoughtful journey through the male-strom of modern masculinity. Transcending the tired clichés about the era's "Father Knows Best" patriarchal conformity, he finds in the 1950s culture a complicated response toward older ideals of masculine probity and self- denial. Of course, fathers were often distant figures, organization men who marched off to work each day in their fedoras and suits. :fedora:

But the uniform had its purpose; it announced men's mature status and symbolized their resistance to the frivolities of fashion and consumerism. Mr. Cross also finds something to admire in the TV "adult westerns" of the period. "Gunsmoke" and "Wagon Train" go well beyond simple morality tales, he finds on re-viewing them, dramatizing the experienced dilemmas of male responsibility.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Caledonia said:
Sadly he refers to the FL as focussing on the Golden Era by wearing hats, and forgetting about how hard it was back in the "classic style" time, ie depression era, war, etc.

Wow, how unfortunate. Yet another Professor who doesn't research. I've run into my share of those.

Well, cheers on the notice ladies and gents! :eusa_clap

warbird

One Too Many
Well most of that discussion is on threads that you have to be a member to see.

He probably wasn't aware of it and never registered as a member, so he never saw that part of the FL.

Someone should email him and let him know that he got that part wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner