Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flared Breeches Pattern?

Springer

New in Town
Hi everyone, first post here! I've been working on making my own clothes, and I'm currently looking for a pattern for some riding style flared breeches (with lace-up calves etc.) I did a search here, and google, and nothing has really turned up. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge!

Over here at least they're called jodhpurs. I did see a pattern draft online once of a pair someone deconstructed. I'll have a look and see if I can dig it up again.

Springer

New in Town
Excellent! All of the links will definitely give me a place to start... very much appreciated everyone!

If you draft your own patterns I can help you. I haven't seen any jodhpur patterns for sale.

I'll probably try to draft my own, because not only am I a DIY'er... I'm cheap too. What suggestions would you have to get me started? I just recently drafted a jeans pattern for myself (my first pants pattern drafting experience) and they turned out pretty well (they fit me perfectly at least). They're a straight leg, high-waist workwear style pants pattern... quite different from jodhpurs. However, should I begin with that?

I'll begin looking over the documents that were posted...

Qirrel

Practically Family
Excellent! All of the links will definitely give me a place to start... very much appreciated everyone!

I'll probably try to draft my own, because not only am I a DIY'er... I'm cheap too. What suggestions would you have to get me started? I just recently drafted a jeans pattern for myself (my first pants pattern drafting experience) and they turned out pretty well (they fit me perfectly at least). They're a straight leg, high-waist workwear style pants pattern... quite different from jodhpurs. However, should I begin with that?

I'll begin looking over the documents that were posted...

Drafting isn't that hards really. You will get a good pattern if you follow the instructions exactly and to the proportionate measurements. http://www.costumes.org/history/100p...ttersguide.htm This has some good instructions at the beginning of the book on trousers but the language is a bit convoluted and takes some time to understand.
There is a lot of good information on the cutter and tailor forums to get you started (www.cutterandtailor.com/forums). Including some scanned books containing drafts for jodhpurs. For example: http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=937 and another one: http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=936.

Soak up some information from there to get the general idea about how to go from pattern to finished trousers. Your experience with the jeans will of course help as many of the principles are the same as for jodhpurs. Jodhpurs don't pose as much of a problem fit-wise either, the place you need to worry about is the calf/lower leg area. If you put lacing at the bottom instead of buttons it is easier to get a good fit as the lacing is adjustable if you don't get a good fit right away. My advice is to follow the instructions very carefully to the word the first times you draft. When i started making my own patterns I made adjustments here and there without really knowing the full impact on the finished product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy